Ok so I definitely need a new amp, I've had my microcube for 3 years lol. I play rock, classic rock, hard rock, metal, jazz, and stuff like Satriani/Vai. So I really like those amps with a thick crunchy distortion. Generally I only play in the garage, sometimes with a drummer or a band, and we're only going to do a gig or two for now. My budget is around $500 max. I've been looking at the Blackstar HT-5, Bugera v22, and the Vox Valvetronix VT15, and if you guys can suggest some other amps or give me pros/cons on the amps i listed, that'd be great . Thanks!
Jet City 20 + a boost.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Do any of you guys know if the Blackstar HT-5 can play over a drummer? Or maybe do a small gig? I don't want to buy a cabinet but this amp is just amazing
No, the HT-5 is meant as a studio/practice amp, it won't be loud enough to get over a drummer, that's why I suggested a 20W amp.
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by JesusCrisp
Jet City 20 + a boost.

I second that. I've heard nothing but great things about the new Jet City amps

Current Gear

Gibson Flying V
Epiphone Les Paul Ultra
Jackson Professional Dinky
Fender Blues Deluxe
Vox Vt30

Mad Effects
There is only one Jet City 20W amp ATM, available as combo or stack.
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
have people actually played the jet city amp? seems to be getting a lot of recomendations for an amp that hasnt been out that long. not to say it isnt a great amp, but it just seems to be getting over hyped. especially since i wouldnt recomend it for half the styles he listed...
Ok so I might get the Jet City 20, how does it handle things like Maiden or maybe Metallica, at the heaviest?
I just got it today, played it for like 5 hours straight, I love it. It can handle Metallica and Hendrix, a very versatile amp. For higher gain/more distorted stuff you may want to run an overdrive through it, or anything of the sort. This amp isn't over hyped, it's a truly great tube amp for the price, no doubt about it. Virtually a steal if you ask me. It's very versatile despite it's simplicities, and with the help of any number of pedals (she handles pedals oh so well) the sky's the limit.
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
Haha... sounds like Jet City is the newest band wagon on UG.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by ragingkitty
Haha... sounds like Jet City is the newest band wagon on UG.

*Gasps* You take that back!
sadly my GC ran out of most of the tube amps i was looking at (blackstar ht-5, bugera v22, blackheart handsome devil). Tomorrow I'm gonna try the Jet City, and see what its really like. Btw, what's it like at a bedroom volume?
Quote by iLesPaul
sadly my GC ran out of most of the tube amps i was looking at (blackstar ht-5, bugera v22, blackheart handsome devil). Tomorrow I'm gonna try the Jet City, and see what its really like. Btw, what's it like at a bedroom volume?

Pretty freakin' loud!

More volume than you need
Fender 1996 Floyd Rose Standard Stratocaster
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon
Marshall RG-1 Regenerator
Electro-Harmonix/Sovtek (Black) Big Muff Pi

Visit my site for some FREE RE-AMPING! http://www.wix.com/reamps/reamp
Yeh, it can play nice and quiet, yet up to par with a drummer and a small venue, from what I've gathered playing it. I still haven't pushed it past 5, so that should give you an idea.
Last edited by CL/\SH at Dec 29, 2009,
In general... tube amps aren't exactly bedroom friendly.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Jet City may be the new Blackheart.

Why not try the Bugera 1960? I've been wanting to try that one pretty bad.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
And I know this is a noob question, but what if I get a blackstar ht-5 (only 5 watts) and I connect it to a power amp? And what power amp should I get, I know absolutely nothing about power amps
Quote by iLesPaul
And I know this is a noob question, but what if I get a blackstar ht-5 (only 5 watts) and I connect it to a power amp? And what power amp should I get, I know absolutely nothing about power amps

Well at least you're being honest about not knowing anything about them...this would be unnecessary as your amp already has a power amp inside, as well as a preamp. The power amp is pretty much what creates the output of the amp, where as the preamp does most of the tone shaping (though i'm sure you were a lil more aware of what a preamp did anyway)

