I'm planning on starting rugby this year, never having played before I don't know which position I would be good for and I don't want to show up and look completely unexpirenced. Any help?
uhhh yeah lol
just turn up and ask the coach which position they think youd be good for |:
ALL OF MY CRAP SONGS/IDEAS

Quote by God
LOLjk guise, im not real.

Quote by JDbbx
I don't want to go into detail but it involves my girlfriend, a condom and 10 seconds.

If anyone sigs that I shall be most irritated
if your a hard bastard get to the back or mid, if you're quick on your feet get in a forward position
well you might want to start by describing your physical attributes, i.e height,weight,personal strengths,e.t.c.

im about 6'1, 76 kilos and play lock(second row(forward pack))
Quote by lespaul#1
Dr_Shred wins the thread

LEAVE THE PASTRIES ALONE!!!
Quote by Sir-Shredalot
Just ask to go scrum half. Very easy and gentle position bro.

nice and gentle lol, scrum half is hell. if your playing against a team thats very good at counter-rucking (like mine ) you are screwed beyond belief. in the past five games weve injured 3 scrum halfs
Quote by lespaul#1
Dr_Shred wins the thread

Quote by dr_shred
well you might want to start by describing your physical attributes, i.e height,weight,personal strengths,e.t.c.

im about 6'1, 76 kilos and play lock(second row(forward pack))

A bit small to be a 2nd rows, no? I'm 6'3 and 83kg and I'm one of the smaller second rows on our squad.

☻/

/▌

/ \

PSN ID: Lord-MacTooth
Quote by leprechauner57
5'1, 49 kilos, pretty quick on my feet
i'm playing for an under 18 team

forgot to say im playing 1st 15 for an under 19 team

if you feel up for it you might (based on your size) be pretty good for scrum half, but if you dont feel up for that i would say winger or fullback
Quote by lespaul#1
Dr_Shred wins the thread

Quote by Capt_Clarkson
if your a hard bastard get to the back or mid, if you're quick on your feet get in a forward position

Pretty much this.

Although I don't play rugby that much anymore and when I do it is just with a few friends...
"We must become members of a new race, overcoming petty prejudice, owing our ultimate allegiance not to nations, but to our fellow men within the human community."
- H.I.M Haile Selassie I
I'm about 5'8" and I was the full back...it all depends on what you are best at doing, for me it was taking people out and nothing else
Was lacking a decent sig. Still is.
I heard scrum half is a pretty technical position.
I asked one person and they said to go for outside or inside center, but i'm still learnin how to kick a rugby ball.
Quote by eterom11
A bit small to be a 2nd rows, no? I'm 6'3 and 83kg and I'm one of the smaller second rows on our squad.

yea just a bit im the smallest second row on our squad but im built like f*** so that makes up for the lack of weight, im only 16 though i still have 2 years of the under 19 squad before i leave school
Quote by lespaul#1
Dr_Shred wins the thread

Quote by Sir-Shredalot
Just ask to go scrum half. Very easy and gentle position bro.

Scrum half ain't easy and gentle, so much responsibilty on your shoulders. Knowing calls, getting the ball to the backs, knowing whether to commit your forwards to the ruck or not. Its a lot of responsibility.

Depends, I've played at blind wing and full back. Relatively boring positions but when you have to do your jbo you better do it well.

Edit - Since you don't really know much and are kinda small and quick on your feet, try out for wing? All you have to do is just run really quick, crash if you have to if you can, sidestep opponents and run and stuff. Pretty much be nimble. But you have to catch a ball well on the run
Last edited by nazfomo at Dec 28, 2009,
I'd say wing, if you're quick, specially for a beginner as there's probably overall less tackling involved and less offensive moves you need to learn. However if you fancy bulking up a bit you'd probably make a decent hooker if you're any good at throwing. I played hooker for about four years and loved it
How much would I have to bulk up? cause i'm kind of interested in playin hooker, it seems like an interesting position
Quote by leprechauner57
How much would I have to bulk up? cause i'm kind of interested in playin hooker, it seems like an interesting position

Enough to be able to push around some of the backs
Really its a case of having a strong back and shoulders, because scrums can be absolutely brutal and youll find yourself being crushed from all four sides while trying to hook a ball with your feet. If you can hold yourself steady and solid and not allow your back to arch under pressure from front, back and sides, you should be fine
Quote by nigeltheginger
Enough to be able to push around some of the backs
Really its a case of having a strong back and shoulders, because scrums can be absolutely brutal and youll find yourself being crushed from all four sides while trying to hook a ball with your feet. If you can hold yourself steady and solid and not allow your back to arch under pressure from front, back and sides, you should be fine

Hahah, hmmmm well I recently broke my collar bone, could it prove to be a problem in a scrum?
Quote by leprechauner57
Hahah, hmmmm well I recently broke my collar bone, could it prove to be a problem in a scrum?

If it's properly healed and isn't giving you any problems at all now then it should be alright in a scrum, and I'm sure lots of people who have broken their collarbones have managed to play rugby just fine. However, if it does give you problems in the scrum it's probably not such a good idea to continue
To be a forward you have to be at least like, what 65ish kilos in your age range? At least, to play it well. That my opinion though. Being a front rower is dangerous too especially on your neck and back. You can end up breaking them if the scrum collapses badly.
Alright cool, I'm pretty sure it's properly healed it hasn't been giving me any trouble other than being sore every so often.
I could try to bulk up to play hooker, i've got a few months before the season starts

edit: I'm a girl, so the weights may be off? I don't know if that changes anything but figured i'd mention it since I can't gain as much muscle as a guy can
Last edited by leprechauner57 at Dec 28, 2009,
Quote by leprechauner57
Alright cool, I'm pretty sure it's properly healed it hasn't been giving me any trouble other than being sore every so often.
I could try to bulk up to play hooker, i've got a few months before the season starts

edit: I'm a girl, so the weights may be off? I don't know if that changes anything but figured i'd mention it since I can't gain as much muscle as a guy can

Ah right I didn't know that serves me right for not bothering to check
I don't really know about female heights and weights but are you smaller (height and weight) than most girls your age, bigger or about average?
Quote by leprechauner57
Eh, I'm smaller than most

Everything I just said pretty much still applies then, as does most of what everyone else has said