My bandmates have a song that was written before I came along. Im trying to work out a solo over what is basically the verse riff.

The thing is, its an Iron Maiden-ish thrashy riff, in standard. All the chords used fit into D Minor, but its in standard, so we pedal the low E as well. Im trying to work out a solo and I just put it in drop D so it would all be D and it sounds a little better.

I dont have a lot of theory knowledge as you can probably see, but would dropping the E string to D have any significant effect on it or am I just stupid? Be honest. lol
Well if you tune the string down a whole step, you will have to play 2 frets higher on that string to still be playing the same notes. If you fret everything the same, the flat 3rd and flat 6th will be out of key.

I hope this helps, or is what you were asking?
My Gear:
Paul Reed Smith SE Paul Allender
Laney GH100L Head
Behringer Cab
Damage Control Demonizer Distortion/Preamp
But why would you be using the low E string much for solos anyway? :P
My Gear:
Laney GH100L Head
Behringer Cab
No no sorry. I guess I shouldve brought that up. Dont worry chords. Theyre all rooted on the A string so nothing would change. Were just doing fast alternate picking on the low E, open.

And Im not using the low E for solos. Im just saying, if the rhythm is pedalling a D rather than an E, then a solo out of D minor seems to sound better.
If the song's in D minor then pedaling a low D seems more logical.
Thats what Im thinking. Im just making sure my train of thought isnt just due to my lack of knowledge in theory. lol
Haha yes.... sorry I didn't understand you better. A D would be WAY better. .
My Gear:
Laney GH100L Head
Behringer Cab
Alright cool. I was just checking before I brought it up to the band.