Hi guys!

I was just wondering if anybody in here has ever tried Q-Tuner pickups and if so, what they thought about it. I'm planning on buying a set but I'm not sure yet, what to expect of them.

Greetings
3-R4Z0R
for 300+ a set, they better be good. They sound nice from the demos both SC and humbuckers. What set ur thinkin?
"Steven Seagal is like godzilla for barbies" -> Retard
Quote by Wiintruder
for 300+ a set, they better be good. They sound nice from the demos both SC and humbuckers. What set ur thinkin?

I'm thinking about the High-Z neck humbucker and the Super-High-Z bridge humbucker set. In red of course. =)
I'm thinking on combining these with a SourceAudio Multiwave Distortion effect (which is to be bought too).

What I've read on the internet is either extremely positive or rather disappointed (meaning: either crystal clear, almost acoustic depth in sound to no-sustain and muddy). What's been pointed out a lot is that these pickups might be picky to set up correctly (distance to strings and tone-pot-quality and such). That's why I'd like a few more opinions.

Greetings
3-R4Z0R
They certainly are very picky. A friend of mine has them (yeah I know, it's not like I own them myself - but I have played his guitar many times and I was the one who installed them in the first place, I've gotten fair use out of them). You have to get every single thing about your rig just right or they sound terrible. With everything on his guitar at 6 (his guitar has 500k pots), they sound good for jazz or shred metal - but at anything above 6 they get very shrill, like a Telecaster with a massive treble boost, and at anything below 6 they get very muddy and lose all definition. The guitar also suffers from sustain problems with the neck pickup, we're not sure why though; notes just die within a second and a half when using the neck pickup on his guitar.

They strike me as the sort of thing that fusion-jazz elitists will love but they're too impractical for anything else. They're the modern art of pickups. On a technical level they're genius but you're not going to want to hang them on your wall and look at them every day. I would avoid them. Suffice to say my friend has had them for four months and has now gotten completely sick of them and is changing them for some regular old DiMarzios in the new year.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
[...]we're not sure why though; notes just die within a second and a half when using the neck pickup on his guitar.[...]

First off: Thanks for your opinion. Seems they're even more picky than what I've heard first.
At least I think I know the answer to that issue: It's the distance between the strings and the pickup that either makes the sustain almost endless or totally kills it off. If you have some time before throwing them out, try adjusting the position of the pickups. And I guess the bridge pickup will work better without tone control. And have you tried adjusting the pole pieces that Q-Tuner advertises on their homepage?

A friend of mine pointed this out: EDIT: See next post, it's him. =)
This might help you and I hope there will be a recording soon with these pickups from the one who started that thread.

Greetings
3-R4Z0R
Last edited by 3-R4Z0R at Dec 28, 2009,
About the sound: They can be adjusted. Read this: http://www.q-tuner.com/adjust.shtml

About the sustain problems: They need to be the right distance from the strings. See here: http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/pickups-electronics-and-general-tech/93041-npd-the-q-tuners-are-in-first-impressions.html
I'm currently working on a system to generate MIDI from the motion of a guitar. More info coming soon.
Yeah, we went through all the adjustments and whatever when we installed them; I'm all too aware of how pickup and string height can effect the tone and performance of a guitar, I don't have my strings set at slide-playing heights for comfort. But we've tried every adjustment possible, including every combination of pole piece height that is possible (literally, we sat down, worked out on paper every possible combination then went through them one-by-one. That was two days wasted right there) and nothing works out. We tried different string and pickup height combinations, nothing. That neck pickup is fundamentally buggered for sustain.

My theory on it is that one of your pickups always has to be ****ed when using Q-Tuners. When one of them is close to the strings it catches their full response but of course that hurts the sustain; having two or more pickups close enough to get full response means you're going to kill any chance the strings have of rinigng out for more than a couple of seconds. This is worse at the neck which is at vital point int he length of the string where the strings can potentially vibrate more than anywhere else - but they can also potentially become trapped by the magnetic pull of the pickups to a further degree too.

The end result seems to be, we can either have a good bridge and middle tone but a shafted neck pickup or we could get the neck sounding good but it seems we would have to remove the bridge and middle pickups to compensate for the massive magnetic drag on the strings.

Like I said, if you're some kind of really pedantic jazz player who will sit down and work out the actual mathematics and science behind the guitar and sit there adjusting everything by a tenth of a millimetre at a time to get the most flawless sound and you're going to do lots of piano-like tap playing then great, go for them. Otherwise they are far too much of an arse to bother with. Even the bridge pickup on this guitar, which is fundamentally fine, doesn't actually sound any better than any other decent aftermarket pickup.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
What guitar did you have them in?
I'm currently working on a system to generate MIDI from the motion of a guitar. More info coming soon.
They are currently sitting in a Warmoth rear-routed Strat build. Body is black korina (limba), solid construction, neck is AAA flame maple back with an ebony fretboard and stainless steel frets. Bridge is a narrow-spaced Strat hardtail bridge, nut was one of the two black TUSQ nuts they do, I can't remember what tuners the guitar has, obviously I don't have it to hand and I can't be ****ed to phone up to check that sort of thing. But rear-route korina/limba Strat with maple/ebony fretboard and a hardtail bridge are the main factors you need to know.