ok so I got back from GC, and Im kinda new to this but I only had a chance to play some random cheap Ibanez guitar, then after I played a MIM fender strat HSS (499$), and for some reason the Ibanez was just sharper, the strings felt sturdier, the sound had more roar, the fender felt fragile and wasnt loud at all

sucks because I was really going to go with a fender, the only thing I can think of its that hundreds of people abuse that guitar at guitar center so its worn out

what do you think?
well I think that you have a different personal preference, if you like that ibanez? you damnwell go out and get it.
You're just finding out that you dont need a big price tag on some gear for it to be amazing to you.
No shame in buyin something thats under 500 bucks that YOU like.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
A lot of the time price is based on what they think a customer is willing to pay for a certain product.
the main thing with cheaper guitars is not lower quality it's variable quality. You may have found yourself a flukily amazing ibanez! In which case buy it - my yamaha pacifica was ~£200 but it plays better than many a genuine strat and les paul (and the 11 other pacificas i compared it to when buying). I've been offered up to £600 for it from a guy who was just having a play on it

in short if you think it plays better and sounds nicer there is a good chance it really does, but a certainty that you like it more! so buy it
Ibanez and Fender are completely different instruments, and I'm willing to bet the latter had single coils. Ibanez tend to have a longer scale length and a thinner neck, hence the strings feeling 'sturdier'. Price has very little to do with how a guitar plays, my £500 8-string plays on par with a £1200 Ibanez 8
ohai little sig.
It's a completely different guitar. The Ibanez has a different shape and different pickups, and probably different body wood and a thinner neck. It's just different.

Edit: Beaten to it.
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
Any decent guitar can be set-up great and yes, judging specific guitars by playing them in Guitar Center isn't always accurate as you said, because everyone and their dog plays on them and abuses them. Perhaps you should broaden your scope? If the cheapy Ibanez was good for you, perhaps look into some better Ibby models approaching the $500 mark of the Fender...you may just end up with an Ibanez.
there are numerous reasons why the ibanez may have seemed better. the fender may be in need of a proper set up for starters. the necks on those makes are very different so that to will be noticeable. price doesn't always translate into playability.
Quote by Kid Lucas
and wasnt loud at all

did you try putting up the volume on the guitar?

Quote by Kid Lucas

sucks because I was really going to go with a fender, the only thing I can think of its that hundreds of people abuse that guitar at guitar center so its worn out

what do you think?

making excuses because you want a certain brand OMMMMMMMM 09er has much to learn... ive been through that stage ...and got a Dean RB and regret it now ...

get which ever one FEELS and SOUNDS better ... forget the Brand....
Quote by rgrockr
You can buy whatever guitar you want, you don't have to be at a certain skill level to buy one. This is real life, not some guitar-playing RPG where you have to unlock new guitars.
Last edited by kakos at Dec 28, 2009,
I'm pretty sure you like the Ibanez better because of the kind of music you play. I like my Ibanez guitars as much as my Fender... just not for playing the same kind of stuff.

On the other hand, if you're on terms of feel (or playability)... both of my ibanez guitars "felt" better than my Fender, but I got used to it. That's a $150 GRX & $300 RG feeling better than the $950 MIM Strat.
Kaguya: Ibanez GRX20 - Coil-split handwound Humbuckers
Isabelle: Fender 50's Road Worn Strat signed by AutoVaughn
Selene: Ibanez RG2EX1
Blackstar HT-5
If you were at a store it could just be that the strings on the strat needed changing. Bad strings + cheap single coils = feels bad, sounds like crap.
It's all preference. A strat with a nice, thick neck and heavy strings feels best to me.
Quote by musicjunkie207
The time I fell on my face on a trampoline and cracked my neck, then proceded to run around the yard in a blind panic screaming "I hope I'm not paralyzed! OH GOD I THINK I'M PARALYZED!"

Quote by Tango616
well I think that you have a different personal preference, if you like that ibanez? you damnwell go out and get it.
You're just finding out that you dont need a big price tag on some gear for it to be amazing to you.
No shame in buyin something thats under 500 bucks that YOU like.

cus fender is gay...but seriously what this guy said