Since i got extra money from the holidays, i was thinking about getting a new pedal or two.
I was thinking about getting the Boss BD-2 Blues Driver and a VOX V847A Wah. I play classic rock and blues do you think this is a good idea to get. my price range is ~$195(USD)

I play on a Epiphone SG vintage through either a Fender Champion 110 or a Fender Stage 160
I play guitar.
I recommend a tube screamer over the BD-2. Maybe a used modded one.
For a wah, I'd say the Crybaby 535q over the vox. I got a used one for $70 and it works great with my sg.
New Setup:
Epiphone Les Paul Custom (Black SG w/ 3 Hum.)
Peavey Classic 50
EHX Metal Muff
Cry Baby 535Q

"I'm the one that's got to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to"
Jimi Hendrix
I think the blues driver only works with a tube amp. Like an overdrive. It will still change the tone of a solid state amp but not in the way it should.
I Survived The "Silent Deftone Cocksucking Forum"!-August 15th, 2006
Quote by wildwildwes594
I recommend a tube screamer over the BD-2. Maybe a used modded one.
For a wah, I'd say the Crybaby 535q over the vox. I got a used one for $70 and it works great with my sg.

This.

There's a lot of controversy over Boss pedals, but if you really want a nice quality sounding pedal for the style music you play, I recommend a tube screamer.

For wahs, the 535Q is probably the best bang for you buck because its very versatile and its quality is superb.

EDIT: Also I recommend the Hardwire SC-2. It's like two pedals in one and it does everything. Sounds great and its built like a tank.
Gear:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio Cherry Sunburst w/ Alnico Pro II
-1960 Yamaha Orange Sticker Acoustic
-Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
-Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
-Blackstar HT-5RH
Last edited by IdntNedUrCvlWar at Dec 28, 2009,
That crybaby is out of my price range. I heard the VOX is better for blues and classic rock.
Which tube screamer do you recommend, right now I'm using my brothers tube screamer TS9, which is ok.

(remember my price range: $195(USD))

@dez: Why would a pedal be different for a tube amp? I'm pretty sure the blues driver is for both.
I play guitar.
Quote by IdntNedUrCvlWar
This.

There's a lot of controversy over Boss pedals, but if you really want a nice quality sounding pedal for the style music you play, I recommend a tube screamer.

For wahs, the 535Q is probably the best bang for you buck because its very versatile and its quality is superb.

EDIT: Also I recommend the Hardwire SC-2. It's like two pedals in one and it does everything. Sounds great and its built like a tank.

This, I have one, and its great for a lot of lower gain music, can't quite do metal, but gets close. And it is built like a tank, you will not regret buying one.
Overdrive: drive or work too hard
Overdrive pedals are typically used to boost your guitars signal into your preamp tubes for more gain. its not going to work as well with transistors (when pushed sound bad, crank your champ on the drive/gain/distortion channel) as with tubes. It should still work on the clean channel, although not as well because you won't have any tubes to overdrive. I'm just stating its not going to react the same way as stevie ray vaughan putting a tube screamer through a tube amp. Im not an expert so i always hope someone else can second my opinion. *Hint!*

Just try it out in store on a similar amp to your main amp. On similar settings. And if possible at a similar volume (watch out on the distortion channel if you choose to try it out with the blues driver. Dangerous feedback.)

Good luck!
Last edited by dez_cole at Dec 29, 2009,
^I've always been told that overdrive pedals just emulate an overdriven tube amp.
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
The MI Audio Blues Pro...........it's Got the The JRC4558D chip and the BIGGEST Bottom end of Any TS or 808 ive used. I'ts True Bypass and works from 9v to 25v.
well right now, i use a tube screamer on my amp, but i never put it on the overdrive channel always on clean. I use it for a little drive not much sorta like a boost and only turn the gain up for some songs.

But that tube screamer isn't mine, if i go to guitar center and i dont like the blues driver ill check out the tube screamer.
I play guitar.
I second the MI Audio Blues Pro. I've only played the Deluxe version (which essentially has a broader EQ setting) and I was thoroughly impressed by it.

I have no idea about quality, but I have heard solid things concering MI Audio.

I can't help with Wah. I'd rather buy into the Lovepedal mini-range.
Is it hard to mod pedals?

And like that Crybaby someone suggested the MI Audio Blues Pro is out of my price range.
I play guitar.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGj9IU5os94 here's a video that might give you more of an idea about the differences between a few types of OD pedals.
Edit: That Blues Driver is a modified one.
Last edited by dez_cole at Dec 29, 2009,
I went to guitar center today, i played with that crybaby and i don't like it, it had to much of a volume boost. But i liked the blues driver, i got one for $66 on ebay. I think im gonna get a VOX v847a or a Vox Clyde McCoy Wah if i can find one.
I play guitar.
I really don't think that pedals are worth it at the moment, considering your amp situation. Not horrible, but could use improvement. That said, you're not going to find a good wah new for less than $100. Look into Morley Wahs. Whoops no links to ebay. Search ebay for "Morley Bad Horsie 2."
Quote by sg4ever
+15,670,899,554,667,881,999

Quote by CullenT
+15,670,899,554,667,882,000
That was a post of sage advice. Listen to this guy TS.

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
Last edited by ibz_bucket at Dec 30, 2009,
Quote by TheWho2
I went to guitar center today, i played with that crybaby and i don't like it, it had to much of a volume boost. But i liked the blues driver, i got one for $66 on ebay. I think im gonna get a VOX v847a or a Vox Clyde McCoy Wah if i can find one.

If your talking about the 535Q, it's because it has a built in boost (the little red switch on the bottom right). You can turn it off.
Peavey 3120
Mesa 2x12 Rectifier Cabinet
Jackson RR5
Jackson DKMG
LTD EC-1000
TC Electronic Polytune
BOSS RV-5
BOSS DD-7
MXR 10-band EQ
EHX Small Clone
Dunlop 535Q Crybaby
BOSS NS-2
Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2+
Quote by KillingMachine
If your talking about the 535Q, it's because it has a built in boost (the little red switch on the bottom right). You can turn it off.

I turned it on and off even with it off, it had a good amount of volume boost, which I don't like.

Anyone have an opinion on the Guddy Guy sig wah?
I play guitar.