Well, I'm pretty much stumped here. What do you do when you get licks like this John Petrucci one:

There's no re-strums, but the legato ranges from the seventh fret to the seventeenth before re-strums come in while switching strings. How do you play this? I'm positive there's not a person out there who can reach from eighth to fifteenth with ANY amount of stretching. I really would like to know this because tons of legato runs are like this from Slash etc.
Last edited by Eag1e at Dec 28, 2009,
I would probably just tap the 15 and 17th frets. Knowing Petrucci though, he probably just grows 2 extra fingers, just to show that he can. And actually stretching from the 8th to the 15th isn't bad at all. I can almost do 6th to 15th. I'm just on the 14th fret bar.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Slides would be your best option here. For example in the first bar, slide your pinky on the 10th fret up to the 12th fret.
New To Town With A Made Up Name

In The Angel's City

Chasing Fortune And Fame
09/03/2012
Quote by Alter-Bridge
Slides would be your best option here. For example in the first bar, slide your pinky on the 10th fret up to the 12th fret.

But then what do you do for the 15? Do you just slide both with a pause inbetween?
I will show you some position shifts. In my pants bitch. You suck at guitar. I just started playing today and I can play that. Wow. Your a FAIL!
Move the lower notes to the b-string would make it easier, then use economy picking to move strings.
Quote by sasquatch.drums
I will show you some position shifts. In my pants bitch. You suck at guitar. I just started playing today and I can play that. Wow. Your a FAIL!

*reported* for abuse. Get off the forums.

Anyways to see it with slides I'd say do it like this.

e|-8-7-8-10/12-10-8-10-12/15-12-15\12-10-8-10/12-17-12-17\12-10-8-10-12/15-12-15\12-10-8-10-
B|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
G|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
D|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
E|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
If the lick was to be played quite fast I would do this,

If it was slow, I might do some slidey stuff depending on the sound needed.

Also, an 8th to 15th fret stretch isn't really that bad.