Page 1 of 2
OK, I have my grandparents over at my house this Christmas, they have been here since about the 6th, and they hate rock music. They can't stand it. They won't even let me play guitar. Their favorite music is Frank Sinatra, Tom Jones, etc. Does anyone in the Pit have this problem? How do they react when you start playing a rock/metal song?
Call me Andrew. It's my name.

Quote by theogonia777
i fond God too, man! i sat next to him on the bus once. he told be the meaning of life and then gave me a pretzel. i can't remember what the meaning of live was, but it was a good pretzel, man!
Nah, most of them were in Fleetwood Mac.
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.
f*ck relatives.

play it loud and proud, man.

i did have a similar problem, until i told them id sooner jump off the houses of parliament, than stop playing.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

nah, my family is pretty cool, my grandma listened to the first part of divinations by mastodon with me
❒ Taken ❒ Single ✔ Would like a sandwich

Vereor Deus

Quote by dann_blood
Branding!?!? THAT'S TOO PROGRESSIVE! I say bring back settlement payments in weights of lead and impalement upon wooden stakes!

Quote by Doctor Matthews
Oh! Sorry, I thought that was a braille name tag.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
Just play them the christmas number 1 as comeback.

Take that Mr. Cowell
I'll pretend I can mod your amp but break it instead.
Quote by GoIrish668
OK, I have my grandparents over at my house this Christmas, they have been here since about the 6th, and they hate rock music. They can't stand it. They won't even let me play guitar. Their favorite music is Frank Sinatra, Tom Jones, etc. Does anyone in the Pit have this problem? How do they react when you start playing a rock/metal song?

...headphones. Use them.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Rock music isn't my family's preference to music but they're pretty open minded. They don't mind if me or my brother play our music out loud. One time, I was playing Mechanix by Megadeth and my mom and sister were watching me. They seem to enjoy it.
If Rock is a life-style, then Metal's an addiction

Yelloooow!

Of The

UG Challenge

Quote by oneblackened
...headphones. Use them.

not all amp have headphone jacks, my blackheart doesnt

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

why not play a heavy metal verison of fly me to the moon?

████████████████████

███████████████████████
███████████████████████

█████████████████████

███████████████████████

█████████████████████

█████████████████████

███████████████████

█████████████████████

████████████████████
My grandma hates heavy metal and rock, but she stands it. If I play it, she'll just say she thinks it sounds bad, but other than that she's pretty badass so it's all good.
"If an injury need to be done to a man, it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared."
- Niccolo Machiavelli
My Grandma always seems to do a strange dance when I play something heavy. My Grandad is into Jazz and Blues my other Grandma I have no clue but the one that likes to dance once sat and listened to some Trivium song. I can't remember the name of it, I think it was the one that is something about pulling strings on a Martyr
Quote by speedy1330
why not play a heavy metal verison of fly me to the moon?

You may have given me an idea.
Don't stop playing because of them. Tell them to get the hell out of your house.
Quote by sadSTATUE
Uhmmm... Well, apparently I was mentioned in a thread called "Japan and Lesbians."

Quote by Unknown_Biskit
Try typing "potatoes" with your dick then submit it.

My cover of Manchester Orchestra's "I Can Feel Your Pain"
http://www.mediafire.com/?jfvt54j4mkiiq99
Quote by Silver-spear94
f*ck relatives.

play it loud and proud, man.

i did have a similar problem, until i told them id sooner jump off the houses of parliament, than stop playing.

amen!!

music is something that defines you.. why the hell should anyone be able to tell you what you can and cant have as a part of you? you dont like the sinatra and the tom jones just like they dont like your music.. why should you be the one who has to give it up, especially when music is probably more important to you then it is to them..
I live with my Grandparents, and I can get away with playing Rock/metal stuff, but I have to keep it all to a low volume, Its not too bad, but I do get moaned at on a fair few occasions.
they won't let you play??? ouch. controlling people like that just annoy me. its your guitar man. close the door and turn the volume up.

anyways, my family, with the exception of my dad are all pretty open to music. especially my brother, who introduced me to several of the bands i listen to today.
Last edited by Verse34k at Dec 28, 2009,
I know my grandparents first choice in music wouldn't be mine but they wouldn't ban me from playing guitar in my own house. My mother is pretty open about music and likes a lot of what I introduce her to.
my grandparents (whom I live with) are traditional southern gospel/bluegrass listeners (I'm in SW VA!) but they still tolerate my playing/listening of rock/metal/blues/etc. and enjoy listening to some of it themselves

also, this is obligatory: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWe1T5OdfrQ
Quote by CoreysMonster
you know why rabbits are smarter than cows?

fucking cows start moo-ing around for no reason, but rabbits keep their mouth shut until they actually have something to say.

god I hate cows.
Yeah, my uncle says I "shouldnt listen to satanic music like Bon Jovi".

