Hey guys!
Picked up a Peavey Vypyr 75 watter.....great amp.......far far far FAR too loud :P
Lowest setting was too loud for bedroom playing.
I had the excited little kid train of thought where i would get the biggest amp they had :P

So anyway , i am able to refund it and get a smaller one tomorrow luckily :P

Basically its between Vox VT-30 , Peavey Vypyr 30 and Line 6 Spider 30 watt.
I play mainly lamb of god , metallica etc.
Any advise ?

Also , is it normal to actually prefer the more digital sound the Line 6 gives out. My guitar friend has been teaching for 11 years now and is a great guitarist but he prefers the more tight , digital sound when it comes to metal.
Cheers!

Regards , Zoof.
I do not like the Line 6 sound in the least. I've never been able to feel the same punch when playing one of those.

Doesn't the Vypyr 75 have a power sponge attenuator that you can use to decrease the volume to playable levels?

I would stay away from the Spider... I know some people like it, but you asked for my opinion, and I think it's got pretty terrible tone. I can't feel the punch like I can with other amps.

The Vox is a great amp. I debated getting it myself, so played around with it at the guitar shop several times. Very nice sound, but Vox is more of a rock brand, and like you I preferred something that could go all the way metal. So I weighed it against a Marshall MG-30, which isn't actually as bad as people say, and a Vypyr.

So my current #1 amp is the Peavey Vypyr 30, and I love it. Turn it up to five and you're shaken to the very core of your body with pure slabs of awesome tone. The analog distortion just plain rocks. Not digital at all. Very versatile; I go from playing a little twangy country to Nightwish without any trouble. You're probably familiar with the interface already, so that's a plus. I'd go for the Vypyr.
The Peavey Vypyr 75 is a solid state amp with power sponge technology, you should not need to anything of less wattage to hit the same tones at low volumes. The 30 watt version will sound pretty much the same as the 75, you just won't have the excess power.

The Vypyr is more ideal for Lamb Of God than the Vox VT.

The Line 6 Spider series, along with the Marshall MG series, are both amps to probably avoid. It's a general rule-of-thumb.
Tubeking? You mean valveking or the pedal tubeking? I'd say grab a 30 watt vypyr.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
My friend has the Vox, it's really good for low gain type stuff, as far as I know, but I've never seen him do anything but Blues, so I wouldn't really know how good it is for metal. One time however, I played with it and turned up the gain, it sounded really grainy and fuzzy. Not my slice of cake. I personally detest the Vypyr, but that's only my twisted opinion. I'm not a fan of Spiders either. And the MGs, while they probably have the worst rep out of every amp here, aren't too bad, but they definitely aren't good. My brother has the Microcube though, and he seems to like it. I have no experience with it though, so I can't really vouch for it.
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
Last edited by CL/\SH at Dec 28, 2009,
The power sponge does help a bit , but not enough.
Its an obscenely loud amp :O

Oh dear thats not good , so the 30 watt won't be able to go quieter than the 75 watt version of the vypyr or am i reading that wrong :O?

Cheers
Quote by Zoofie
The power sponge does help a bit , but not enough.
Its an obscenely loud amp :O

Oh dear thats not good , so the 30 watt won't be able to go quieter than the 75 watt version of the vypyr or am i reading that wrong :O?

Cheers
Just out of curiosity - and I don't mean any offence by this - but have you actually the volume down the amp all the way and then gradually raised it until you have the desired levels?

The 30 watt version will be quieter, certainly, but that's not the issue according to me. The issue is; how can you not get the right tone with your current amp? It's designed for both bedroom practise and jamming with a band.
No no the tone is great.
Its just its wayyy to loud , with the clean settings its fine..........flip it to any form of distortion and it is just too loud.
I have it on 1 out of 13 and its too loud. Apprently Vypyrs are very loud amps anyway which i didn't know about.

