For a long time now, I've been in love with the sounds of the Line 6 DL4 pedal and have had my heart setting on purchasing it. But I'm beginning to think that the loop station is unnecessary for what I want in a pedal, and the DL4 knack for breaking makes me very uneasy about throwing $250 bucks away.

So I'm wondering what you guys think would be the best delay pedal to fit my needs and tastes would be. I want a pedal that will last a few years (enduring possibly touring or at the very least gigging a bit), and I need something with a lot of diversity and class in its' repertoire of sounds. The style of music I play is comparable to The Mars Volta, Incubus, and Red Hot Chili Peppers.

My friend recommended I look into a TC Electronic Nova Delay Pedal, and he also said that Moog is supposed to make a really nice delay pedal...but it runs for around $600. My budget would prohibit me from going to far above $300.

All thoughts and suggestions are greatly appreciated!
Last edited by kurtshapedbox at Dec 28, 2009,
Do you want a delay or a loop?

Electro Harmonix Memory Man or Memory Boy is nice. TC makes the Nova Repeater and the Nova Delay. You can't go wrong with a Boss DD-7 or DD-3, and the MXR M169 is not bad either.
Gibson Les Paul BFG Gator
Line6 James Tyler Variax JTV-69
Line6 Pod HD500
Blackheart Handsome Devil
My uncle has the DM-2 and it's not bad. It's probably one of the best for under 100 bucks, but if you have a lot more money I'd look for something else. Good luck man
Quote by DisasterMatt
My uncle has the DM-2 and it's not bad. It's probably one of the best for under 100 bucks, but if you have a lot more money I'd look for something else. Good luck man

Except it's long discontinued
Nova repater is an awesome digital delay, also check out digitech timebender, its been getting rave reviews.
Gear
Tokai Love Rock
Vox AC4
Danelectro Transparent Overdrive
T.C. Electronic Nova Repeater
Stomp Under Foot Violet Rams Head
I have a Boss DD-5. It does what I want it to, so I don't care if other people hate it.

I personally have GAS for an EHX Memory Man.
Ibanez RGT42DX
Vox AC30C2
Digitech Whammy (FOR SALE!)
Dunlop GCB-95F Crybaby
Boss DD-20
Boss SD-1
Ibanez TS9DX
MXR M-108 10 Band EQ
get a vox time machine.......it is modern digital delay, emulated tape delay, wet and dry outputs , hi-fi lo-fi switching and tap tempo all for £129, and up to 6 seconds delay, plus it sounds really good.
Electro-Harmonix Memory Boy if you don't want to spend all the money.

If you do, then:
Electro-Harmonix Memory Man!!!
John Frusciante
Slash
Jeff Beck
Matt Bellamy
Jack White

HT-5 Owners Thread

Owner of an 1/4 watt custom combo.

Quote by Garou1911
^This man speaks the language of win.

Donate to my cause
From everything recommended I've tried to check everything out (through specs on websites, videos, etc.) and I'd say the Vox Time Machine, the DMB Lunar Echo, and the TC Nova Delay are probably the most on par with what I want. If anyone could run down a half-assed compare/contrast pros/con between the three pedals I'd be incredibly greatful. I don't know a whole lot about the finer aspects of delay pedals so it's kind of hard for me to pick out what's better/worse between them.

Also, I guess my original post didn't make it very clear (my bad) but my price range is roughly about 300 bucks (possibly higher if convinced that something is worth the cash) and my interest in a loop station is non-existent.

Quote by ze monsta
Oh come on, help us out... Froosh' rig is HUGE, and Omar from TMV uses about every pedal in the world...

Are you looking for digital pristine delays, dark analog delays, modulated delays?

Good point, I'm decently familiar Omar's pedal indulgence, as well as the massiveness that is John's pedalboard so I probably should have thought of that. I guess I was just trying to say that i'd want one delay pedal that would serve me well, and be have a diverse enough range of sounds to perform well in a similar style as John, Omar, and Mike Einziger...not necessarily that I'd want to buy every pedal and emulate every delay sound they've ever made.

Also, my knowledge of proper delay terms is very minimal so i don't have a good answer to your last question. I'll be reading up a bit on said things when I get back from work tonight.
if you wanted a digitech hardwire dl-8, i could sell you mine for 100 plus shipping
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Quote by kurtshapedbox

Good point, I'm decently familiar Omar's pedal indulgence, as well as the massiveness that is John's pedalboard so I probably should have thought of that. I guess I was just trying to say that i'd want one delay pedal that would serve me well, and be have a diverse enough range of sounds to perform well in a similar style as John, Omar, and Mike Einziger...not necessarily that I'd want to buy every pedal and emulate every delay sound they've ever made.

Also, my knowledge of proper delay terms is very minimal so i don't have a good answer to your last question. I'll be reading up a bit on said things when I get back from work tonight.

Digital delays tend to replicate what you played very cleanly, exactly as you played it. Whereas on analog delays the repeats will "decay" and aren't exact copies, they get darker. Modulation on delays usually means a bit of chorus or vibrato added to the repeats.

For what you want I'd say a digital delay like the Nova delay or something similar would suit you best. Analog delays will only do their own thing, digital have their own sound and usually a few different modes including usually an analog simulation plus they have longer delay times.
Quote by ibanezgod1973
get a vox time machine.......it is modern digital delay, emulated tape delay, wet and dry outputs , hi-fi lo-fi switching and tap tempo all for £129, and up to 6 seconds delay, plus it sounds really good.

I agree I've got one and its great and really versatile. I really love the analog mode but use digital just as often and they both sound great.
Retro-sonic analogue delay, EHX deluxe memory man, Eventide Time Factor duel delay.

but personally i'd go for the Mad professor deep blue delay.
TC Nova Delay or Nova Repeater.