I don't listen to Bon Jovi anyway.
Quote by imdeth
This man deserves my +1

+1

Quote by denizenz
Go in peace my son, and teach to the pit dwellers what I have shown unto you.

ಠ_ಠ

XBL: huffy409
They usually only get pissed when i start screaming to it or putting my amp over halfway.

...Never stopped me before..
Quote by BobDetroit
Directions:
Unplug keyboard.
Place it in your butt so you can't post anymore.

Quote by Fadetoblack5:03
You deserve some form of awesome reward, but I'm to lazy. Imagine the rest of these:

My family don't give a shit about me or what i'm into

They like a few rock stuff also
They made me do push ups in drag

I'm gonna have a really hard time if we're both cannibals and racists.

Don't dress as a whore, he'll thump you.

I'm a firework, primed to go off
The only person in my family that really hates /rock/ music is my aunt.
Other than that my family is pretty chill. =D
KatehMonster
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
Dude, if you were a lesbian asking out another lesbian in a man forum we would be going crazy too.
Quote by zerosystem
just because you're a girl and you get more pussy than me doesn't give you the right to brag.
my mom and dad complain when i listen to zeppelin in the car but they never told me to stop lsitening to it, they know how important music is to me. my dads largely indifferent to my guitar playing but my mom is really supportive of me writing songs, and she sometimes listens to my recordings in the car on her way to work.
i play in a thrash band so its kinda my job to play metal....but dont limit yourself to one genre...if your grandparents like jazz, surprise them by playing some jazz. they'll appreciate that you have an open mind about music so when you play metal, they will have an open mind about it
Quote by lifesuckstomuch
Quote by Mangohabs
...great post

Quote by Headphonehead
@ Cobracarg: 1 word:Genius!!!
Ok can we stop sucking this dudes dick and deal with my question?
My Dad loves classic rock, from Zeppelin, Neil Young, Guns etc and introduced me to a lot of them
My brother is into rap and metal mostly
My sisters completely Indie
And my other sis is into pop and XFactor
Don't know where she went wrong

I ended up a mixture of everything (expect pop :P)
My Granddad hates rock music with a vengeance. The only rock music he likes is Bruce Springsteen but he doesn't realise it's rock. He thinks U2 are noise. I'd hate to see what reaction he would give me if I even made him listen to a Nirvana record.
Quote by Grohlism
My Granddad hates rock music with a vengeance. The only rock music he likes is Bruce Springsteen but he doesn't realise it's rock. He thinks U2 are noise. I'd hate to see what reaction he would give me if I even made him listen to a Nirvana record.

Where does he live? I'll mail him the new Behemoth album.
Quote by imdeth
This man deserves my +1

+1

Quote by denizenz
Go in peace my son, and teach to the pit dwellers what I have shown unto you.

ಠ_ಠ

XBL: huffy409
My dad grew up on Zeppilin and hair metal, so hes cool with that. But he wouldn't listen to death/black metal if it were to save his life.
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
The grandmother is having a baby with her grandson, so the grandson will be his own fathers father, the baby will be his own grandfather, and grandson, and the grandmother will be the mother, and great grandmother?

Quote by TheBurningFish
ಠ_ಠ
So? Frank Sinatra kicks ass. And that Tom Jones...

Quote by Ian_the_fox
You're not girly enough of a boy for me, and you're not man enough to take the top. So like, sorry bitch but you ain't mine! Sorry.
Quote by Zeppelin Addict
amen!!

music is something that defines you.. why the hell should anyone be able to tell you what you can and cant have as a part of you? you dont like the sinatra and the tom jones just like they dont like your music.. why should you be the one who has to give it up, especially when music is probably more important to you then it is to them..

Because if I tell them to leave, they threaten to leave and I get in trouble with my parents.
Call me Andrew. It's my name.

Quote by theogonia777
i fond God too, man! i sat next to him on the bus once. he told be the meaning of life and then gave me a pretzel. i can't remember what the meaning of live was, but it was a good pretzel, man!
Just learn some songs they like, learning stuff you wouldn't normally play will broaden your musical horizons, hell you might even enjoy it
Page 1 of 2