So yeah , the tone etc is amazing , its the sheer volume.
Sponge is maximum and volume is 1 out 13 and its too loud
I dont recommend anything Line 6. Seriously. I had one for about a year and it suddenly went out on me. Haven't dropped it or anything so I don't recommend it. I do recommend the vypyr though
Cool cheers!
Yeah Vypyrs are amazing , and the 30 watt seems perfect. BUT i am now really paranoid that it will be too loud for bedroom practising :O
Anybody own one and can tell me?
Thanks!
The 30 watt Vypyr is just as loud as the 75 at low volumes—as soon as it starts to kick in some tone it’s screaming.

Valvetronix amps are much, much quieter than the Vypyrs. Unlike the Vypyr the attenuator on the Vox amps actually works! The downside is that the Vox high-gain models don’t do with low tunings—I had trouble with it when I went below D. But the clean channels take a pedal just fine, so if you aren’t going below D or use a distortion pedal the VT amps are great.
Yeah i have a Marshall Jackhammer and Proco Rat for distortion if the amps isn't up to scratch.
Can anybody at all vouch for the Line 6 Spider 3 when using a seperate distortion pedal with it?
Thanks!
on vypyrs there is a post gain, and a master volume, turn down the post gain, turn down the master, you really shouldn't be having the problem you're having with a vypyr, but if you feel hat's the problem, i'd still go with another vypyr
EDIT: Even so, they have heaphone jacks if you feel they're too loud for your bedroom
Last edited by UntoExistence at Dec 28, 2009,
Quote by Zoofie
Yeah i have a Marshall Jackhammer and Proco Rat for distortion if the amps isn't up to scratch.
Can anybody at all vouch for the Line 6 Spider 3 when using a seperate distortion pedal with it?
Thanks!

It sounds disappointing and fizzy. A point i made a talent show once about somebody else's gear. He laughed at my 15w Tube amp until he heard it.

I've played the 75w Vypr at bedroom volume levels in a shop. i just had the volume wound back. Do you need super quiet practice volumes?
'05 Fender Speed Shop So-Cal Stratocaster
'95 Squier Standard Strat

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Orange Dark Terror + PPC212
Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
Yeah man just went to double check , fiddled around even more. Still can't get it to a comfortable volume.
A very noobie and stupid sounding question coming up , but a 30 watt will be quieter than a 75 watt?

Cheers!
Quote by Madsalty
It sounds disappointing and fizzy. A point i made a talent show once about somebody else's gear. He laughed at my 15w Tube amp until he heard it.

I've played the 75w Vypr at bedroom volume levels in a shop. i just had the volume wound back. Do you need super quiet practice volumes?

Not super quiet , but i would like it quieter than it goes to be honest.
What's the problem with keeping your volume on 1?

I don't get it.

It's a SOLID STATE amp, it won't sound better if you crank it up.
And a 15 or 30W amp won't be much quieter, you won't have their volume up more than about 2 or 3.

Also there's a "post gain" knob on the Vypyr, which just affects volume, not the gain, so you can turn it down and turn the master volume up if you want.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by TRiggER2117
I dont recommend anything Line 6. Seriously. I had one for about a year and it suddenly went out on me.

Line 6 makes the best modelling amps in the business IMO. If you swear off of them just because you owned a Spider then you are gonna miss out on some amazing amps.

TS, I think your best bet is to get a 30w Vypyr or a 30w Spider.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
Quote by Zoofie
Yeah man just went to double check , fiddled around even more. Still can't get it to a comfortable volume.
A very noobie and stupid sounding question coming up , but a 30 watt will be quieter than a 75 watt?

Cheers!

Have you made sure you've got unity between your pedals and the amp. You need to set the level on the pedal so it matches the clean level of your amp. That way when it kicks in you get no volume increase. Use the level to control volume at the desired gain setting.

Also the 30 isn't going to be any quieter, when it's quiet. The only difference will be the master volume, especially clean headroom. Also due to the logarithmic increase in watts and sound there won't be too much difference between the 30 and the 75 in all reality although the sound will carry far better with the 75.

