Poll: How would you rate the Peavey Valveking Halfstack?
Poll Options
View poll results: How would you rate the Peavey Valveking Halfstack?
Freaking Amazing Amp
0 0%
Great Amp
17 21%
Decent Amp
51 63%
Bad Amp
9 11%
Terrible Amp
4 5%
Voters: 81.
Peavey Valveking Halfstack. I want one so far, but I want to get as many opinions as possible before i make a 1k investment. Does anyone have anything they could possibly throw against this amp? Any upgrades that could fix theses problems? Any upgrades that could instantly improve it in any way? Any praises for it? Seriously, any kind of feedback is greatly appreciated
Decent at best. A pretty mediocre amp in my experience, nothing stood out that could make it worth buying IMO. Definitely one of the worst tube amps I've had the chance to play.
I mean, it's heaps better than your current MG, but when compared to other "cheap" tube amps, it can't offer much. Sure you can mod it to make it better, but then you're already spending more money (which you could've spent in a better amp that needed no modding to sound good at first).

Just my 2 cents, if I were you, I wouldn't get it.
- Fender American Standard Ash Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Chopper T & Twang King
- Alhambra 5P
- Laney Lionheart L5T-112
- Line 6 POD XT
- Suhr Shiba Drive
- MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
- Dunlop Cry Baby
What did you dislike about it, and what other amps would you reccomend over it. Keep in mind my budget is around $1,000, but if there is that big of a difference, i might be willing to spend a little more. I also want enough wattage that i won't have to buy an amp for a while because i am going to start gigging as soon as i get a better amp.
Not worth it...buying new atleast. It's a mediocre amp...its not bad, but not great in any way. The clean channel is fairly steril however the distortion channel has a nice tone to it if EQ'd right, however it's a love/hate thing. Peavey reliability for sure. I guess I'll take the plunge and be the first to ask...experience? what kind of music do you find yourself playing most often? And i'm assuming you're going for a $1000 budget...

So many better options out there if you're willing to go used
I tried it twice with different guitars. The first time was rather uninspiring (don't remember what the guitar was called, some french super strat with really dark sounding pickups), but with an LTD Tiger it was really good, especially considering the price. I've tried more expensive amps that were less impressive (or not impressive at all).

But I have bad taste.

EDIT: oh, you have 1000 dollars. What kind of music do you play? Judging by what's listed in your profile, I recommend you look at Laney LC series.
Last edited by sashki at Dec 28, 2009,
Biggest Influences are Slash, Metallica, Tom Morello, Jimmy Page, Joe Perry, Killswitch Engaged, and Avenged Sevenfold. I want a Bluesy-Metal sound. I have tried this amp many times before with many different guitars, but i haven't tried it with my guitar since i got new pickups (it's on my to-do list). I have like everything about it for the most part, but then again I'm used to playing an MG30DFX. I know Marshal and Mesa are out of my league because of price, and I would prefer a stack to a combo because i think that stacks project better. I have been playing for 12 years total and i have played heavily as a religion for about 3 years now. The only tube amps i have tried other than this are: Crate V18, a Peavey Classic, a Fender Blues, a Fender Deville, and a Fender Hot Rod Deville. I have tried tons of SS amps including: Vox Valvetronix, Marshall MG, Roland Cube, Raven, Line 6, Fender Frontman, a Squire, and a Peavey Rage. So needless to say, I don't have a whole lot of experience with tube amps, which is why i find myself asking about this on here. It sounded great to me, but then again i haven't tried a lot of tube amps.
The Valveking wouldn't be a bad choice if you find one used. There isn't much resale in them so you'd probably lucky out and find one cheap..and the price would leave you some room to buy some pedals and really bring the amp to life.

Also look into the Marshall JCM series...800,900, DSL, TSL...all can be found for good prices used (depending on the situation and specific model of course)..they'll range around 500 and up. They'll nail your more classic rock tones, specifically Jimmy page, Slash, and Tom Morello tones but still have enough gain on tap for some of the more modern metal.