If you can afford the Nova Delay I would go with that, both of these are fantastic for pretty much anything.
Quote by ThinLizzyFan
I love you

Who's in a bunker?
Who's in a bunker?
Women and children first
And the children first
And the children
Get the DL4. I have 2, and I beat the crap out of them daily, and they work great. I think the old ones broke more often than the newer, current production ones.
I Thought the Nova Delay was OK.......Not worth the $$ MY DD-3 sounded better IMO and the DD-3 sounded better Than a DD-7 and so on. Then i tried A Maxon AD-900 and My search for a delay ended. Do youself a Favor And Try A Very Nice Analog delay.....Can't Hurt??
MXR carbon copy. I love mine to death. It gets a really good omar sound and the decay adds a lot of beefiness to your soloing tone.
Quote by aaronni
Digital delays tend to replicate what you played very cleanly, exactly as you played it. Whereas on analog delays the repeats will "decay" and aren't exact copies, they get darker. Modulation on delays usually means a bit of chorus or vibrato added to the repeats.

For what you want I'd say a digital delay like the Nova delay or something similar would suit you best. Analog delays will only do their own thing, digital have their own sound and usually a few different modes including usually an analog simulation plus they have longer delay times.

Wow, that cleared things up immensely... although I think the analog delay might actually be more appealing to me than the digital based on the way you described it.

Is there anything good/bad somebody could tell me about the Moog MF-104Z Analog Delay Pedal or the Empress Superdelay? I don't think anyone has mentioned either of them yet, and I'm wondering if either of them are worth the heft price they're tagged with...

Also, thanks for all of the replies so far! I didn't realize how awesome and helpful everyone on this forum would be...but this thread has been ridiculously useful in getting my footing in the delay pedal world. Thanks everyone!
Quote by kurtshapedbox
Wow, that cleared things up immensely... although I think the analog delay might actually be more appealing to me than the digital based on the way you described it.

Is there anything good/bad somebody could tell me about the Moog MF-104Z Analog Delay Pedal or the Empress Superdelay? I don't think anyone has mentioned either of them yet, and I'm wondering if either of them are worth the heft price they're tagged with...

Also, thanks for all of the replies so far! I didn't realize how awesome and helpful everyone on this forum would be...but this thread has been ridiculously useful in getting my footing in the delay pedal world. Thanks everyone!

That's something you can only answer. I personally struck gold with the Nova Delay. It's versatility while still keeping quality that emulates that analog sound. As stated, I needed something that could pull many off styles from Ambient to "regular leads". Now, if I wanted high quality delay meant purely for tone, say for Ambient/Shoegaze genres, I'd buy the Lunar Echo. It all depends on your needs and sense of tone, which is purely relative. This way, I'd get a piece of art while avoiding ridiculous prices for 99.99% of us guitarists.
Quote by Eddie4President
Either you remind her of a girl, or she's not a lesbian.

Quote by blake1221
Jabba's real name is Katie.
Quote by RR787
That's something you can only answer. I personally struck gold with the Nova Delay. It's versatility while still keeping quality that emulates that analog sound. As stated, I needed something that could pull many off styles from Ambient to "regular leads". Now, if I wanted high quality delay meant purely for tone, say for Ambient/Shoegaze genres, I'd buy the Lunar Echo. It all depends on your needs and sense of tone, which is purely relative. This way, I'd get a piece of art while avoiding ridiculous prices for 99.99% of us guitarists.

It's back ordered.. three months wait.
Quote by DisasterMatt
i'd just like the point out the dm-2 goes for $300.
Quote by kurtshapedbox

They both sound pretty fantastic and have a wealth of options with them, but I don't think the Moog is worth however much that runs for. The Lunar Echo...possibly...

And now I have GAS
Quote by ze monsta
Except it's long discontinued

And costs a lot more than 100 bucks nowadays.
TS, I'd get a Line6 DL4. Awesome all arounder.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Quote by ze monsta
At $300 you could probably get:

EHX DMM
Keeley AD9
Subdecay Echobox
Guyatone flip delay
Dr Scientist Sunny Day Delay

and more

This. or the Malekko 616 but IMO it's not that great.

Stuff the MXR Carbon Copy, unless you're looking for really dark repeats and meh modulation.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
avoid electro harmonix, if there a is a problem with the product you're out of luck, or you could end up spending a lot more than planned. it would help if you showed us videos of the exact sound you want.
Quote by AICfreak
avoid electro harmonix, if there a is a problem with the product you're out of luck, or you could end up spending a lot more than planned. it would help if you showed us videos of the exact sound you want.

I dunno, I've never had a problem with my DMM since I got it two years ago. =/
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

Member of the EHX Guild
Quote by rhcp_freak
This. or the Malekko 616 but IMO it's not that great.

Stuff the MXR Carbon Copy, unless you're looking for really dark repeats and meh modulation.

With $300 he could get a lot more than the 616
Although $300 is sorta between the really good stuff at $250 ish, and the amazing stuff at like $400 (if we're talking about new gear, used I'm sure you could fine some decent deals).
Quote by ze monsta
With $300 he could get a lot more than the 616
Although $300 is sorta between the really good stuff at $250 ish, and the amazing stuff at like $400 (if we're talking about new gear, used I'm sure you could fine some decent deals).

Yeah I just had a look and saw the price. >.<

But yeah, I guess it's good for the price then.

And some examples of delay tones would be nice. Frusciante uses the DL4 and Omar uses the DMM.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

Member of the EHX Guild