Page 1 of 2
Well my aunt is celebrating her 50th in about half an hour, and me, my sister and my cousins learned some songs that we are gonna play for her, to acompany the powerpoint presentation my dad made for her. And im dreading it.
I have played for my grandmas 70th, my grandpas 70th, my great-grandmothers 95th, and i have hated it every single time. While playing in front of a full venue is the most fun thing i have done, and i still love to do it, playing for relatives sux.
Especially since they all come from a music background, and i am the only one without any formal music education.
So pit, share your stories about playing in front of relatives.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
i probably have to do it tonight
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
Your dad made a powerpoint presentation for your aunt's birthday? That seems a little..... businesslike to me
i play metal, and all of their eardrums would rupture.
"Hey kid. You wanna cigarette?"

"No thanks! I/m already hooked on Fonicks!"

I cannot stand it, I play a Necrophagist riff and my Uncle is like "What the hell is this crap, lets get some real stuff going on, throw in the yellow submarine!"

Haha.
hide your kids, hide your wife.

Quote by angus_young_32
I'd rather kill myself than commit suicide.

UG Hatecrew FTW
I once did an acoustic version of a certain Cannibal Corpse song for my mother... didn't quite go down too well
Start with Here Comes The Sun, but then footswitch it to I Cum Blood. I guarantee they will never ask you to play again.
Quote by sadSTATUE
Uhmmm... Well, apparently I was mentioned in a thread called "Japan and Lesbians."

Quote by Unknown_Biskit
Try typing "potatoes" with your dick then submit it.

My cover of Manchester Orchestra's "I Can Feel Your Pain"
http://www.mediafire.com/?jfvt54j4mkiiq99
My mum came to one of my gigs once and halfway through a song I saw her giving me the thumbs up and it completely threw me off. I lost all sense of rythm and tripped over my words so catastrophically that I had to restart the song.
"We must become members of a new race, overcoming petty prejudice, owing our ultimate allegiance not to nations, but to our fellow men within the human community."
- H.I.M Haile Selassie I
i don't mind it. i play viking/death metal in front of my blues-loving father and i couldn't care less
I'M A COWBOY
I hate playing infront of relatives, don't mind sitting practising in the same room but as soon as they ask me to play something... throws me off big time. Same with gigging, I haven't done any yet but my parents keeping going on about how they'll come and see me which again is very off putting.
I am the kind of guy that goes crazy onstage so when my family comes to my gig it's like...uncomfortable...
Quote by Vagabond21
Ewww the searchbar is a slut, it gets used everyday...

Quote by tremeloud

The brain says "hey, lets be friends" and the dick says "hey, lets get those clothes off, eh?"

Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
Yeaaaaaah, Huuuuuhuuuu, Saaaaaaah and MASTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR are all Hetfield memes.
I get red faced and embarrassed, but my dad is usually on drums if i play in my house, so its alright.
i cant stand playing for them!! for them im taller everytime i see them and jimi hendrix would be my student!! ajajja
Quote by ChrixtianB
i cant stand playing for them!! for them im taller everytime i see them and jimi hendrix would be my student!! ajajja

what?
Quote by Vagabond21
Ewww the searchbar is a slut, it gets used everyday...

Quote by tremeloud

The brain says "hey, lets be friends" and the dick says "hey, lets get those clothes off, eh?"

Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
Yeaaaaaah, Huuuuuhuuuu, Saaaaaaah and MASTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR are all Hetfield memes.
Quote by nigeltheginger
Your dad made a powerpoint presentation for your aunt's birthday? That seems a little..... businesslike to me

It contains pics from her life with all of her big moments and everything. Its not like he put in graphs and flowcharts. Its actually pretty nice.
And the songs are already chosen, we are playing the ones that she likes. And i doubt that Lamb Of God would go down very well with a room full of midle-aged people.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
I quite like it. I play for my old man quite alot and he loves it because I play The Beatles and he was never allowed to listen to them as a kid because they were Scousers
UG'S SEXIEST TRANNY 2010

UG'S 3rd HOTTEST CROSSDRESSER 2011
Yes, I totallys hates playings in front of relatives

Seriously though, I hate it because I don't listen to or play much stuff that they like, so I always feel awkward playing in front of them.
Quote by ChrixtianB

Ummmm.....

what?
Quote by imdeth
You're like internet Jesus!

This signature feels so empty now.
Ill play stuff like tenacious d but make it death metal...

Itll start off with a clean intro... Then distortion comes in...
SO I SLICED HIS ****ING COCKLES WITH A LONG AND SHINY BLADE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The best part is.... Theyre all super mormon
I played 'Sunny' for my grandfather's 70th, and while everyone loved it, I made SO many mistakes, I truly hated it. Plus mum was filming and they were all kinda... 'perched' waiting for me to start, I felt way too pressured and as a result, sucked.
I had to play some stuff for Christmas. Since it was stuff I dont like it was uncomfortable and I hated it. But I did make $75 in tips since I come from a huge family who knew I didnt get anything for Christmas. After I was done playing christmas stuff a few of my cousins and an uncle came and had me play good music and I made another $50 so it turned out to not be that bad.
When an adult has one imaginary friend it's called insanity. When lots of adults have the same imaginary friend it's called religion.
Gear
Hamer Slammer PAC 3-RM
Fender Sidekick 25 Reverb
Ibanez SR406

GAS
Peavey Tour TKO 115 400W
I do...
█████████████████████████
Quote by bloodycomfort
I cannot stand it, I play a Necrophagist riff and my Uncle is like "What the hell is this crap, lets get some real stuff going on, throw in the yellow submarine!"

Haha.

Good for your uncle... you should listen to him sometime.
Remember this. Remember the summer. Whatever you do. Don't forget.
My family are my faithful audience. They hear me wither they want to or not...
2010's Sexiest Female Uger

Quote by WhiteStripesIII
Same with gigging, I haven't done any yet but my parents keeping going on about how they'll come and see me which again is very off putting.

I had the same issue.

I just told my mom you needed to be a college student to enter the venue.
I'd much rather play to a crowd of thousands than to a crowd of the same amount with family members in it or to just family members. I hate having to play for my family.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Yes,

just like wesselbindt says, it's alot harder because you know you're going to get responses and this could be the only time they hear you play.

Besides, my family hates anything remotely guitar-based so they wouldn't be interested.
Quote by RG5EX1
Ummmm.....

what?

I think he means that, even if he played Mary Had A Little lamb out of tune, they'd tell him he was awesome, when he'd rather have actual criticism.
Quote by gorkyporky
...to acompany the powerpoint presentation my dad made for her.

Do you guys live in an office complex or something? And if I was good I wouldn't mind.
If i'm doing it formally, yes. My granny always makes me play to her which I can put up with, but I had to play at my grandparents 50th wedding anniversary, and I hated it.
im ok with it being planned and all but last summer at my family reunion i was playing guitar and my uncle was like play something blah blah blah

eventually everyone was like please play us something and it was so sudden i dont know what to do and i sucked really badly

and then after about a minute my cousin (who was drunk out of his mind) was like what the **** thats it?

████████████████████

███████████████████████
███████████████████████

█████████████████████

███████████████████████

█████████████████████

█████████████████████

███████████████████

█████████████████████

████████████████████
I don't mind. I played Lagrima, a classical guitar piece on my grandfather's funeral. It was nice, and they liked it.
"A war is coming, I've seen it in my dreams. Fires sweeping through the earth, bodies in the streets, cities turned to dust. Retaliation..."

Check out my amazing band!
An Abstract Illusion
Page 1 of 2