They Peavey XXX would also be something to look into, as would a B-52 AT-100.
Quote by Blktiger0
I would prefer a stack to a combo because i think that stacks project better.

Not to be the "get a combo, lawl," guy, but consider some. I've got my 30 watt 1x12 combo mounted on one of these; projects just as well as any stack.

As far as stacks go: Peavey Classic Head with nice OD./Dist. pedals should be good, but a VK is fine if you can find a used one on the cheap. Might also look at a Carvin V3, though they're a tad over your budget when new.
is the b-52 any good? i noticed it on GC today and had never heard of it. Note that I don't want a Straight High-Gain amp because i also go for a more low gain sound at times. I need something really versitle for now until i find a sound that i can completely claim as mine. That's what i liked about the VK was the versitility behind the dampining controls and the Texture control. I planned on looking used for an amp, but i am very wary about that because a few of my friends have been ripped off big time and i have seen some big rip offs for sale that less experisnced musicians would have fallen for in seconds. Any suggestions (note: i'm not a huge Ebay fan, or online fan period...i like to try then buy)
If you get the valveking, don't pair it with the matching cab. It's a fairly decent head and if you're into modding or have a friend who can mod it for you it can be an awesome head with very little extra money invested.
If your not into modding an EQ pedal and an OD pedal is a good investment for it. I've heard a lot of recordings of just the valveking and a badmonkey and they sounded just fine.
I don't have much experience with the B-52. The guy that modded my valveking had one that he did some serious work to that he really liked after it was all done. He wound up trading it straight for a 5150 head though and has said he always wished he had kept it.
Frankly I think a budget of 1000 for a stack is a little low. The valveking isn't bad, and is a reliable amp by most accounts, although they do some things that in the long term I think might cause trouble. In terms of tone, I don't love the valveking but don't hate it either.

For say $1500 you could get an avatar 4x12 with v30s and a used Mesa Tremoverb. That would cover anything from country to thrash with flying colors and be both more reliable and more repairable.

Basically, if I were buying a stack for good sized gigs (and why else would one buy a stack?) then I would feel like a Valveking was kind of half assing it. But that's just my opinion.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.
the problem with spending much more than 1k is that i'm not gonna be able to buy it forever....used is sounding pretty good right now though. I just lost my job and spent the last bit of money i made there on my new pickups (i ruined my old ones and had no choice...let's just say that those copper coils are a bit sensitive), so i am broke. My band is getting ready to start jamming with a full aresenal and palying gigs and we want to be ready by prom this year. That is why i'm going so cheap.
decent at best... i couldnt even find a tone i liked out of it
2008 M.I.A. HSS Strat
Marshall JCM 900 50w Dual Reverb
this should really be in GG&A if someone hasnt already said so. but its alright. deff better then yur MG, but maybe invest a little more. The VK is not good for metal if u planned on playing any. but low-gain should do fine. maybe look for used marshall JCM 800 on CL. I've seen them going for about $1k around me.
TOMAHAWK!

"Now I think I understand how this world can overcome a man..."

R.I.P.
James THE REV Sullivan
i think i'm gonna check out the marshalls and mesa used on CL real quick then....when it comes to OD/Dist tone, i don't want a dethklok/Dime krank searing overdrive or a line 6 spider Insane tone but i want enough ass in the gain to back up my pinch harmonics so they'll actually squeal. My MG can NOT handle those. i know it's not my technique too, cause they sound great through any other amp that i've tried them on (haven't treid them on a fender :-P) including the VK. The heaviest sound i really want would be Killswitch Engage but closer to Metallica or maybe Zakk Wylde. Nothing ridiculous, but enough that i can puch it that far. i really doubt that i will want low gain in the end, but you never know, but i could always buy a fender later on or something. The tone i'm looking for for my writings is probably best described as a metallica crunch/heaviness with a GNR bluesiness/soul. That being said, if i go with a used Marshall, what would be the best for me, and if i go with Mesa, what would be the best? Also, what other amps that have been listed would not be a good idea?

