It looks like a regular Studio with balsa wood in some places too relieve a little weight. Also has a 60's neck which is a plus personally, along with the 500t/496r pickup set (The same as the explorer for those who don't know).

The specs seem to fit what I want, anyone have experience with it?
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
I have an 2008 Gibson Studio and it really is a great guitar. Even with stock pickups, it does what I want it to do. The weight relief really helps my back out and makes it more enjoyable to play. I sat down with my Studio and a Les Paul Traditional and plugged into a JVM and they practically play and sound the same. The Traditional was a heck of a lot heavier, but it yielded great tone and sustain. So did the Studio.

I mean the higher end Les Pauls feel better to play with the binding, but binding isn't a neccessity for someone who just wants great tone for more then less the half the price.

Try one out and compare and contrast with other Les Pauls. I think you'll find that Studios are underrated and are very nice intruments.
Gear:
-2008 Gibson Les Paul Studio Cherry Sunburst w/ Alnico Pro II
-Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
-Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
-Blackstar HT-1 mini stack
Last edited by IdntNedUrCvlWar at Dec 28, 2009,
Quote by IdntNedUrCvlWar
I have an 2008 Gibson Studio and it really is a great guitar. Even with stock pickups, it does what I want it to do. The weight relief really helps my back out and makes it more enjoyable to play. I sat down with my Studio and a Les Paul Traditional and plugged into a JVM and they practically play and sound the same. The Traditional was a heck of a lot heavier, but it yielded great tone and sustain. So did the Studio.

I mean the higher end Les Pauls feel better to play with the binding, but binding isn't a neccessity for someone who just wants great tone for more then less the half the price.

Try one out and compare and contrast with other Les Pauls. I think you'll find that Studios are underrated and are very nice intruments.

as far as i see it, all that binding does, particularly gibson's binding, is makes it a lot more expensive and time consuming to re-fret the guitar. With a thick coat of nitrocellulose and some nicely rounded fretboard edges most people probably wouldn't be able to feel the difference between a bound or unbound fretboard anyway.

My studio is also a fantastic guitar, even though when i was in the process of paying for it, a lot of UGers made me doubt my purchase with all that nonsense about how the studio fadeds suck and such - how i lifted the doubt was to go into the shop and play it for a while, and now i've got it i don't know how i ever did without it.

As for the studio lite, i've heard good things about that particular model, but never ever buy a gibson without trying that exact guitar that you intend to buy first. My studio is a good example of the little quirks that just about every gibson guitar has that some people can live with while others can't - my studio's fretboard doesn't quite match the width of the neck it's attached to so you can feel the edge of the fretboard while you play, luckily it's not so severe that it makes the guitar uncomfortable to play. Or how the bridge pickup cover is mounted onto the pickup at a bit of a tilt so it looks like the treble side polepieces are set a couple of millimetres down through the bobbin. Good thing i just love that guitar, because i don't think anyone else would
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Studio lites were pretty freaking cool, I was going to buy one back when I was shopping for a les paul (must've been about 8 years ago now) and played one back then. Ebony fretboard too right? Cool guitars...