I am planning to buy my first acoustic guitar in a few days and I recently played a 12 string Mitchell and it sounded so fantastic - so full and rich. I am wondering if there is some sort of unwritten law about this or not. Is it acceptable to get a 12 string as my first acoustic guitar? Keep in mind, I do play electric guitar already, so I'm not totally new to guitars in general.

I was also wondering if anyone had an opinion on this .

Thanks much.
Well I wouldn't recommend learning guitar on a 12string. But seeing you already know how to play, I can't see any reason why you shouldn't do it
Ibanez 12-strings are usually decent. I have an Ibanez exotic wood acoustic and it's sound is extremely rich and bright, nice bass-y tone to it.
The 12-string in the link is similar to most of them that I've played. And for 400 bucks that's not bad.

On note of this being your first acoustic, it will really all come down to preference. If you really liked the 12-string and you want to always have the extra strings, get a 12. But keep in mind that you won't have a regular six-string acoustic to play with.
But like I said, personal preference is your best guideline.
Will it be difficult to play a normal acoustic if I decide to purchase one later on?
I did that. I bought my 12 string acoustic before my 6 string acoustic guitar and If I could go back probably wouldn't make that mistake but I guess thats a personal choice. I do find cool to play on my 12 string guitar from time to time but never did something really useful out of it.

So I guess if you find that you can do something useful with a 12 string just go for it there's no law agaisnt
Don't want to sound rude, but have you tried a 6 string acoustic properly yet? Just try a 6 string of the same price and quality and then compare the two. There are some beautiful sounding 6 strings out there too, sadly my mind is blank atm but search around. Just don't rush into a decision. Personally i wouldn't buy a guitar from a shop until i had played every single guitar in my price range that fitted my needs within the county i live in.
Last edited by Todd Hart at Dec 28, 2009,
id say, if you like it, go for it. my first acoustic was a 12 string, but i've had it so long that 12 strings feel no different to 6 when playing acoustic, and im equally comfortable with both.

maybe some take to it better than others, for example, my friend bought a 12 string, and even after a year, hes still not as comfortable with it as with a 6 string.

i agree that you should try out as many guitars as you can though, but having 12 strings first wont limit you at all.
it's a lot easier to learn to play the 12 string if you learn on a 6 string. also mitchells aren't very good quality, but they're not the worst. they're the guitar center house brand, although they seem to have spread to musiciansfriend.

i also wouldn't buy a guitar without trying lots - and i mean LOTS - of guitars. i played every guitar in every price range for months before making my last choice.
*waits for obeythepenguin*

Generally, If you're going to get a 12-string...it's best not to buy online. Only use that as a last resort. Try out every 12-string you can find in every store that you can get to. You know how some guitars are great and some are terrible? Well, (from what I hear) it's like that for 12-strings, only more so.

And it won't cripple you to learn to play a 12string as your first acoustic. They're not too different; The strings feel different under your fingers, but it's not that bad. the neck is a little bit wider too, but again, not too bad. It's just if you switch over to a 6-string acoustic at some time, the strings might feel different under your fingers
Quote by obeythepenguin
You win this thread. Pipe organs FTW.

Quote by ShadesOfGray
Let's take it one step further and add a slogan:

Big Bach is listening you!
Quote by patticake
it's a lot easier to learn to play the 12 string if you learn on a 6 string. also mitchells aren't very good quality, but they're not the worst. they're the guitar center house brand, although they seem to have spread to musiciansfriend.

i also wouldn't buy a guitar without trying lots - and i mean LOTS - of guitars. i played every guitar in every price range for months before making my last choice.

If I'm not mistaken, guitar centre owns musiciansfriend. I could be wrong though.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Quote by captivate
If I'm not mistaken, guitar centre owns musiciansfriend. I could be wrong though.

QFT.

They also own Harmony Central and a couple of other things.

Gear:
Partscaster/Tele into a bunch of pedals, a Maz 18 head, and a Z Best cab.