Just to give some back ground I am seventeen years old and have been singing for four years now, the past two years or so i've been losing my voice a lot, i would be able to sing for two or three days then lose my voice for two or three weeks, i used to smoke a lot of cigarettes and weed and drink all the time and am now trying to get my voice in proper shape so i can hopefully record an album in the next couple months.

I quit smoking cigs and have cut back on the drinking and pot by quite a bit and now my voice is in much better shape, i don't lose it anymore, i now sing with better technique (i don't strain, try to keep my throat open, make sure my larynx doesn't raise etc.) but the tone of my voice is terrible. my speaking voice is slightly raspy and when i sing high notes it is perfectly on pitch just harsh sounding, i can only hit notes above an f or f# above middle c if i am totally belting, i sound like an older justin beiber (in my head i guess haha) anyway, if i try to back off the volume a little bit my voice instantly goes to falsetto, i need help with controlling it a bit more. also when i sing pretty much any note even low ones around my speaking pitch it is airy and takes like a second for the actual note to happen if that makes sense idk.

anyway my questions are these:

what can i do to get my voice into good shape? (exercises to improve tone, strength, clarity)

does it sound like i have nodules or a polyp or something?

what can i do to make my falsetto sound less forced and more natural?

what can i do to help with the break? (passagio)

see i've heard it all before, (just sing through it, it will strengthen by itself blah blah blah) and its getting me no where. i need my voice to clear up, i want to be able to do those runs where you change notes really quick (i'm terrible at explaining think like justin timberlake or stevie wonder) and i want better control and sustain. please help if you can.

also just throwin it out there but when i do vocal fry my voice doesn't go as low as it used to, is this because of damage or is my voice just still changing? like it feels like it wants to but it won't go down if that makes sense

anyways thanks for your help i can maybe post a recording if you think that would help.

UPDATE: theres a recording of me singing on my profile please listen
Quote by MightyAl
The best way to approach a group of girls is wearing a dirty old trenchcoat with nothing underneath. Open it in slow motion, while making your 'orgasm face', and then run like hell.

]
Last edited by guitar guy 6006 at Dec 28, 2009,
Do you have a sample recording of you singing?..............that will probably get you better feedback and suggestions.
Run through scales with different vowels, starting with buzzes, then go through narrow O's, Ah's, Moo's, Guh's, ect. Also, stick out your tongue and go through the same various and scales with sort of the nastiest "At" sound you can make, without actually closing your mouth, if that makes any sense. Sitting on the notes etc, It sounds like you already know what you should be doing. But do it every day. And are you having trouble with a strong falsetto, or your "head voice?"
MINI enthusiast

@stevenpollock

My band: avenueofembers.com
Quote by neverspoiled
thank you stevenpollock..
the only Pit-head thats not a douche bag...right now anyway
=)
im gonna post a recording that should help

Update: its under my recordings on my profile, only song on there, its two minutes long or so please listen to the whole thing and tell me what you know this is frustrating
Quote by MightyAl
The best way to approach a group of girls is wearing a dirty old trenchcoat with nothing underneath. Open it in slow motion, while making your 'orgasm face', and then run like hell.

]
Last edited by guitar guy 6006 at Dec 28, 2009,
It sounds to me like your getting your tone and resonance mainly from your throat......

Like Stevenpollock mentioned, you should focus on vocals scale exercises. Also, experiment with using the cavitiy in your chest and the back of your mouth as a resonance chamber.....think of it as a little reverb tank... Your tone will improve and you'll have a fuller sound.

As for the falsetto........don't push so much air.
Your description of losing your voice for days at a time worries me. You may have done damage, though there is nothing terribly evident in your recording to suggest you've totally screwed yourself.

If you have a medical plan, it may be worth seeing a doctor just to be sure, but I'm not hearing anything obviously out of whack.

You can never go amiss with lessons from an instructor who can teach you proper technique. That will address all of your problems.

Your range topping out around the F# is not at all unusual. It means that you're within about 80% of the world's male population who are also baritones. Make the best of your voice by recognizing that fact and staying within it.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
well ya thats singing really lightly like speaking level though, that recording went up to a b above middle c, is that normal to have more range if you increase volume or is that bad for it

and what are some excercises and things i can do?
Quote by MightyAl

]
Singing higher notes generally requires much more air. So, yeah, that's entirely normal. Now, your voice didn't sound like the kind of voice that would go quite so high, unless you're counting falsetto. Of course, I only have that one recording to base that opinion on.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
well do you think i could work with it to make those high notes stronger? a lot of the time it feels like the note is almost there but i just dont have enough control to make it work and sound pleasing to listen to,

any specific warmups or anything i can do?
Quote by MightyAl

]