I was thinking of buying the MXR Carbon Copy.
I play on a small tube amplifier with not reverb and my clean tones are really bad.
I looked for a reverb pedal but couldn't find one that's analog.

Is it common and/or a good idea to use an analog delay pedal as a reverb ?
I think it could work. I think the Carbon Copy would work really well for that. I use one for delay, but the dark, warm repeats seem like they would do well for reverb, if you have the delay set really short.
Fender American Select Strat HSS Antique Burst
Fender American Select Strat HSS Transparent Crimson
Fender American Deluxe Strat
PRS Custom 24 USA
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Parker PDF100
Quote by XJMLX
I
I looked for a reverb pedal but couldn't find one that's analog.

Don't be afraid to go digital, especially for reverb
I'm trying to get the most organic sound possible.

What would you suggest me for a reverb pedal ?
Verbzilla maybe? Malekko spring chicken if you can find one.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
The thing is that I HATE digital effects and such. Won't the delay give me a more natural sound than a digital reverb ?
try looking for a malekko spring chicken. they're discontinued but every once in a while i see them pop up on ebay. or you can wait till spring and and get the chiklets which is supposed to be an updated version at a cheaper price
Quote by classicrocker01
You know you're addicted to gear when you've had more guitars than girlfriends

........that would be me
Quote by XJMLX
I'm trying to get the most organic sound possible.

What would you suggest me for a reverb pedal ?

I bet you my whole rig you couldnt tell the difference between an analog reverb and a digital reverb. Everyone just jumps on the 'Analog is teh betturs' bandwagon.
/rant.

TS, what is your budget? What amp are you using? What is the closest major city to you? Are you willing to buy used?
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Quote by Supersonic64
try looking for a malekko spring chicken. they're discontinued but every once in a while i see them pop up on ebay. or you can wait till spring and and get the chiklets which is supposed to be an updated version at a cheaper price

I'd like to buy in a week or so. Budget : $100-150... Maybe up to 200 all included if it's REALLY REALLY worth it.

I live in Quebec, Canada. Ebay, Steve music, Axemusic, Moog Audio.
Last edited by XJMLX at Dec 28, 2009,
try looking for a spring chicken then on ebay. its not analog but its probably one of the best reverb pedals ive heard. TS they dont make analog reverb pedals (atleast to my knowledge).
Quote by classicrocker01
You know you're addicted to gear when you've had more guitars than girlfriends

........that would be me
Quote by ethan_hanus
Just rig up a reverb tank to your amp, it'll sound better than digital, and will sound natural.

I'd imagine it's kinda hard to do that. Would involve:

- a reverb recovery circuit
- wiring the tank into the circuit somehow
- making adjustments to the circuit so the reverb is not crazy loud or long or whatever

Alot harder than it would seem, and not worth the effort, in my opinion.

Just get a Spring Chicken or the new Chicklet from Malekko if you just wanna emulate a spring reverb. If you want long, post-rock style reverb, get a Line 6 Verbzilla.

A Carbon Copy won't give you a reverb-like sound, because reverb's repeats are rather short, cascaded and fall into one another, whereas a delay's repeats are distinct.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
first question i had is "why doesnt his 'small tube amp' have decent if not good cleans?"

second - "have you A/B'd a reverb unit against a good (and i'm talking quality) reverb pedal?" surprisingly, you'll prefer the pedal. some units have a tendency to get all spongey and washy/muddy at certain levels, and certainly not in the good sort of way. pedals have a great way of controlling the effect even at longer "decay" rates. unless you want spongey mud that is.

third - malekko spring chicken is a great deal, along with their chicklet (i thought it was already up for sale?)
I have a cheap little Rockson analog delay. If i set the delay down pretty low and the repeat at about halfway then its great for reverb. So to answer your question, yes you can do it, and yes it can sound good. But you should also listen to the others and look into digital reverbs, depending on the brand they can sound just as good as an analog.
Gear:
Palmer 4-String Electric
Palmer 4-String Acoustic
Orange Terror Bass 500 head
Orange OBC115 cab
M-Audio KeyRig 49
you should also look at the Danelectro Spring King and the Boss FRV1 Fender '63 Reverb.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Oh yeah I'm ordering the T-REX from Tone Factor right now !

That's EXACTLY what I was looking for. Thanks y'all and happy birthday to me
The only way to get analog reverb is with a spring tank. Some of the digital reverbs do a really good job, and the only way you would get things like plate or reverse reverb.

You can use a delay to get decent reverb. But almost need to amps to do it and sound right. I run an old analog delay I have thru one of my amps. Set to mostly dry signal short delay with 2 repeats. Works best when the amps are father apart.
Stay AWAY from the Tonebug IT's a Bigtime Hisser!!! I've tried about every reverb I could and i Like the Verbzilla..........And trust me i didn't Want To.
Quote by XJMLX
The thing is that I HATE digital effects and such. Won't the delay give me a more natural sound than a digital reverb ?

No because you'll be using a delay to mimic a reverb. It can sound good but hardly "natural". With analogue reverbs you're limited to spring.

Sorry but your hate of digital effects is pretty irrational. Reverb is where digital comes in because you can actually properly model different sound spaces.
I have an Ibanez analog delay hooked up to my boogie stiletto ace for a reverb effect and it sounds fantastic. (in the loop)
Quote by XJMLX

Enjoy your digital reverb. It's a good pedal.
I've just ordered the Tonebug Reverb. I really dig the spring mode for some reason.

Thank you all again for your help.
Quote by XJMLX
I've just ordered the Tonebug Reverb. I really dig the spring mode for some reason.

Thank you all again for your help.

I hope they have the Hiss issue Fixed
Mine doesn't have any hiss at all. Maybe you had a defective one? Reverb isn't usually a noisy effect.
Quote by XJMLX

you might want to cancel that order. if is it is the tonebug, you can do much better. the hiss from the tonebug is horrible. i got it and am very disappointed. go for the holy grail plus.
Something is wrong if your tonebug is noisier than your holy grail. EHX pedals almost always have noise issues. Are you guys using a different power source or something?
I'm surprised no one suggested an EHX Holy Grail... I guess it's too late to suggest any more options though since TS already ordered the T-Rex Tone Bug. Holy Grail and Tone Bug sound pretty similar to me. And the Holy Grail is cheaper.

Quote by dullsilver_mike
The resonant frequency of the clitoris is too low for the guitar players to take care of.

Quote by jackers1234
you sir, have just won for this statement. =D

Young Knees
If yours doesn't Hiss then your Lucky it's a great sounding Reverb pedal..........I just Know from this and a couple other forums there are others that have had the same Hiss Issues I'd Like to get my hands on a EHX Cathedral.
Quote by Roc8995
Something is wrong if your tonebug is noisier than your holy grail. EHX pedals almost always have noise issues. Are you guys using a different power source or something?

the holy grail is noisy but the plus is a really nice pedal. i have tried my tonebug with batteries and adaptors and it hisses either way.
Quote by Jhachey22
I bet you my whole rig you couldnt tell the difference between an analog reverb and a digital reverb. Everyone just jumps on the 'Analog is teh betturs' bandwagon.
/rant.

I will take your bet, kind sir.

DON'T PANIC! DON'T PANIC!
THEY DON'T LIKE IT UP 'EM!
I've got an Electro Harmonix Holy Grail reverb and it's really great if you play lighter music, especially blues. Although it's pretty bad for metal )