I have a brand new Epiphone G-400 faded SG, and the damn thing will not stay in tune at all. It still has the original strings that came on it, which I am sure are the cheapest ones Epiphone have.(They are going to be the first thing replaced) This guitar is going to be a project guitar anyway, but I am new to any mods. Is installing tuners a big deal?? I can do full setups on guitars and I know I will have to replace the nut at some point. I just need some advice as to which tuners I should buy.
look for locking tuners such as groover rotomatics, they stay in tune longer than the stock groovers
Locking tuners are good like he ^ said.

Also, changing tuners is really easy. Its a nut and a screw or two for each tuner.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
Schaller makes great locking tuners.

For the most part changing tuners is pretty easy but you may have to do some minor routering of the tuner holes to put new ones in. No big deal, you just might need to get a cheap circular file if the new tuners are a bit wider than the existing holes.

Would be an opportune time to change the nut and strings too.
Jackson: DKMG w/Zakk Wylde EMGs
Fender: Fat Strat HSS
Epiphone: Les Paul Custom w/SD Pickups
Dean: Performer E Acoustic/Electric
Vox: DA5
Vox JamVox
Digitech: GNX4 Workstation
Digitech: EX-7 Distortion Factory
Boss DR-880
MAudio Bx5a Deluxe
Do I really need locking tuners with a tune-o-matic bridge?? Although I am thinking of installing a Bigsby at some point. I have heard that the post holes are only 6mm and Grover tuners have a post width of 10mm.
Honestly man most tuning problems occur at the bridge and the nut, lubericate the TOM with some chapstick or carmex and replace the nut with either a better cut nut or a graphite one and your tuning problems should disappear. However tuners do make a difference in tuning up, so if they are shoddy replace them with some good Grovers. Honestly locking tuners may be a bit overkill for a hardtail guitar but whatever floats your boat. BTW Grover Roto lockers are the easiest lockers to use
MIM Fender Telecaster
SX GG1 Junior (Les Paul Special clone)
Dillion Canada DXC 58 (DC Les Paul Junior)
Fender Joe Strummer Telecaster
Squier CV Duo Sonic
Epiphone Les Paul Junior Special
Squier Jazz Bass
Vox DA 15
Fender FM 212R
IMO it's not a matter of whether you need them or not. It's a matter of how long you want your strings to stay in tune. Locking tuners will hold tune for longer than non-locking.

One way to find out the hole size fer sure is to get a good set of calipers. Change your stings but take the extra ten minutes to undo one of your tuners and pull it out. Measure the hole with the calipers. Put the tuner back in. Put strings back on.

As someone earlier said, grab a new nut while you're at it. I found a Tusq XL nut for about USD 9 (before shipping costs, but that was reasonable as well) from guitarheads.net. As for locking tuners, if you aren't ready to make the monetary plunge for Grovers or Schallers etc, take a look at the Wilkinson EZ-Lock tuners. Guitarfetish has them; a couple of the members here in GBC have them and say they are awesome. I'm using them on my build.

EDIT: For ordering simplicity, Guitarheads also has the Wilkinson EZ-Locks.
build 1, finished 1/15/11

Every time I try to pick it up like falling sand,
As fast as I pick it up,
it runs away through my clutching hands.
There's nothing else I can really do...
Last edited by Copaman at Dec 28, 2009,
Quote by ceddy999
Do I really need locking tuners with a tune-o-matic bridge?? Although I am thinking of installing a Bigsby at some point. I have heard that the post holes are only 6mm and Grover tuners have a post width of 10mm.

well the g-400 comes with grovers as stock so there will be no problem, seeing as you want to install a bigsby locking tuners will be a good idea
I will probably go for the locking ones. As long as they are under $100. I am probably gonna wind up spending more than the guitar is worth in modifications anyway. How involved is the nut job???(huh huh huh you said nut job) Seriously, though is it something I should bring to a pro or can I do it myself(there is a place around the corner from me that does a replacement nut for about $70.)
Quote by ceddy999
I will probably go for the locking ones. As long as they are under $100. I am probably gonna wind up spending more than the guitar is worth in modifications anyway. How involved is the nut job???(huh huh huh you said nut job) Seriously, though is it something I should bring to a pro or can I do it myself(there is a place around the corner from me that does a replacement nut for about $70.)

you can do it yourself but it can be difficult