Okay, so here is my dilemma. I have a Schecter Damien FR (stock EMG hzs, ew), and i run it through my POD x3 Live, which i play through a flat PA speaker. I know, yall are probably thinking (ew! digital!) but I dont have the money to buy a mesa or a bugera or something like that. I run my rig through a Behringer K3000 FX Keyboard Amp/PA system.

http://keyboards-midi.musiciansfriend.com/product/Behringer-K3000FX-300-Watt-4-Channel-PA-System-and-Keyboard-Amp?sku=480783

anyways, heres my problem. my guitar tone all of a sudden went to hell. it's all muffled and dead. heavy metal distortion is a dull bluesy crunch. the only way i can continue to play is by activating the distortion on the X3 amp, and by putting another distortion on the stompbox. then, i have to crank a noise gate to make the feedback somewhat tame. needless to say, i can't go on like this. my sustain is gone.

so ive decided to get some new pickups, and see if that changes something. im not interested in actives, because i dont feel like routing a place for the battery. anyways, i dont know which pups to get. my playing style is based around rhythm playing, that also does some lead stuff. (think zacky vengeance from A7X). i want pickups that have a raw power to them, that is also controlled when i go into leads.

so i did some research, and i checked out the Seymour Duncan Invaders. i think im in love, but i'm not sure.

advice?
Go with an Invader in the Bridge but I would look at maybe a '59 or jazz model for the neck.
change the emg batteries?

edit: my bad, didnt see they were the passive type
My meh gear:
ESP LTD MH-400NT
Peavey Raptor Plus EXP
Digitech RP90
Digitech Bad Monkey
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi (WTS)
Crate GT15 (SHIT)

GAS:
Peavey 6505 112 combo
MXR 10-band EQ
Ibanez TS-9
Boss HR-2
Compressor (open to suggestions)
I've got an invader in the bridge, and a '59 in the neck. Yeah it's pretty awesome imo.
I'm not sure if there's other better one in it's price range though
They made me do push ups in drag

I'm gonna have a really hard time if we're both cannibals and racists.

Don't dress as a whore, he'll thump you.

I'm a firework, primed to go off
they kick some serious a*s
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
I've got those in bridge position in my Schecter Omen 6 Extreme. It sounds amazing when handling distortion. Only downside is that it has a harsh clean. But I always use my Seymour Duncan Jazz for cleans in neck position. Here's some pictures:

(Invalid img)

I'm telling you, it's a great combo both sound-wise as considering aesthetics.

My Youtube Page

I wrote this story so many days ago
and the words kept falling onto pages.
Without the loss we can't go on
and with the loss we became strong.

Quote by ItWillDo
I've got those in bridge position in my Schecter Omen 6 Extreme. It sounds amazing when handling distortion. Only downside is that it has a harsh clean. But I always use my Seymour Duncan Jazz for cleans in neck position. Here's some pictures:

(Invalid img)

I'm telling you, it's a great combo both sound-wise as considering aesthetics.

thanks! is there another pickup that i could put in the neck position better then a 59 in another brand? just curious, im checking out all options. oh, and my price range is about 175 bucks if that helps. i could go a little higher if needed.

where did you find the white invader??? that's sick! oh, and is there a way for me to aestheticaly alter the pups? like put a cover on them and paint the cover? i like to mess with my guitar like that, so i was just curios. would that alter the sound?
Quote by burningopera
thanks! is there another pickup that i could put in the neck position better then a 59 in another brand? just curious, im checking out all options. oh, and my price range is about 175 bucks if that helps. i could go a little higher if needed.

where did you find the white invader??? that's sick! oh, and is there a way for me to aestheticaly alter the pups? like put a cover on them and paint the cover? i like to mess with my guitar like that, so i was just curios. would that alter the sound?

Considering pick-ups work with waves, that shouldn't alter your sound notably, so no. It's just as you have 59 models with a cover and without. The ones with a cover are usually more expensive.