Marshalls:
JCM series...800,900, DSL, TSL

Mesas:
Tremoverb

Other:
Peavey XXX, Peavey Classic, Peavey VK, Carvin V3, B-52 AT-100, Laney LC series

Sorry about the wrong category thing, btw.
maybe a Bugera?? i know that people have had reliability issues with them but apparently they've now fxed the problems if you buy used (around $600 i think). something like a 6262 or 333XL, other than those maybe a Carvin Legacy/Legacy 2?? very good and not too pricey but you can't try them out, you have to buy direct from they're website. there are demos on youtube though so deffo check them out
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
It's a pretty decent amp.
If I were going to spend my money on a half stack though, I'd no way buy a Valveking; I'd only buy it in combo form.
404: Sig not found.
Last edited by ChrisN at Dec 31, 2009,
Ok, here are some links to some marshalls i found on CL and Ebay. Could you guys check them out for me and tell me if you think anything looks sketchy. I'm pretty new to ebay and extremely new to craig's list, so any help would be appreciated.

here are the links, please put the link that you are talking about in your response.

No. 1 JCM 900 50W

No. 2 TSL 100 JCM 2000

No. 3 DSL 100 JCM 2000

No. 4 JCM 2000

No. 5 DSL 100 JCM 2000
option #1 is nice, but I recently purchased the very same head for 500 in great shape, he's asking a little much, $650 is the 100 watt version's territory.

The JCM900 50W + an Ibanez Tube Screamer will get very close, if not be the sound your looking for, because thats a similar to what I was looking for before i settled on mine.

It has that highly sought after Marshall voice.... and 50 watts tube is ****ing loud, mine can keep up with the drums when I run it at 25w.

Im not a fan of the JCM2000 series which is why i chose the 900, it has everything the 800 has plus another gain channel.

you can set it at a really really nice crunch and you get gorgeous cleans when you roll off the volume of the guitar

the thing sounds so ****ing good it gave me goosebumps the first few times I played through it.

I got mine in really good shape for 500 bucks, and I spent 200 on my randall cab with celestions in it

thats 700 for a VERY solid rig, if youre patient you can probably find one in the same price neighborhood
2008 M.I.A. HSS Strat
Last edited by LPstudioWRz28 at Dec 31, 2009,
Quote by LPstudioWRz28

Im not a fan of the JCM2000 series which is why i chose the 900, it has everything the 800 has plus another gain channel.

Why don't you like the JCM2000 series? I'm new to Marshall Amps because i tend to avoid them because of thier price when purchased new. What do you like about the JCM 900 that the 200 doesn't have? What are all of the differences?
Quote by shredftw
maybe a Bugera?? i know that people have had reliability issues with them but apparently they've now fxed the problems if you buy used (around $600 i think). something like a 6262 or 333XL, other than those maybe a Carvin Legacy/Legacy 2?? very good and not too pricey but you can't try them out, you have to buy direct from they're website. there are demos on youtube though so deffo check them out

Have you read the new reviews? Those things are dying left and right.

I'd go with a marshall. Even a 212 JCM combo would be great for your budget.

I have a B-52 and they have a rectified tone. They sound good with mids turned up and basswood guitars. That's a plus. They can do some Heavy Metal ala ACDC and Black Sabbath, but they are not that great with modern Metal.

The Valveking Is nice but it only sounds slightly better than the average upper tier solid state. I call them SSHD lol. The sustain is lacking for a tube amp's expectation.

For low to Mid gain purposes..both of these amps work ok.
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
Last edited by Washburnd Fretz at Dec 31, 2009,
Quote by Washburnd Fretz
Have you read the new reviews? Those things are dying left and right.

