I'm planning to buy a new guitar. First I was looking at Epiphone Tony Iommi but then I realized that I'd save about 70€ if I bought an Epiphone SG G-400 and a Gibson Tony Iommi signature pickup for bridge position. Do you think that this is a good idea at all and should I change the humbucker myself?
A better idea would be to avoid the Iommi Humbucker. It's not a pickup that I would go out of my way to put in my axe.

What's your budget and what kind of sound are you looking to get.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
450€ (about $650) is absolute max for the guitar. I'd like to get quite metal, Tony Iommi like sound 'cause I mostly play Sabbath/Heaven And Hell. It doesn't have to be all the way that heavy but metal anyway.
The iommi pickups are way overpriced. You dont really need a fancy pickup to get black sabbath tone. His early guitar had p90s in it. A g400 with some decent replacement passives will get you what you want.
Could you suggest any good humbuckers for metal with good price/quality relationship? And I need only one for the bridge 'cause I never use the neck pickup.
The Iommi pickups are extremely overpriced (as are all Gibson pickups) but it will help nail his signature tone. Isn't really good for anything else though.
What amp are you using?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I'm looking to buy a Laney LX20 or LX35. Tell me if they're not good so I can look up something else.
Not really worth worrying about pickups yet then, they're not going to be an issue for a while yet - better to spend more on the amp.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
save your dough on the pickups and use the stock ones. spend the money you saved to get a better amp. as you progress, you'll learn what pickups you'd rather have ( i like duncan JB's on the bridge or emg zakk wyldes) and you'll have made a better choice
Th Iommi sig pickups are priced high because they use a new manufacturing practice for them that is not used for any other pickup out there. These pickups are the only "Patent Applied For" pickups made by Gibson since the original PAF was released. Gibson still refuses to divulge the secret used to make these pickups and what makes them so different.

From my experience, they are very high output, but retain clarity and warmth. They are also quite noise free with great attack and tightness.
I like them and would use them if the opprotunuty presented itself.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Last edited by Van Noord at Dec 28, 2009,
Quote by Van Noord
Th Iommi sig pickups are priced high because they use a new manufacturing practice for them that is not used for any other pickup out there. These pickups are the only "Patent Applied For" pickups made by Gibson since the original PAF was released. Gibson still refuses to divulge the secret used to make these pickups and what makes them so different.

Haha, they're not bad pickups but that's the biggest pile of marketing bullshit I've heard in a while. Gibson never fail to amuse.

Personally I'd avoid the G-400 and see if you can pick up something much higher quality like a Reverend, Italia, Hagstrom etc
Quote by kyle62
Haha, they're not bad pickups but that's the biggest pile of marketing bullshit I've heard in a while. Gibson never fail to amuse.
Yeah, its also very easy to assume the big companies are only in existence to trick you and steal your money . Believe what you want, but the fact is that the Iommi sig pups are only the second PAF pups since the original ones were produced.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
id go with a use gibson faded SG. can put an Iommi in it down the road and maybe change pots as well. i have a g400 and its a decent guitar, but the faded sg from gibson is a better buy if you get it used.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Will preamp tubes turn black and melt slightly undernormal conditions and still work?
I have the Iommi G-400 and I love it.. I'd just go ahead and get that, because (in my opinion) the quality is way higher than the regular Epiphone G-400s.

The pickups are okay, but honestly I've been considering a new bridge pickup for mine. They do sound sorta Sabbath-y, though. They remind me of his guitar sound on Heaven and Hell and Mob Rules.