If you were considering getting a power amp so that you could push more volume, then there are better ways to do this. Most practical would be to just get an amp with higher output such as 15 or 20 or more watts (valve, that is). Almost all your styles will benefit from having power amp breakup as well, which is the benefit of valve amps. If the 5 watts sounds close to the volume you want, but not QUITE there, you can always get a 4x12 cab or even two (if you think it's worth it for that amp), and it'll push just a lil more volume. Though, I believe if you have ANY doubts, just get more wattage. My (former) Blackheart Little Giant head/cab was 5 watts as well, and got reasonably loud for a small amp, but it never made the room rumble like my current amp will out of a single 12" speaker...so if you're looking for an amp that'll be more than just a practice/small jam amp, i'd personally suggest more wattage.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Quote by slash_rocks2005
Well at least you're being honest about not knowing anything about them...this would be unnecessary as your amp already has a power amp inside, as well as a preamp. The power amp is pretty much what creates the output of the amp, where as the preamp does most of the tone shaping (though i'm sure you were a lil more aware of what a preamp did anyway)

If you were considering getting a power amp so that you could push more volume, then there are better ways to do this. Most practical would be to just get an amp with higher output such as 15 or 20 or more watts (valve, that is). Almost all your styles will benefit from having power amp breakup as well, which is the benefit of valve amps. If the 5 watts sounds close to the volume you want, but not QUITE there, you can always get a 4x12 cab or even two (if you think it's worth it for that amp), and it'll push just a lil more volume. Though, I believe if you have ANY doubts, just get more wattage. My (former) Blackheart Little Giant head/cab was 5 watts as well, and got reasonably loud for a small amp, but it never made the room rumble like my current amp will out of a single 12" speaker...so if you're looking for an amp that'll be more than just a practice/small jam amp, i'd personally suggest more wattage.

Thanks (:. What if i got the HT-5 head instead of the combo, could I just play through the head for lower levels? I know I'll need a 'dummy load', where can I get one of those?
Quote by jof1029
have people actually played the jet city amp? seems to be getting a lot of recomendations for an amp that hasnt been out that long. not to say it isnt a great amp, but it just seems to be getting over hyped. especially since i wouldnt recomend it for half the styles he listed...

Played it a few days ago at GC. Sounded very nice to my ears, especially for $300. I liked it more than the HT 5, but then again the JCA is more my style.

Last edited by EMGPWNS at Dec 29, 2009,
The Jet City is good. I played it a while at GC the last time I was there. Real loud, sounds real good. They charge you an arm and a leg for the 2X12 though. You could definitely get a used 4X12 way cheaper. The Blackstar's got a headphone and emulated line out though. Don't know how important that is to you if at all.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by AcousticMirror
The Jet City is good. I played it a while at GC the last time I was there. Real loud, sounds real good. They charge you an arm and a leg for the 2X12 though. You could definitely get a used 4X12 way cheaper. The Blackstar's got a headphone and emulated line out though. Don't know how important that is to you if at all.

no you need a speaker. Head's don't have any speakers in them. A dummy load is usually part of an attenuator set-up. They are pretty expensive 200+ for a good one. Get a combo if you don't want to deal with a stack. Get the blackstar combo if you don't want to deal with a stack and want headphones for night-time/bedroom playing. Do not plug headphones into anything not explicitly labeled headphone output.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by EMGPWNS
Played it a few days ago at GC. Sounded very nice to my ears, especially for $300. I liked it more than the HT 5, but then again the JCA is more my style.

Well i was just curious cause i see them getting recomended a lot. I mean i actually have one, but i see it getting thrown out in so many threads and im sure most people havent tried them yet. i mean i think its a great amp, but it seems like its being uber-bandwagoned before most people have tried it.
Quote by jof1029
Well i was just curious cause i see them getting recomended a lot. I mean i actually have one, but i see it getting thrown out in so many threads and im sure most people havent tried them yet. i mean i think its a great amp, but it seems like its being uber-bandwagoned before most people have tried it.

Yeah, lots of things get overhyped on UG. I think the JCA deserves its hype, though.