Yeah, it's baffling. All these Bugera shills act like they're totally unaware of the reviews, which indicate Bugeras have a life span shorter than the average red-shirted ensign.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.
Quote by Blktiger0
Why don't you like the JCM2000 series? I'm new to Marshall Amps because i tend to avoid them because of thier price when purchased new. What do you like about the JCM 900 that the 200 doesn't have? What are all of the differences?

well it's more preference really, they just dont sound as good as the 800's and 900's to me

I'f you could afford a nice working JCM 800 that would be a badass amplifier, they sound really good, like i would have bought an 800 if i had a little more money to toss around
2008 M.I.A. HSS Strat
Last edited by LPstudioWRz28 at Jan 1, 2010,
Quote by LPstudioWRz28
well it's more preference really, they just dont sound as good as the 800's and 900's to me

What's the difference in sound? can you describe it? I'm gonna check out some demos on youtube in a bit, but if you can describe it too, that'd be great. I'm kinda leaning towards a TSL in terms of features, but a DSL if i can't get a decnt price on a TSL. Also, what would be a good price for each of the Marshalls used? Just a general price range would be appreciated...i just don;t want to get completely ripped off
it's hard to describe, but the JCM2000's do get a really nice metal tone, and they aren't bad amplifiers by any means.

its just the whole mindselt "they dont make them like they used to" kinda like the mindset that alot of people on here have towards Gibson

which is true even when comparing the 900's to the 800's.

The 800's just have this full thick tone which is just awesome.

like with my 900 by itself, when i play gallops it sounds a little thin.... but an Ibanez TS-9 does an absolutely beautiful job at fixing that. I think the 900's do a better job at emulating that old school crunch/ overdrive sound compared to the 2000's where as the exact same can be said when comparing JCM900's to JCM800's

but either way you go, theyre all cool amps, and it's still a tube marshall, which you cant really go wrong with.

alot of people say Marshalls are a waste of money for how expensive they are, but you definitely get what you pay for. i had people telling me not to get a marshall and buy a Crate Blue Voodoo, which are awesome for the money, but it doesnt have THAT marshall sound that i was lusting after.
2008 M.I.A. HSS Strat
Last edited by LPstudioWRz28 at Jan 1, 2010,
I checked out some demos, but seeing as how nobody on youtube uses recording quality mics for demos, i couldn't really make much of a judgement. NO matter what, I want to try them first, but i THIN ki'm gonna go with a TSL 100. I really like the idea of having 3 channels and it seems like that would provide more versatility, plus i seen a viseo about the 25 watt mode, which will help secure my family's sanity while i play. I plan on practicing with this amp too, so that's probably my best option, and considering i am upgrading from a Marshall MG30, i seriously doubt i can go wrong here. Thanks for all the help and info! I had no idea Marshalls were so reasonably priced when you buy used. $650 for an all tube Marshall 100w head sounds like a deal to me.....no i just gotta start selling some of my shit....lol.

Does anyone know a good price i should shoot for for a used TSL 100? Does $650 sound reasonable (i am used to seeing marshalls for like 2k)? Could i get one for a better price, or am i getting a highway-robbery deal on this?
Quote by Blktiger0
I checked out some demos, but seeing as how nobody on youtube uses recording quality mics for demos, i couldn't really make much of a judgement. NO matter what, I want to try them first, but i THIN ki'm gonna go with a TSL 100. I really like the idea of having 3 channels and it seems like that would provide more versatility, plus i seen a viseo about the 25 watt mode, which will help secure my family's sanity while i play. I plan on practicing with this amp too, so that's probably my best option, and considering i am upgrading from a Marshall MG30, i seriously doubt i can go wrong here. Thanks for all the help and info! I had no idea Marshalls were so reasonably priced when you buy used. $650 for an all tube Marshall 100w head sounds like a deal to me.....no i just gotta start selling some of my shit....lol.

Does anyone know a good price i should shoot for for a used TSL 100? Does $650 sound reasonable (i am used to seeing marshalls for like 2k)? Could i get one for a better price, or am i getting a highway-robbery deal on this?

well if it means anything, i have two channels and when i play with my band i only use one of them, but its fun to have a different array of settings and channels to play with, and its nice knowing that all those different sounds are available when you want them

i dont know how much luck your going to have at finding a TSL100 for $650 though, dont be afraid to settle on a DSL 50/100 because they are great amps and theyre slightly cheaper

the TSL100's are still fetching like 750, you may have better luck at getting a good deal on a 50 watt version
2008 M.I.A. HSS Strat
Last edited by LPstudioWRz28 at Jan 2, 2010,