Guys,

Im looking to buy myself an Epiphone les paul within the next few weeks.Ive been shopping around and reading up but wanted to ask everyone their opinions on which is the best Epiphone Les Paul around-Standard? Custom? etc

Your opinions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Lee
I've had a standard and a standard-plus top and loved both.
Gibson Les Paul BFG Gator
Line6 James Tyler Variax JTV-69
Line6 Pod HD500
Blackheart Handsome Devil
Everything which is a Standard or more only has comestic differences: more binding and stuff on the Custom etcs.
The Epiphone Les Paul Slash signature. It's as close as it gets to a Gibson
Quote by sadSTATUE
Uhmmm... Well, apparently I was mentioned in a thread called "Japan and Lesbians."

Quote by Unknown_Biskit
Try typing "potatoes" with your dick then submit it.

My cover of Manchester Orchestra's "I Can Feel Your Pain"
http://www.mediafire.com/?jfvt54j4mkiiq99
Cheers guys.Just had a look on Ebay UK and by the looks of it there are more fakes there than anything.Can anyone give me a decent reliable seller either on Ebay or an outside shop which has cheap genuine Ephipones.Some of the prices on Slleze bay seem to good to be true.

Lee
Either an Elitist Les Paul or the Epiphones intended for the Japanese market. The latter ones have a lacquer finish and are truly the closest Epiphones to a Gibson.
Did you know the odds of a Vault-Tec shelter failing are 1,763,497 to 1?

So imagine life in a Vault-Tec Vault. Not just a future.
A brighter future... underground.

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.
Epis are being discounted in UK to bring them more in line with US prices. Or to keep them selling through the recession. Or to take on the competition from Vintage and Ellis.

Dolphin in Liverpool if you can go in person or GAK. With Epis its pretty essential to play the one you buy and not rely on online assurances.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Last edited by Lurcher at Dec 28, 2009,
Quote by gatechballer
The Epiphone Les Paul Slash signature. It's as close as it gets to a Gibson
This is so wrong it's bringing tears to my eyes.

The ''best'' Epiphones are the Elitist series - but they're not made any more. Every once in a blue moon they come up second hand, but that's very rare as they're very nice guitars and few people will ever want to sell theirs.
The next best, of the production guitars, would arguably be the older Korean-made Joe Perry, 1956 and Ultra models. Again, all of these are very hard to get hold of now.
Of the new Chinese-made guitars that you can get easily on the shelves of any store (as Lurcher said, playing before you buy is very important with Epi; don't buy one online), there is no best in terms of quality. Everything from the Standard onwards are all the same in terms of quality; a few have extra features that make them cost more like the Ultra-II's NanoMag pickup that provides acoustic-ish tones, but there is no increase in the actual quality of the guitar. If you want a straight-forward Les Paul and don't mind about the finish, the bets Epi is the Epi Lp Standard with a solid black finish - it will sound and play the same as the others, but cost a lot less. All the others you're either paying more for a different finish or you're paying more for a specific fetaure that you may or may not use (e.g. the Ultra-II's NanoMag).
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Love my Goth Les Paul Studio, but I got nailbombs in it
"Steven Seagal is like godzilla for barbies" -> Retard
Quote by MrFlibble
This is so wrong it's bringing tears to my eyes.

The ''best'' Epiphones are the Elitist series - but they're not made any more. Every once in a blue moon they come up second hand, but that's very rare as they're very nice guitars and few people will ever want to sell theirs.
The next best, of the production guitars, would arguably be the older Korean-made Joe Perry, 1956 and Ultra models. Again, all of these are very hard to get hold of now.
Of the new Chinese-made guitars that you can get easily on the shelves of any store (as Lurcher said, playing before you buy is very important with Epi; don't buy one online), there is no best in terms of quality. Everything from the Standard onwards are all the same in terms of quality; a few have extra features that make them cost more like the Ultra-II's NanoMag pickup that provides acoustic-ish tones, but there is no increase in the actual quality of the guitar. If you want a straight-forward Les Paul and don't mind about the finish, the bets Epi is the Epi Lp Standard with a solid black finish - it will sound and play the same as the others, but cost a lot less. All the others you're either paying more for a different finish or you're paying more for a specific fetaure that you may or may not use (e.g. the Ultra-II's NanoMag).

Do you think about what you post before you post it? If he could afford these he would probably buy a Gibson, as they tend to be a bit more expensive. The rest of your advice is pretty solid though. Stick with the Standards for price or if something else catches your eye because of a feature or appearance, go for it. i would stay away from two things specifically though: 1) The Black Beauty. The three pickup thing is a gimmick and honestly seems to limit your tonal possibilities more than expand them, plus the look of it makes me sick to my stomache. and 2) Gold Hardware. It may look good when you buy it, but it wears off and corrodes terribly and ends up looking like shit. It doesn;t even look vintage or relic when it wears off. It just looks like total shit. Other than that, all of the models above Standard are of Equal quality. Check for pickup type, finish type, what the top is made of, etc.
Not claiming it to be the best because I don't have all of the models to make that claim, but I have the Epiphone Les Paul Ultra. Its chambered so its a bit lighter than most LP's, and its the LP that convinced me to buy an LP. I never thought I would own one, till I played my Ultra, I fell instantly in love. So, just throwing it in there for you to consider. I do not have the Ultra II with the nanomag, just the Ultra.
Gear:
Ibanez Prestige 1421F
Epi Les Paul Ultra (With SD JB/Jazz pups)
Bugera 120w 333xl 212 combo
Peavey ValveKing 50w 112 combo (Eminence Texas Heat 12" speaker)
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
MXR M108 10 band EQ.
Dunlop Slash Crybaby Wah.
Bah. It's not a Les Paul unless it feels like a cinder block around your neck.
Gibson Les Paul BFG Gator
Line6 James Tyler Variax JTV-69
Line6 Pod HD500
Blackheart Handsome Devil