Hope i've answered some questions.
'05 Fender Speed Shop So-Cal Stratocaster
'95 Squier Standard Strat

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Orange Dark Terror + PPC212
Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
Quote by JayT44

Line 6 makes the best modelling amps in the business IMO. If you swear off of them just because you owned a Spider then you are gonna miss out on some amazing amps.

i think it's safe to say he's not looking at a vetta or a HD147 which are the better line 6 modeling amps
To answer a question you voiced a little ways back, Zoofie: I own a Vypyr 30, and yes, it is perfectly quiet enough for bedroom practice. I use it all the time and nobody's complained so far. I usually set it just a little ways below the 1--about 0.7, I'd say--and that's about normal CD player volume.

Here's another thought: Set the Post Gain knob a little lower. That's basically a fine-tuning volume control. Set from 1/4 to 1/2 it cuts the volume nicely without sucking any tone. Plus it makes the master volume less fiddly; it goes up in less drastic increments when the post gain is set lower.
Wattage does NOT equal Volume. Wattage is power, or headroom.

A 75 Watt amp will be twice as loud as a 7.5 Watt amp. A 50 Watt amp will be twice as loud as a 5 Watt Amp. See the pattern? Multiply the power by 10, double the volume.

Going from 75W to 30W will not solve much of your problem IMO. Use headphones?
Ibanez RGT42DX
Vox AC30C2
Digitech Whammy (FOR SALE!)
Dunlop GCB-95F Crybaby
Boss DD-20
Boss SD-1
Ibanez TS9DX
MXR M-108 10 Band EQ
Wow i've learnt alot about amps just from this thread.
Not kissing as$ here , but you guys seriously know your stuff! Great to know there is so much help.

So yeah back to the topic , cheers for the reccomendation about the Peavey 30 and Soul Power about the wattage lesson , didn't know that! :O

So are different brands known for being louder , quieter etc. For example Peavey known for being loud?
Wow you cant get a 75w SS to bedroom practice levels?
I have an 85w Fender Twin Reverb and its a tube amp and I can still have it just barely at 1 and its just right for bedroom practice.
My gear so far:

-Cort KX5 (pearl white)
-Crybaby Wah
-Danelectro Cool Cat
-Fender Twin Reverb 65' Reissue
-Hardwire TL2
Quote by Rockerdude22
Wow you cant get a 75w SS to bedroom practice levels?
I have an 85w Fender Twin Reverb and its a tube amp and I can still have it just barely at 1 and its just right for bedroom practice.

+1 i have a 6505+ hooked up to a 4x12 and can practice easily with the volume all the way down in an apartment building no less
So with solid state you don't loose anything tone wise with the volume low?
Quote by Zoofie
So with solid state you don't loose anything tone wise with the volume low?

Not really. It's pretty negligible if you do. The only reason I can think of if you lose any at all is because the volume is so low the speaker distorts it because its so quiet.
Ibanez RGT42DX
Vox AC30C2
Dunlop GCB-95F Crybaby
Boss DD-20
Boss SD-1
Ibanez TS9DX
MXR M-108 10 Band EQ
Quote by soul.power
Not really. It's pretty negligible if you do. The only reason I can think of if you lose any at all is because the volume is so low the speaker distorts it because its so quiet.
+1

In fact, some solid state amps have been known to become harsh at high volumes. I remember when I had my Line 6 Vetta II, I never liked maxing the volume - it sounded really brittle; lacked the warmth and response you need from playing an amp at super high volumes.
I'm not trying to jump on any bandwagons, but I really don't like the line 6 spiders. Apparently the spider 4 is supposed to sound better, I've only heard the 3. I was doing a show with someone at school, he was using a 75w spider 3. I have to admit, at low volumes, it sounds okay to good. But when he turned up the volume a little, I realized that it's pretty toneless and hollow. the more he turned up the volume, the more it's apparent. IMO.

I used a Marshall mg30 up at my local store when trying guitars, and it didn't sound too great... the EMG equipped guitars sounded really good through it, though. Every other guitar that I used through it that didn't have EMGs sounded kinda brittle and muddy... Not horrible, but not really good...

I use a Roland micro cube, and I like it, you could look into a 30w cube.

Or, lastly, I've never heard a Peavey Vyper in real life, but the youtube demos seem to sound pretty good. If you like the tone of the Vyper, then you should stick to that.

