Hey guys, im new to both this site and bass guitar, but getting used to both now. Anyhoo, ive only had my new Ibanez GSR200 for 2days but ive already got through about 10 Rage Against the Machine Songs and Muse songs as well. Anyhoo, thought id give Take the Power back a shot, love the slap and pop riff. I got all the notes right in the correct rythem but the problem I have is when I pop the D string it sounds correct but when I pop the A string it creates a kind of high pitch harmonic which does not fit in with the rest of the riff. Im gutted though as I love this riff but I was wondering if any of you more experienced guitarists know any solutions to this. Have a feeling it'll have someting to do with the pick ups as the harmonic sound goes higher in tone the further I play from the bridge.

Any help?
Hey, I was just reading your article. I think when you have the harmonic problem, you are actually creating an artificial harmonic by accident, and this is determined by where you are playing on the strings. Typically you want to be playing in between the two pick ups, not directly above one of them. Also it may have something to do with the actual techniques you are using.. I can't really correct you on that because I can't say I'm an expert on slap and pop technique either. But you should be using the side of your thumb for slaps and index finger for pops.
I hope this helps.
the reason for this is 1) ibanez guitars are not made for slap and pop bass lines they're made for rock feels. im not saying that you cant play slap and pop on it but you'll get a much better sound from it if you use a bass more suited for jazz and funk feels. 2) you must be hitting a harmonic accidentally like the gentleman before me stated. 3) your pick-ups wouldn't have much to do with this problem, your amp would have more of an influence you should check the middle settings on your amp and either turn them down or up. more than likely down though. i hope you fix your problem best of luck.
-Pulse-
You are probably creating an artificial harmonic on the pop based on where you hit the string. Try moving your finger position so that you grab the string in a different place. Even a fraction of an inch should do away with the artificial harmonic.

Everyone wrestles with slap and pop technique; even those of us who almost never use it. You'll work it out.
Quote by rock clown
the reason for this is 1) ibanez guitars are not made for slap and pop bass lines they're made for rock feels. im not saying that you cant play slap and pop on it but you'll get a much better sound from it if you use a bass more suited for jazz and funk feels. 2) you must be hitting a harmonic accidentally like the gentleman before me stated. 3) your pick-ups wouldn't have much to do with this problem, your amp would have more of an influence you should check the middle settings on your amp and either turn them down or up. more than likely down though. i hope you fix your problem best of luck.

Dont ever try to fix a technique problem with your EQ
hmmmm, its still making a sort of muted harmonic sound. Tried slapping between the pickups, didn't work and tried different seettings on Amp etc as well. Puzzled, but I guess that what you pay for, cant have everything, Ibanez SR5005 next me thinks and then I'll be a happy little boy.
I have an ibanez bass and I don't think I had that problem, you could try pulling a different way, use your thumb or different fingers?
idk just mess around with it man
correct me if I'm wrong, but in take the power back... don't you only slap on the A string, and never pop it... ?
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
Quote by UtBDan
correct me if I'm wrong, but in take the power back... don't you only slap on the A string, and never pop it... ?

I think Timmy C. originally popped it. It shouldn't really matter either way though.

The problem sounds like an artificial harmonic... Try popping in a slightly different spot on the same string to see if it still does it.

Edit: Nevermind, I misread your post the first time TS. Either try slapping it or pop it... well try doing it a little faster to see if it makes a difference.
Last edited by edgeyyz at Jan 1, 2010,
Quote by xTKsaucex
hmmmm, its still making a sort of muted harmonic sound. Tried slapping between the pickups, didn't work and tried different seettings on Amp etc as well. Puzzled, but I guess that what you pay for, cant have everything, Ibanez SR5005 next me thinks and then I'll be a happy little boy.

Its not the bass dude, its you.
Quote by tubatom868686
Its not the bass dude, its you.

probably right, its wierd though, as popping on the E string sounds fine but same technique on the A does this whole harmonic shiz. I'll just keep working on it.
Um, to threadjack, how do you get a popped harmonic?

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

Quote by m4l666
Um, to threadjack, how do you get a popped harmonic?

have shitty technique , honestly, if I knew why and how I wouldn't have this problem.
apparently you can do like triplets like slap, popped harmonic, pop or something, I'm j ust interested.

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

Quote by UtBDan

I always slap the A instead of pop... but each to their own I guess