And practically every guitar store can get you a white Invader model if you request to order one. It's just a matter of asking. And as I said, if you're skeptical about the 59 in the neck, try a Jazz model. It's great for cleans and for a bluesier sound. I'm really really happy about the combination.

If you really want a white pick-up cover, you could just like order the pick-up you want (if it comes with an optional cover of course), and just paint the cover white. The least expensive one to do this would probably be the nickel cover. And my Invader-Jazz combo cost me about € 160 with the gold cover on the Jazz model so I think 175$ should be doable for you.

Hit me up if you still have any questions left!

My Youtube Page

Quote by ItWillDo
Considering pick-ups work with waves, that shouldn't alter your sound notably, so no. It's just as you have 59 models with a cover and without. The ones with a cover are usually more expensive.

And practically every guitar store can get you a white Invader model if you request to order one. It's just a matter of asking. And as I said, if you're skeptical about the 59 in the neck, try a Jazz model. It's great for cleans and for a bluesier sound. I'm really really happy about the combination.

If you really want a white pick-up cover, you could just like order the pick-up you want (if it comes with an optional cover of course), and just paint the cover white. The least expensive one to do this would probably be the nickel cover. And my Invader-Jazz combo cost me about € 160 with the gold cover on the Jazz model so I think 175$ should be doable for you.

Hit me up if you still have any questions left!

okay, one more thing. how are the harmonics on it? both natural and pinched? i do alot of those in my playing, along with divebombs and such. (i basically use my floyd rose to the fullest) okay cool! im pumped. i can't wait until i get them in.

picture this. im planning on modding my guitar like crazy. im gonna put those pickups (white invader and zebra 59) in, put a white pickguard on it. it should be sweet.
Quote by burningopera
okay, one more thing. how are the harmonics on it? both natural and pinched? i do alot of those in my playing, along with divebombs and such. (i basically use my floyd rose to the fullest) okay cool! im pumped. i can't wait until i get them in.

picture this. im planning on modding my guitar like crazy. im gonna put those pickups (white invader and zebra 59) in, put a white pickguard on it. it should be sweet.

The harmonics are incredible. I like to play with thick strings and drop tuning (Drop C/B). The harmonics you can pull off with this humbucker are insane. I'm not kidding. Everytime I play with someone they open their mouth in awe after the first pinch harmonic.

And yeah I'm liking the idea, it should look pretty awesome. Keep me updated man.

My Youtube Page

aight cool, will do. ill send u pics when i finish the project (hopefully it wont take too long, since its not too invasive. should get the pups wednesday, and ill prolly pick it up overnight.
Sorry for taking your thread over. but does someone know if the SH-6 is better to coil tap then the Invader?
Quote by burningopera
(think zacky vengeance from A7X).

Already did...

Anyways, I'm a little baffled that you think a pickup change is what you need when you say that your tone just went to hell all of the sudden, IE. that it was actually good to your ear and then crapped out. Have you not considered troubleshooting to find the reason for this drop? You run the risk of getting a similarly muffled sound from your Invader if you don't...
Quote by Pikka Bird
Already did...

Anyways, I'm a little baffled that you think a pickup change is what you need when you say that your tone just went to hell all of the sudden, IE. that it was actually good to your ear and then crapped out. Have you not considered troubleshooting to find the reason for this drop? You run the risk of getting a similarly muffled sound from your Invader if you don't...

You're right, I didn't explain. The EMG Hzs didn't cut it for me in the first place, so that is why I'm getting new pickups. When I get the new pickups installed im going to have the wiring checked on the inside. Im pretty sure it's an issue with the input jack, or some other wiring thing, because I used to have problems with the input jack being loose.

And on a side note: RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan. You will be missed. I felt like I had to mention him.
Quote by astrosaki
would it be stupid to have invaders in both the bridge and neck?

I wouldn't think that it's stupid. The high output of the invader may not be the best for neck though. That's what I was originally going to go with. However, these guys on the thread say that the way to go is to go with a 59 in the neck and an invader in the bridge.
Quote by Pikka Bird
Have you not considered troubleshooting to find the reason for this drop? You run the risk of getting a similarly muffled sound from your Invader if you don't...

