Ok so about 2 weeks ago I picked up a Blackstar ht-5 mini stack and I have to admit I feel that it's over glorified on this forum. It is nice but just doesn't have what I'm looking for. So suggestions I guess I need a small yet loud enough for small gigs. I play blues to hard rock. At this point I really like the sound and features of the Peavey Vypyr tube. price range is about 750 USD max.
Gear
Peavey Vypyr 15
Peavey Windsor head

Custom Ibanez RG
ESP EC-1000
Last edited by matt s at Dec 28, 2009,
You're not alone there pal. I hate the Vypyr. Have you looked at the Jet City Amps? I'm picking up the stack today, I'll let you know how it goes, considering we play the same stuff.
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
Yeah i wanna try the jet city bad. 20W seems perfect.
Gear
Peavey Vypyr 15
Peavey Windsor head

Custom Ibanez RG
ESP EC-1000
I was right all along

*laughs manically*

Seriously though what is it missing? what are you looking for?
Gear
Tokai Love Rock
Vox AC4
Danelectro Transparent Overdrive
T.C. Electronic Nova Repeater
Stomp Under Foot Violet Rams Head
Yeah, the Jet City would be right up your alley.

Other than that.. I don't know there isn't much... maybe the Vyper Tube like you said.
I have a huge fear if rays.
I've never heard of these Jet City amps, but suddenly everyone is recommending them. Another UG trend ?

Anyway, the Vypyr tube is a pretty damn good amp IMO. I tried one before I bought my Valveking. If it had an FX loop, I would've bought it over the VK any day.
Ibanez RGT42DX
Vox AC30C2
Digitech Whammy (FOR SALE!)
Dunlop GCB-95F Crybaby
Boss DD-20
Boss SD-1
Ibanez TS9DX
MXR M-108 10 Band EQ
Quote by matt s
Ok so about 2 weeks ago I picked up a Blackstar ht-5 mini stack and I have to admit I feel that it's over glorified on this forum. It is nice but just doesn't have what I'm looking for.

I have the exact same opinion. I bought one, without playing it first mind you, and it was a great sounding amp but VERY over-hyped and just didn't suit me very well.

I'd say look at Bugera V22, Jet City JCA20, or a Used Vox AC 30.

Quote by soul.power
I've never heard of these Jet City amps, but suddenly everyone is recommending them. Another UG trend ?

I was thinking the same thing, but they're actually amazing amps for an incredible price. I'd take one over an HT-5 any day of the week.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
Last edited by JayT44 at Dec 28, 2009,
Quote by soul.power

Anyway, the Vypyr tube is a pretty damn good amp IMO. I tried one before I bought my Valveking. If it had an FX loop, I would've bought it over the VK any day.

They're a fairly new brand of budget amps. They're designed by Soldano and they really sound amazing for the price. I would probably have bought one by now if the 100W 2 channel head would just come out already
Maybe a Bugera V22 or V55 or Peavey ValveKing 212.

Quote by dullsilver_mike
The resonant frequency of the clitoris is too low for the guitar players to take care of.

Quote by jackers1234
you sir, have just won for this statement. =D

Young Knees
I looked at the Jet City before I got my Blackstar. It’s nice, has GREAT gain, but puts out a lot more volume. I’m not sure how well it does cleans (not an easy thing to figure out in big-city Guitar Center!) and that big speaker puts out TONS of bass that would make it a great gig amp but not so great for my apartment.
Quote by matt s
Ok so about 2 weeks ago I picked up a Blackstar ht-5 mini stack and I have to admit I feel that it's over glorified on this forum. It is nice but just doesn't have what I'm looking for. So suggestions I guess I need a small yet loud enough for small gigs. I play blues to hard rock. At this point I really like the sound and features of the Peavey Vypyr tube. price range is about 750 USD max.

Finally
Quote by ChrisBW
They're designed by Soldano

Isn't Andy Marshall (THD) is one of the mad engineers behind JCA too?
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by ragingkitty
Isn't Andy Marshall (THD) is one of the mad engineers behind JCA too?

Yeah. He designed a 5 watt amp with half power switch called the Pico. They haven't released it yet, but hopefully it is as good as the JCA20H.
Quote by aporc
Yeah. He designed a 5 watt amp with half power switch called the Pico. They haven't released it yet, but hopefully it is as good as the JCA20H.

Oh so that's what that amp is. I hope it looks like a toaster. Thanks for the info I couldn't find it anywhere, but of course I failed to look at each amp on the site...
over glorified?
The amp is advertised as a 5watt studio/practice amp. It doesn't do anything else. It does what it says it does very well. I guess I don't understand the hate...If you were expecting more from the amp that's not it's fault.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
Quote by CL/\SH
You're not alone there pal. I hate the Vypyr. Have you looked at the Jet City Amps? I'm picking up the stack today, I'll let you know how it goes, considering we play the same stuff.

this
UG is slowly realising the HT5 isn't all its made out to be - bad time for Blackstar to be releasing the bigger models then...
jet city will become the new HT-5 on this forum, and probably the new alternative to the vypyrs.

it will be the one everyone recommends.

TTK recommends Jet city, so ill go with it.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

Quote by AcousticMirror
over glorified?
The amp is advertised as a 5watt studio/practice amp. It doesn't do anything else. It does what it says it does very well. I guess I don't understand the hate...If you were expecting more from the amp that's not it's fault.

So what you're saying is that people can't be dissapointed with the tone because it's a studio and practice amp?
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
Quote by AcousticMirror
over glorified?

He is talking about claims here on UG, not having critique on the amp itself.

TS: Look at Egnater, they're also great amps.
HT-5 isnt bad. I think the higher wattage amps are still gonna be worth taking a look at. I'm totally excited to check them out.

The jet city amps are pretty dope shit. I'd probably go try one of them out for yourself.
Very much so. great cleans. great od channel. overall great amp thats hardly mentioned.
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks