hey guys. Got two 1 minute tests. The pod x3 tone test is my first recording done with the pod (got it on christmas) and its with a tone I came up with in a few minutes. The VSL test is for the vienna symphonic library. its a extremely advanced orchestra simulator so its just a quick one minute orchestral piece i wrote, hopefully I will expand it a great deal.
drums in the pod x3 test are SD2.0. If you have any questions do ask.

Pod x3 Tone test: SoundClick artist: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=971601&songID=8536647

VSL Test: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=971601&songID=8536656
Last edited by MetalBass 77 at Dec 28, 2009,
Hi there - thanks for your crit of mine.

Pod x3 test: Brilliant peice of music but then I might be slightly biased because I'm a sucker for weird time signatures. I can't really fault it because it fits so well with what I like to hear - I'd love to hear the results if it was fleshed out into an entire song

VSL test: I'm not even going to attempt to critique classical music because it's so beyond my realms of expertise. I'll just leave it at this: I liked it a lot to listen to and kudos for throwing some classical out there to be critiqued.
Quote by IronMark666
Hi there - thanks for your crit of mine.

Pod x3 test: Brilliant peice of music but then I might be slightly biased because I'm a sucker for weird time signatures. I can't really fault it because it fits so well with what I like to hear - I'd love to hear the results if it was fleshed out into an entire song

VSL test: I'm not even going to attempt to critique classical music because it's so beyond my realms of expertise. I'll just leave it at this: I liked it a lot to listen to and kudos for throwing some classical out there to be critiqued.

thanks for the crit, but i have to request one more thing from you. what did you think production wise? I've been working on my music production a lot recently and like where im heading, but if you have any advice id like it.
Quote by MetalBass 77
thanks for the crit, but i have to request one more thing from you. what did you think production wise? I've been working on my music production a lot recently and like where im heading, but if you have any advice id like it.

I'm at the very early stages of doing engineering at college so I wouldn't say my critique of production is worth a lot yet but from what I heard it was really good. Having said that, I actually don't know anything about the software you were using but they both sounded really slick (especially the first one). I would be happy with myself if I was able to produce something to that quality at this stage.
Quote by IronMark666
I'm at the very early stages of doing engineering at college so I wouldn't say my critique of production is worth a lot yet but from what I heard it was really good. Having said that, I actually don't know anything about the software you were using but they both sounded really slick (especially the first one). I would be happy with myself if I was able to produce something to that quality at this stage.

the software/hardware im using is very top notch. Pod x3 is a guitar/bass recording pedal thing. My tone i came up with I think is decent, but ive heard some amazing tones made with it that i cant wait to make. The drums are Superior Drummer 2.0. Sound amazing right from the first preset, but with tweaking can sound even better (Ive made my own preset and i think its pretty damn solid ) and for the orchestral stuff i used the Vienna Symphonic Library. Some of the best orchestral samples, and im using their "cheap" bundles. I dont touch these up at all because they sound so great out of the box. my hunch is that tweaking would just ruin them.
Thanks for the crit!

Pod X3: I'd make the beginning riff a little more interesting, but the rhythm of it is really neat. Maybe instead of playing it again, put a little variation in it every time you play it. The heavier one near the end of the recording I can really get into, mega jamming. The production was nice, I like the guitar tone, but I'd probably use a different pickup, but that's just all subjective. The Pod X3 sound excellent!

VSL: The piano sounds great, but I'd write it with more velocity changes so it doesn't sound like a 80's midi keyboard. The strings all sound beautiful, same thing velocity wise for those. I love the phrasing on the recording itself. Excellent structure, but I'd probably have the piano change the pace a little more to emphasis some of the things the strings might be doing. Great contrast though!
Last edited by Kor-Ryal at Dec 28, 2009,
Quote by Kor-Ryal
Thanks for the crit!

Pod X3: I'd make the beginning riff a little more interesting, but the rhythm of it is really neat. Maybe instead of playing it again, put a little variation in it every time you play it. The heavier one near the end of the recording I can really get into, mega jamming. The production was nice, I like the guitar tone, but I'd probably use a different pickup, but that's just all subjective. The Pod X3 sound excellent!

VSL: The piano sounds great, but I'd write it with more velocity changes so it doesn't sound like a 80's midi keyboard. The strings all sound beautiful, same thing velocity wise for those. I love the phrasing on the recording itself. Excellent structure, but I'd probably have the piano change the pace a little more to emphasis some of the things the strings might be doing. Great contrast though!

thanks for the crit man. I will probably wind up playing the piano myself on my midi keyboard, as its not super hard and it will solve the velocity issue. The piano i want having that constant rhythm, but if you listen closely at parts the notes change to accompany the chords going on in the strings.

As for the pod x3 test, I need to add some drum fills/cymbal additions. you'd be suprised how a couple snare rolls and cymbals can make a piece much more exciting. and yes the pod x3 sounds excellent, i cant wait to do some serious tweaking. A massive upgrade from guitar pro 3. a tad random but what do you use for guitar recording wise? I thought your tone was pretty impressive in your song.
Quote by MetalBass 77
As for the pod x3 test, I need to add some drum fills/cymbal additions. you'd be suprised how a couple snare rolls and cymbals can make a piece much more exciting. and yes the pod x3 sounds excellent, i cant wait to do some serious tweaking. A massive upgrade from guitar pro 3. a tad random but what do you use for guitar recording wise? I thought your tone was pretty impressive in your song.

The littlest ghost snares or well-placed tom during the middle of a beat makes all the difference, pretty sweet how that works.

I use probably what most would consider a crime for recording. I record with a Blue Snowball USB microphone mic'd up to a Line 6 Spider III 75w amplifier. I personally think it's pretty good. For my glossier cleans I have to hook up my Digitech GNX4 to my computer via USB. I think it's pretty decent myself.

So yeah, looks like you're already on it with personal tweaking to get a sweet sound, keep on it!
hey,

listen to the pod test, Im like the idea of this test, it could be a lil more tied for what about timing, my only complain is the snaredrum, to flubby in my hones opinion.
the last part of the song rocks!!!
The Vienna Symphonic Library sounds too fake. What I would suggest is something like EastWest Quantum Leap Symphonic sound library. It has key switches for almost anything you need. For the piano i would suggest Steinberg's The Grand 2 or 3, they have really full and rich tones. A little eq and stereo separation will do you good. But all in all it is a good peace
Quote by TYamaguchi
The Vienna Symphonic Library sounds too fake. What I would suggest is something like EastWest Quantum Leap Symphonic sound library. It has key switches for almost anything you need. For the piano i would suggest Steinberg's The Grand 2 or 3, they have really full and rich tones. A little eq and stereo separation will do you good. But all in all it is a good peace

im truly not doing the software justice. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GB_QueMQ7kI
go to around 1:10 and here the software sounding really sick.
The POD has surprisingly good tone. The VSL sounds a bit fake, but still good, albeit almost completely without dynamics IMO. Thanks for the crit, sorry I took so long to respond.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
The pod sounds a better than most digital amps, however it still has the digital harshness...
The Symphony sounds pretty sweet though, they are just missing a tiny bit from the real thing (the sound the bow makes on the strings seems to be super tough to emulate), I'd give it a 8/10 though, very cool!
70's Japan Greco SuperPower
Amps: '65 TRRI - Peavey Classic 50 4x10 - Epiphone VJ Head (Modded) - 2x12 Celestion Greenback Cab
FX: BK Tube Driver - EH Small Stone - MXR CC
Acoustics: Breedlove ADSM20 - Alveraz 5021 12-String