Quote by Way Cool JR.
If i where you i would keep the amp you got and buy a volume pedel for you can turn it down lower with the pedal. let me tell ya when you really get in to playing and have some friends to jam with especially a drummer. of course not in your bedroom you will be begging for more power when you cant hear your self over everyone else. i know i got to small an amp and it will be a while before i can get a bigger one. and i never turn mine over 1 in my bedroom. but i can turn it up at my friends house when there is a jam session. but mostly i have to sit back and wait to take turns. that sucks ass.

What would that do? For that matter he could just turn down the master volume.
Ibanez RGT42DX
Vox AC30C2
Dunlop GCB-95F Crybaby
Boss DD-20
Boss SD-1
Ibanez TS9DX
MXR M-108 10 Band EQ
I can keep my 3120 at bedroom volumes so I'm pretty sure a 75W Vypyr can do it also.
Peavey 3120
Mesa 2x12 Rectifier Cabinet
Jackson RR5
Jackson DKMG
LTD EC-1000
TC Electronic Polytune
BOSS RV-5
BOSS DD-7
MXR 10-band EQ
EHX Small Clone
Dunlop 535Q Crybaby
BOSS NS-2
Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2+
TS....

Like the other people have mentioned. A SS amp does not sound better the louder you turn it. In fact, it starts to sound worse the higher your crank your master volume.

I also have a MkV running into two 112s... and I can get it down to practice levels. It is a tube amp that's approximately 3 - 4 time louder than your amp at a comparable MV. If all of us can do it with higher wattage tube amps (which are louder than SS amps, watt for watt), you can definitely get it with a Vypyr.

Tweak your channel and master volumes. Also adjust the volumes for each of the patches. A common problem of modeling amps is that the channel volume for different patches tend to be of drastically different volumes.

If your return policy still has time on it, play a little more with your amp. Moving from a 75W vypyr to a 30W Vypyr seems like an effort in futility since you'll want a louder amp once you start gigging.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Last edited by ragingkitty at Dec 28, 2009,
Zoofie:

I'm also having a hard time understanding your problem. You're saying your amp can't go to a lower volume? I owned a 120w tube amp and it (regardless of whether it sounded good) could easily run at whisper quiet volumes. My 60w Mesa takes a little precision knob tweaking, but it'll go to any volume I want also.

As someone else said, wattage is not equal to volume; only headroom.

If you can't get the thing to quiet volumes, I'd question whether or not there's something wrong with it. Can you check a floor model at a local music store? In my experience, a volume knob should, at its lowest point, turn the amp's volume off. Different amps respond with different levels of sensitivity, but even if it takes precision tweaking, you should be able to get the volume you want.

If you go to trade the amp in, tell one of the guys at your music store the problem you're having. Someone with experience who can work with the amp hands-on could tell you a whole lot more than a bunch of people who are, more-or-less, just guessing and speculating. If they can't get the amp to run at the volumes you want, I'm sure they'd be more than happy to help you find one that will.

Hope that helps. :]

Quote by JayT44

From what I've heard, the Axe-Fx is the best modeling (pre)amp in the business... So the rumor is anyway.

I owned an original POD Pro. I ran it through a tube power amp and everything, but I still didn't really like it. Worse than that, it gave me listening fatigue, which may have been partly due to the fact that it was also attached to a sonic maximizer. Regardless, I didn't like the tone (which is why I had the sonic maximizer in the first place). It always seemed to stop just short of sounding good, and sorely lacked dynamic.

Then again, some people don't even like dynamic response... Others can't tell the difference. And that's not to say that Line 6's sound bad. They just don't have the tone I want, and they don't "feel" good to me.

That said, I've heard some really great Youtube performances recorded with Line 6's direct that sounded awesome and very professional. They're a fun all-in-one solution that sounds decent live, and great recorded. I just don't think they're very capable of getting the "ultimate" tones that most guitarist's seek. In each device that Line 6 models, the real thing is still better.

_
Last edited by -Rane- at Dec 28, 2009,