hi!

im about to buy an amp, probably a combo, and i am very interested in this amp...however, as i live in Argentina, there is no way i can personally try one of these... so i've got a couple of question to those who know about them or have a Mark iib ...

im a huge fan of mesa sounds, however the only amps i know about are the Rectifier series and the Mark IV... and since Mark II are cheaper...

would u recommend it??
how do cleans sound?
would u buy this amp again?
whats the "characteristic" of this amp in the Mark Series?

thanks !!

ivan!
Ivan!

Proghead+Metalhead= ME

||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

URL=http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ar gentina
i had a Mark IIB for a while. Its not really the same as the other marks in terms of vast quantity of sounds but it does have a good clean sound(charecteristic of all marks) and a good crunch. But for heavier stuff i wouldn't recommend it really unless its at a steal of a price so you can resell it later for a profit
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
Quote by mexican_shred
i had a Mark IIB for a while. Its not really the same as the other marks in terms of vast quantity of sounds but it does have a good clean sound(charecteristic of all marks) and a good crunch. But for heavier stuff i wouldn't recommend it really unless its at a steal of a price so you can resell it later for a profit

thks!

what about smooth lead sounds?? i dont expect of course a Mark IV... but what did u get?
Ivan!

Proghead+Metalhead= ME

||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

URL=http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ar gentina
the Mark IIB (like all marks) has an absolutely brilliant clean sound. A little known fact is that Mark Knopfler used a mark IIB on a few songs on all the Dire Straits albums after Making Movies, and he is renowned for having a very sharp country kind of tone. So the cleans are absolutely fantastic. I have considered buying this amp many times, but as of now I have yet to find one for sale. this amps characteristic is its crunch. It has a very nice cleans, but where it truly shines is as an amplifier for crunchy rhythm tones, at least in my opinion.

EDIT: It's leads are very nice for anything but really heavy music. It is an amp built in the era before heavy metal got huge, and is thus not built to deal with insane amounts of Gain. It is however, a very smooth gain.
Last edited by Lt. Shinysides at Dec 29, 2009,
Quote by ivan_2894
thks!

what about smooth lead sounds?? i dont expect of course a Mark IV... but what did u get?

you'd need an OD pedal to get it past anything that wasnt "classic" rock perse.
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
A little trick that you can do with the IIB is that you can attach an expression pedal to a certain jack which allows you to control your preamp gain on the fly.

Some also say it has a pretty nice breakup when you max out the gain on the clean channel. I haven't played it though.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
It ll get to Santana style gain i assume. But the Mark IIB was the one with the dodgy reverb circuit if i m not mistaken. Theres a mod to fix this, but just keep it in mind.
My Gear
-ESP truckster
-Ibby RG 7 string
-Mesa/Boogie Studio Preamp (Mk2C+ mod)
-Mesa/Boogie 50-50 Stereo Poweramp
-Mesa/Boogie Vertical 2x12 (C90 and EVM)