I'm using an Ibanez RG220 with a FR. I decided to tune my guitar because it sounded a bit off, so I did the normal procedures to tuning a FR. I got it in tune, and I started playing.

Then I hit the 14th fret of the D string, which had a loud buzz sound. Not only that, but when I hit it, it sounded an F note instead of the usual E note.

When I press down harder, it finally plays the E note I wanted. But you have to press down very very hard.

What could be the problem? Thanks in advance.
Sounds like your fret is a little high. It would probably be fixed by raising the bridge a little of take it into a shop to have the fret leveled.

Edit: I have the same problem with one of my guitars, but the last guy I took it too did a horrible job and didn't level all of my frets.
Because deep down, I know you want to:

My Youtube Channel

Constructive criticism is always welcomed.
Last edited by Mr. B. at Dec 28, 2009,
Quote by Mr. B.
Sounds like your fret is a little high. It would probably be fixed by raising the bridge a little of take it into a shop to have the fret leveled.

Edit: I have the same problem with one of my guitars, but the last guy I took it too did a horrible job and didn't level all of my frets.

Ah, ok. Should I raise my FR a bit, then?
I had that on the 2nd fret of my first guitar. To fix it, raise the action, or get the frets leveled. What's happening is that the 15th fret is slightly too high and the string touches it. When you press harder, the string bends around your finger and comes off the fret at an angle, so it goes over the other fret.
I'm currently working on a system to generate MIDI from the motion of a guitar. More info coming soon.