So, i just got a bass but i can already play For whom the bell tolls, and Freezing Moon(by Mayhem). I don't really know where to go. Any suggestions. I have been playing with a pick(more comfortable because i was a very mediocre guitar player )but i am working on developing my fingerpicking. Any tips(websites) on scales and the such. I will probably learn some black metal(as im hoping to start a black/death metal band as some point) and other metal songs. I know there is a suggestion board but can anyone recommend me any more semi-easy extreme metal songs.
thanks
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"
Scales: Major scale + all the modes: Dorian, Phrygian, Lydian, Mixolydian, Aeolian and Locrian. I don't know to much black metal but hand of blood by bullet and Bleeding mascara by Atreyu are probably good picks
haha this isn't really a beginner song, and some people don't consider it a metal band anymore, but Anesthesia-Pulling Teeth is good for exercising your fingers! and it sounds amazing.. It's by Metallica, but it's Cliff Burton's bass solo, and that man was and is a god... so yeah. do it. now.
Quote by seeneyj
Scales: Major scale + all the modes: Dorian, Phrygian, Lydian, Mixolydian, Aeolian and Locrian. I don't know to much black metal but hand of blood by bullet and Bleeding mascara by Atreyu are probably good picks

he said black metal, BLACK METAL
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
BLACK METAL!!!
Quote by StankMcGarnagle
Did you guys ever get lucky and have someone die the day before or of your gig and get to promote yourselves with it? Sweet huh?

you need help.

FRANTIC MASTURBATION
Quote by seeneyj

those are core atreyu's later stuffs more alt metal and BFMV's 2nd album is more thrashy since Matt f*d his vocals up bit like heafey.

black metal is the likes of Emperor and Dimmu.Not a genre i know a great deal about
Guitar Gear
Guitar: Ibanez GRG140 (black)
Amp:Peavey Vypyr 75

Bass Gear
Bass: Fender P-bass MIM,Peavey Millenium 5 BXP (x2),Epiphone Thunderbird
Amp:Ampeg PF500 w PF210 cab
Pedals: ODB-3,Big Muff.
We have Baroque for 150 years and now we can't go five minutes without a new genre of some denomination or another cropping up.

Anyway, to excel more in your instrument look to do some real learning of it. Learn technique, learn theory, learn technique, learn how theory applies, learn technique etc.
some dimmu borgir is not too hard. look at songs off the more recent albums (death cult Armageddon and in sorte diaboli) the serpentiner offering and cataclysm children for example
DONT RISK IT, BUY A BASS AMP
Thanks for your help. Im not a big fan of Dimmu but i might give them a try. I think im going to try some burzum(my favorite BM band) and see how that goes. Ehh and maybe some "I am the Black Wizards". Also can anyone tell me a good website to learn some scales. I know how major scales are formed but am not sure how they translate to the fretboard correctly(I learned a little theory on the piano but fretboards confuse me with the octaves and what not)
Check out Behemoth - Conquer All (C# tuning). That's what I started playing when I got my 5 string bass after 8 months of playing. It's not that simple, but at least you will have a goal ahead of you.
Scales - a really good and visual way of understanding scales is Guitar Pro. There you can select a scale and it will be mapped out on the "fretboard" with numbers on the note order in the scale. And you can select whats the root of your scale and so on. VIsual - practical and makes me write solo's easier.
Quote by nesveikuolis
Check out Behemoth - Conquer All (C# tuning). That's what I started playing when I got my 5 string bass after 8 months of playing. It's not that simple, but at least you will have a goal ahead of you.
Scales - a really good and visual way of understanding scales is Guitar Pro. There you can select a scale and it will be mapped out on the "fretboard" with numbers on the note order in the scale. And you can select whats the root of your scale and so on. VIsual - practical and makes me write solo's easier.

Haha i just turned Conquer All on right before i read your post(Behemoth is one of my favorite bands actually). I would play it but i don't have a 5 string.

I do have guitar pro but i never thought to use it. I guess i will have to go check that out, thanks
Conquer All can be played with a 4string downtuned to C# - 1,5 steps down. Yea, GP is a very powerfull tool for making/learning music.
Cheers.

Quote by Rain_In_Blood
Haha i just turned Conquer All on right before i read your post(Behemoth is one of my favorite bands actually). I would play it but i don't have a 5 string.

I do have guitar pro but i never thought to use it. I guess i will have to go check that out, thanks