Hello All and Happy New Year, Recently on a show on the history chanel (pawnstars) a guy who said he used to tour with bands such as triumph and others was trying to pawn a (what he thought was a 1960) les paul, he wanted $25000 for it! the guitar was quite used (still beautiful) and he did'nt claim any famous attachments to it, so being that I'm not a guitar expert, even close! why such a heafty asking price? was 1960 special, and if so why?
lookaguitarplayingyeti?
Quote by yeti66
Hello All and Happy New Year, Recently on a show on the history chanel (pawnstars) a guy who said he used to tour with bands such as triumph and others was trying to pawn a (what he thought was a 1960) les paul, he wanted $25000 for it! the guitar was quite used (still beautiful) and he did'nt claim any famous attachments to it, so being that I'm not a guitar expert, even close! why such a heafty asking price? was 1960 special, and if so why?

Because it's an all-original almost-50-year-old Gibson Les Paul. That's why.

an all original 1957 Fender Stratocaster in baby blue will run about the same price nowadays.
partially its just supply and demand. And im sure theres lots of Les Paul collectors out there.
MY Music
AMPS:
Chute CC-04 2x12
GUITARS:
Fender American Deluxe Strat SSS (with DG-20's)
Martin Dx-1
PEDALS:
Big Muff Pi Tone Wicker
Keeley Mod Bluesdriver
Holy Grail Plus Reverb
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Boss RC-2 Loop pedal
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']Because it's an all-original almost-50-year-old Gibson Les Paul. That's why.

an all original 1957 Fender Stratocaster in baby blue will run about the same price nowadays.

Sure, They may be "Worth" it but I rarely see guitars sell for such prices on eBay. So what does that tell you?

Anyway, To the OP. Vintage all original guitars may be up in price but you don't see them actually selling much anymore. At least not on eBay. I wouldn't buy a guitar that expensive if I didn't play it first. Heck, I probably wouldn't pay $5000 for any guitar. I think the most I'll ever pay for one is $3000.
Always tin your strings.

_____

Don't be afraid to be honest.
Last edited by Gargoyle2500 at Dec 28, 2009,
When I was heavy into collecting Gibsons in the 80s these guitars were pretty cheap it's only in the last 10 or 12 years where the prices have been going up crazy high. Last guitar show I was at there were vintage Les Pauls ranging from ten grand to well over a hundred grand. Some looked like sh*t and played like sh*t but were still outrageously priced. Once something get considered a high end collectible that's it. Price skyrocket but the problem with items like vintage Les Pauls the market can fluctuate big. I have seen the same price jump in late 60s and early 70s muscle cars in the same time period.

A guitar is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it most of the time actual guitar players are not buying these guitars the people who buy them are just collectors who hope it's a good investment.

John
Quote by johnro6659
When I was heavy into collecting Gibsons in the 80s these guitars were pretty cheap it's only in the last 10 or 12 years where the prices have been going up crazy high. Last guitar show I was at there were vintage Les Pauls ranging from ten grand to well over a hundred grand. Some looked like sh*t and played like sh*t but were still outrageously priced. Once something get considered a high end collectible that's it. Price skyrocket but the problem with items like vintage Les Pauls the market can fluctuate big. I have seen the same price jump in late 60s and early 70s muscle cars in the same time period.

Pretty much this.
Vintage all original guitars may be up in price but you don't see them actually selling much anymore. At least not on eBay.

Ebay is hardly an accurate representation of a market as a whole. These guitars do still get sold for those prices - at shows and between private people.

But I do agree with your principles on price. I doubt I'd ever pay more than $2500 for any guitar - and if I'm paying that much, the damn thing had better prevent baldness, cure cancer, stop world hunger and keep my girlfriend satisfied for me while I'm away.
Last edited by Flying Couch at Dec 28, 2009,
An original 1959 Les Paul standard in mint condition sells for over $400,000.
Ibanez S7320
Peavey 5150 + Mesa 2x12 Rectifier
Its also got to do with the fact that so many professional artist use or own a 59 Gibson Les Paul. People like Slash, Buckethead, Jimmy Page, and Billy Gibbons all have their 58,59,or 60 les pauls. Its got to do with that fact that they are apperently perfect, beautiful looing guitars with great sounding pickups/woods/ect.ect.
But thats pretty much all preferance. You could buy a reissue and ten more with that money.