sort of new to guitar playing and i want to know the 'correct' or atleast most used technique for playing stuff like this:

D -- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
A -- - 7 - 8 - 7 - 10- 8 - 7 - 8
E --00 - 0 - 0 - 0 - 0 - 0 - 0 - 0
*pm all the open e string notes*
DDDDD D D D DDD DD DD D or
DDUDU D U D UDU DU DU D

Currently i play all downstrokes and i can already start to see that i probably wont be able to get too much speed playing this way.

any advice is welcome. thanks.
all of your open notes should be down, everything else should be an up, unless its something where you do one open note then 3 notes on the a, at that point you need to go for a downstroke on the open, and then, starting with an upstroke, alternate on the three other notes, basically just making sure that whereve you end up makes it easier to get back to your original note
General rule is, always alternate.
Of course, the reason you'd downpick is for different sound.
So in fairness, it's okay to downpick.
This is "inside the strings picking"
so really, just play what's comfortable, John Petrucci said that this was difficult to master, and that some have already got the technique down, and that we'd have to kill them all.

You've already got a good idea of how to play it, so play how you think feels best, and downpicking sounds meaner
On playing the Paul Gilbert signature at the guitar store extensively, my missus sighed:
"Put it down now, It's like you love that guitar more than me!"
In Which I replied.
"Well it has got two F-Holes!"
do it this way
UDDUDUDUDUDUDUDU

"inside the strings picking".
^^this
Last edited by sbinlb at Dec 28, 2009,
It's all about sound. If you practice enough, you can get great speed with downstrokes. I can say I downpick very fast, but that's thanks to Metallica and playing their Master of Puppets album all the time with downstrokes (with countless hours of practice, that's actually a decent routine for developing downstroke speed)
" When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix
Is that cut you with a linoleum knife? By mastodon?
Nevermind its different than that.
He's no good to me dead-Boba Fett
Last edited by buddyboombotz at Dec 28, 2009,
Depends a bit on the genre & tempo.

Generally for punk or metal at 130bpm+ you downpick everything except 1/16th or 1/32nd notes.

Generally, classic rock is alternate or finger picked
wow thanks for all the fast responses. pretty much validated what i thought but ofcourse its never cut n dry and it always comes down to personal preference it seems. But definitely seems worth while learning to play that sort of stuff alternating for speed and when its slower and heavier switch to doing all downstrokes for that extra punch.

And by the way the riff is from 'Reinvention' by 'As i Lay Dying'
trust me if its as i lay dying (or any metalcore song) learn it with alternate picking the way i posted earlier
Quote by magilla gorilla
thanks. and yeah i guess i'll start the pain staking process of learning to do it alternating >.<

Don't worry, when you're shredding alternately picked licks you'll realise it wasn't a waste of time.
On playing the Paul Gilbert signature at the guitar store extensively, my missus sighed:
"Put it down now, It's like you love that guitar more than me!"
In Which I replied.
"Well it has got two F-Holes!"