+1

You likely have a bad pot, I'd try replacing those first, unless you're really dead-set on getting new pups. But then I'd have to ask why you'd want to spend a bunch of money on pups when you're running through a digital modeling program. Plus, this has got to be the first time I've ever heard anything good about SD Invaders. They've always been described as muddy and awful before. If you really want something high-output, try the Custom Custom.
I Japanese Fenders
MIJ '86 Strat, MIJ '95 Foto Flame Tele, Jackson JSX-94
Schecter C-1 Classic 3TSB, Takamine EG544SC-4C
Warwick Corvette Fretless MIJ '89 P-Bass Lyte
Fender Geddy Lee Sig Bass, Ibanez DTT700 Destroyer
Okay guys, thanks for all your input! Yeah, I thought about the pot issue too. I'm not a genius about this stuff (hence this thred) but I'm not a complete moron. I'm going to be going to GC today to test ecah of the pickups y'all suggested, and see what is most practical for me. Thanks guys!

O
okay, so i went too GC and talked to the guys there. they all said that the invaders are good for one thing: distortion. ive heard this before, but they were pretty strong about this. so i looked around. the invader 59 combo is still in my mind, but i have some other combos too. im set on the 59 in the neck. the bridge pickup is my issue. ill be checking out sound samples tonight on all these...

possible bridges im looking at:
SD distortion
dimarzio jazz
SD dimebucker
alternative 8 (suggested by POWERMETAL!)

anything else i should look into? thanks again
Why not go with a new amp setup?

A new (or used) amp will alter your sound ALOT more then new pickups will.

I would save up for a new amp then new p/u later on down the road
Guitars:

1998 Squier Affinity Stratocaster

Amps:

Peavey Valve king 112

Money is just paper, but it affects people like poetry.
that's a good idea too. any suggestions in amp types to look at? id definitely be going used on this one...

but at the same time, I have a POD x3 Live that pretty much takes care of all that, so wouldnt getting a new amp be more expensive and redundant since i already have several amp tones at my feet anyways?
Quote by burningopera
okay, so i went too GC and talked to the guys there. they all said that the invaders are good for one thing: distortion. ive heard this before, but they were pretty strong about this. so i looked around. the invader 59 combo is still in my mind, but i have some other combos too. im set on the 59 in the neck. the bridge pickup is my issue. ill be checking out sound samples tonight on all these...

possible bridges im looking at:
SD distortion
dimarzio jazz
SD dimebucker
alternative 8 (suggested by POWERMETAL!)

anything else i should look into? thanks again

everyone I've heard talk about the dimebucker says' it's awful… except my drummer who likes to look through the musician's friend magazines.
okay thanks for the heads-up. it seems like artist signatures are hit-and-miss, eh? i wasnt very happy with the dimebucker when i played it either.it really didnt sound too different from other stuff ive played.
Go with something like the seymour duncan JB.

Until you can get a great amp, I wouldn't suggest you go crazy with pickups anyway.

The other pickups you have been throwing around for bridge choices are one-trick-ponies. There are other pickups, like the JB, that can do metal and actually have nice clean sounds too. I would save my money for an amp (this is from experience, when I first started playing I went through 7 different pickups in the first 3 years)
okay, so ive decided im going to go with the seymour duncan distortion. it's got the second best clean sound sample on SD.com (second to JB), and the dirty was great (better then the JB). everybody ive talked to about it says it's very versatile.

so that's it, seymour duncan distortion and a 59 in the neck is what im going with. both cream/black color, btw. thanks for the suggestions guys.
I know you've got the combo sorted but have a look into the Dimarzio X2N. It's the obe I plan on getting it once I've got a new guitar.
My Gear

Washburn WV40V
Vox VT30
Fender Squier Strat
Behringer UM 300 distortion pedal
Line 6 Spider IV 15