I've been using the Boss metal zone for over a year now, and I'm still not getting the sound I want. I looked around and found the digitech one, apparently it's gotten some good reviews. Would anyone recommend buying it? I need that heavy sound, but without the extra static from the Boss pedal.
get the line 6 uber metal distortion pedal. i usually hate line 6, but that pedal is amazing. it even has a noise gate lol
there are 3 channels:
metal - for 80's stuff
pulvurize - heavy, lead, distortion, etc.
insane - DEATH METAL
Go Ibanez!
Try the MD-2? It's got a good beefy sound compared to the Metalzone. I'm not particularly fond of Digitech, but you ought to try them all out at your local GC. I've heard good things about the Jekyll and Hyde pedal.
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
Well I'm in a death metal band, so I'm going for a Behemoth/Dimmu Borgir style sound.
I'd work on getting a new amp before a pedal, personally.

TS, what is the closest major city to you?
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
the amp actually gets pretty loud and stays clean, besides i'm rhythm so it doesn't need to be nearly as loud as the lead. Oh, and I need a job before i can get a decent half stack.

And Lancaster PA is the closest major city i guess.
Loud dosen't mean good at all. Pedal react differently with different amps. You can't just get a loud amp and run a pedal through it an expect great tones. If that was the case we'd all have mg250dfx and a mt-2.

I'd suggest sell your amp and buy a new one.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Quote by JoePerry4life
Loud dosen't mean good at all. Pedal react differently with different amps. You can't just get a loud amp and run a pedal through it an expect great tones. If that was the case we'd all have mg250dfx and a mt-2.

I'd suggest sell your amp and buy a new one.

Have you tried Raven amps yourself? They're not too bad. The on board distortion is pretty bad, but the clean channel is great, and with a decent pedal it's well worth keeping it.
I HAVE RETURNED
Twitter
Quote by metalkickTM
migueltherocker: The retarded unicorn-fish of the sea

Quote by ShredHead396

Dude, that was just pure win, i laughed the entire way

first stack ^
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
My friend though they were great, he ordered one from the states without trying it because it was cheap and loud. I wasn't impressed at all. Take the pedal to the store and try it out with different amps and you'll see what I mean.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
I own 3 HardWire pedals and I think they are incredible for the money. I've also played the TL-2 and it's one of the best distortion pedals in the price range.

Also check out the Modtone Extreme Metal, and if you want to spend a little more; the Dual Resistifier.
Quote by Jhachey22

Once again. no job and only $150 in my account. the Raven's fine for now.
Quote by SotF666
Once again. no job and only $150 in my account. the Raven's fine for now.

Obviously not if you started a thread about getting a better tone.
sell the raven and the Boss pedal, easily $150, and get the tech 21.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Quote by Jhachey22
Obviously not if you started a thread about getting a better tone.
sell the raven and the Boss pedal, easily $150, and get the tech 21.

Obviously the guy wanted to know what the distortion difference would be between the hardwire pedal versus the metalzone he already owns. It seemed like a pretty simple thread title to me and explanation in the first post. Sorry if I misunderstood him though. I mean correct me if I'm way off base here. I like the sound options better on the hardwire after playing it at the store but that my personal opinion and I plan to buy one soon.
Quote by Supermansdead81
Obviously the guy wanted to know what the distortion difference would be between the hardwire pedal versus the metalzone he already owns. It seemed like a pretty simple thread title to me and explanation in the first post. Sorry if I misunderstood him though. I mean correct me if I'm way off base here. I like the sound options better on the hardwire after playing it at the store but that my personal opinion and I plan to buy one soon.

but you have to ask yourself 'why is he getting a bad tone from the Boss?' (besides the whole 'can-o-bees' thing). its like trying to fix the engine on a ca by putting tape over the 'check engine' light.

you have to fix the problem at the source, not try band-aid solution after band-aid solution until you run out, which is exactly what's going to happen if TS doesnt invest in a decent amp.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
the digitech hardwire is better than the boss mt-2.

another good metal pedal is the EHX metal muff.
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
Gotta say, changing pedals won't help much mate. Save up and get something better. Just because it's a half stack doesn't mean it's good. Nor does it being loud as **** make it good. A Boss DS-1 can sound like ass on a crappy amp and then really good on a more high-end one. Listen to whoevers sayin it and sell, try to get something better. A tube of like 30 watts will suit you fine.
Jhachey22 knows what's up.

