you mean like outsid of the amp? If so, it wouldn't work I don't think cuz you would have to change your tube setup too
Does your combo speaker plug into the back panel or is it hardwired? If it plugs in, then you should be able to just use an attenuator regularly with no issues. Otherwise, you'll probably have to make some modifications to the speaker wire. I don't believe there's such a thing as an attenuator specific to combos but I could be wrong.

Which amp are you using?
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
Its gonna be weird cuz if you put the wattage down, you wont get any overdrive cuz your tubes are gonna be too much . . . right? I thought the point of an attenuator was to get od at different volumes
Quote by Nike-Man
Its gonna be weird cuz if you put the wattage down, you wont get any overdrive cuz your tubes are gonna be too much . . . right? I thought the point of an attenuator was to get od at different volumes

wat

There is a specific combo attenuator made my Dr. Z and I'm sure there are others. The only difference between using one with a head and cab is the possibility that there's a bit more work involved if the wire connecting the speaker and amp doesn't have a 1/4" jack on it.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by Nike-Man

The point of an attenuator is to achieve tube overdrive at low volumes. It is placed between your speakers and your power amp section.

You achieve overdrive from your power amp by cranking your master volume/power amp volume on the amplifier, and then lowering the volume on the attenuator.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
Ahhhhhhhhh, I get it. I thought it would've lessed the signal to the tubes, but it is post tube. I get it now thanks