I'm trying to get into classical music. I've been starting out with some Chopin and Beethoven, other than that I don't really know what to do. I need recommendations! Also, what are some real ear catching pieces? Unique classical music is what I'd like to hear, something weird and awesome.

...hope I'm in the right forum
Quote by Ian_the_fox
You're not girly enough of a boy for me, and you're not man enough to take the top. So like, sorry bitch but you ain't mine! Sorry.
Mozart, Bach, Handel. Also, listen to Beethoven's 9th symphony the Finale more especially, Ode to Joy. One of the greatest works of mankind.
Check out some Franz Liszt (or however the hell you spell it). What kinds of other music do you like, sometimes they can bridge over to classical.

Also, Gustav Holst.
Quote by bass-man9712
after i clicked all i could think was "please don't be goatse, please dont be goatse"

PSN: Effigyoferebus (feel free to add it)
Thanks guys...well, I'm not sure how much of a help my favorite music is, I'm a huge fan of progressive rock and metal and more experimental stuff. My favorites range from Megadeth to The Mars Volta to Dream Theater so I'm not really expecting to find anything remotely similar. But I appreciate all kinds of music so that's why I'm putting effort into classical music...
Quote by Ian_the_fox
You're not girly enough of a boy for me, and you're not man enough to take the top. So like, sorry bitch but you ain't mine! Sorry.
Ok, definately check out Holst, he's one of my favourites, listen to the planets suite, Mars in particular. Personally I hate Beethoven, but that's just me. Pollini and Chopin are amazing, oh, and check out Tchaikovsky (I think thats how it's spelt). He wrote some pretty sweet stuff, you might even recognize some (1812 Overture.)
Quote by bass-man9712
after i clicked all i could think was "please don't be goatse, please dont be goatse"

PSN: Effigyoferebus (feel free to add it)
Beethoven - 3rd, 5th and 9th Symphonies, Piano Sonata No. 14 ("Moonlight")
Bach - Brandenberg Concertos No. 2 and 3, Toccata and Fugue in D minor, Prelude in C major
Mozart - Requiem (esp. Dies Irae, Confutatis and Lacrimosa), Symphonies No. 40 and 41, Piano Concerto No. 21, Eine kleine Nachtmusik
try listening to some soundtracks from movies you like/ many are classical. also, check out motzart and music from the 1700s
Shostakovich's 10th Symphony II. Allegro

About as metal as an orchestra can get.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZbJOE9zNjw

Edit: Also, the conductor is awesome.
Gear:
Ibanez S470 (EMG 81/S/85)
Sigma DMC-15E
Laney VH100R
Laney 4x12 Cab
Ibanez Weeping Demon
M-Audio ProKeys 88
Mbox 3 Pro
KRK RP6 G2's
Plum Team FTW!

X
Definitely listen to Guztav Holst. 1st and 2nd Suites are amazing, Jupiter is my personal favorite song from the Planets. Also since you like Dream Theaterm I'll guess you like complex time signatures. Thus listen to "Masada" by Ralph Hutgren, the high school wind ensemble that i'm in played this last year. It's my favorite piece I've ever played. Also another good piece is "Heroes, Lost and Fallen" by David Gillingham. A Vietnam War tribute that will never disappoint.
I find Bach is very easy to listen to and enjoy without reaching for the remote, mute, volume etc. as I do with lots of other classical stuff