I have to agree. The Boss is actually fine if you have a decent amp (perhaps a tube amp) and a noise suppressor. Hell, I was running my Metal Zone into my Squier 10 watt amp and it sounded like balls. I plugged it into my Marshall Bluesbreaker without changing any settings, same set-up, same everything (except for the amp obviously) and I was surprised it was the same pedal. Haven't tried the hardwire, so I cannot tell you, but trust me, the Metal Zone isn't as bad as people make it out to be.

I'm sorry you don't have a money or a job. But try to find a job. That's all I can say as of now.

Keep in mind that our perception of 'good tone' is different from yours.

And the Golden Rule: If it sounds good, it's good. If it sounds like shit, it's shit.
My Gear:
Guitars:
Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 in Charcoal Burst

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Vintage '70s Thomas Organ Crybaby Wah
Boss DD-6
Unless you're playing it through a Frontman. Oh wait...
Seriously, Raven amps are horrible. The cleans are okay, the drive is absolutely horrid, and they don't take pedals as well as you'd want an amp to take pedals. Loud and clean =/= a good amp.

If you're fixed on getting a pedal check out a Barber Dirty Bomb or an MXR Fullbore Metal. However, a better amp is the best solution for improving your tone.
Last edited by i_am_metalhead at Dec 30, 2009,
Quote by holycow
the digitech hardwire is better than the boss mt-2.

another good metal pedal is the EHX metal muff.

See, straight to the point. Thank you good sir :-)
Answering the topic....I think the Hardwire sounds better than the Boss. Oddly enough, my GC had their hardwire display running through a Raven combo (yeah, really....I expect maybe they'll be looking for a new manager soon LOL). While it wasn't the cats @$$, it didn't sound horrible. I've had the Boss, and ran it through several amps...I didn't like it at all. Personal choice.
Ibanez RGR421EXFM, Michael Kelley Vex NV, Ovation Celebrity. Carvin V3
Peavey 412M w/Eminence Wizards & Swamp Thangs, Rocktron Hush Super C, Furman PL-8C,15 band EQ, Boosta grande, ISP Decimator, Dano EQ, Ibanez TBX 150,TC Elec Polytune
Quote by SotF666
See, straight to the point. Thank you good sir :-)

Forgive us for trying to prevent you from carelessly tossing your money away on something that will only be a slight improvement. However its your money so waste it as you see fit.

See my previous post for my recommendations.
Quote by Jhachey22
but you have to ask yourself 'why is he getting a bad tone from the Boss?' (besides the whole 'can-o-bees' thing). its like trying to fix the engine on a ca by putting tape over the 'check engine' light.

you have to fix the problem at the source, not try band-aid solution after band-aid solution until you run out, which is exactly what's going to happen if TS doesnt invest in a decent amp.

Believe me I know what you are saying. I have no experience with those amps so I'm not claiming to know that. I have first hand experience knowing that you can't polish a tird. That is impossible but the thread was asking what pedal other users thought produced a better distortion effect. That was all I was trying to say. I think the hardwire sounds better than the metalzone and that's just my opinion. He may like his amp and I can't diss him for that. I know everyone here likes different amps. I want to hear what he thinks after testing that new pedal though. His result is what matters here and I hope it's good otherwise he'll be wishing he'd just saved for a new amp lol.
follow my style dude... i boast up my boss MT-2 using TS808... set my DIST to 7-8 o'clock... the rest, my TS808 do the rest great distortion or whatever kind metal u wanna be... grab TS9 or TS808... some say Fulltone OCD can do it too... the reason why i buy metal zone, coz it got frequency EQ MID, LOW, HIGH control... not really use the DIST knob... another reason why i buy metal zone? coz i got no guitar amplifier such PEAVEY, MARSHALL, ENGL, BLACKSTAR... so im doing a lot of research due of my lack amplifier... another option u can go are Hardwire Metal-Distortion... dont go Fullbore MXR... metal muff with top boast just okay... but TS808/TS9/Fulltone OCD you grab it together with your metal pedal!!!