How does one go about them? They're the hardest part of a song for me, and I have come up with some good ones, but they rarely match with the song.

How does the MT go about writing their chorus'?
A common approach unfortunately is to build them off the IV. I hate doing it but often times I find its the only thing that feels right with the melody I have, and when I write songs, my melody is king, because I am a singer songwriter and writing for a specific audience genre in mind. Knowing theory, the tendency is to want to apply it outside, but there are times when the ears just don't like what they hear, so, a common move to the chorus for me is the IV chord I use ii and iii many times for bridges, and sometimes bVII in my writing. Do what sounds good ultimately to your ears.
Last edited by Sean0913 at Dec 28, 2009,
Sometimes I will actually modulate up a half step for the chorus, makes it sound brighter.
These are good tips guys... I've been having this same problem and what's been said so far has been pretty useful.
TS, I hope you find it easier to keep the parts flowing, bro.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
How would you make that flow?

Not really much of a flow, I just like the effect it gives when the pre-chorus ends on a V7 waiting to resolve and then suddenly goes to a #I. I find this only effective in major key songs though.
Finish the verse low. Start the chorus high. Keep it simple and relative.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
How does one go about them? They're the hardest part of a song for me, and I have come up with some good ones, but they rarely match with the song. How does the MT go about writing their chorus'?

Well from what I've heard of yours so far (which isn't alot but I like it as you know), it's definitely atypical to what I'm used to so my idea of a chorus would probably differ from yours. I'm also not a songwriter.

The only thing I can suggest is try writing the chorus first and building off of it.

Maybe you're just being hard on yourself?

...and keep up the good work!
Quote by BamaMatt
Finish the verse low. Start the chorus high. Keep it simple and relative.

I'm having trouble understanding what you mean. This doesn't seem like a good thing to do.
It seems like you are putting yourself into a box.
I think there are some standard harmonic relationships that verses and choruses often share, although no one has really sat down and mapped them out. One classic trick, though, is that the verse will start on tonic and go somewhere else, while the chorus will start somewhere else and lead back to tonic. In other words, verses go away from home, choruses come back; this gives the chorus a cadential quality that arguably makes it all the more satisfying. Of course, that’s just one generic paradigm, and I can’t say yet what many other typical paradigms are.
Are You Shpongled..?
good tips guys... I like them all. I'm starting to get the hang of my own "style" of chorus'. With the newest song I'm writing being the newest version of it.

Thank you for the tips :] They helped.

And thanks JudgeDrey!

Any others?
btw, I sent you a msg on Xmas, did you happen to notice your posts count that day? That was spoOky..