I have a few questions, hope anyone can answer them.

First of all how long have you been playing before you went and made a song? I've been playing for a year now and I feel like i want to try and make something from myself, but the problem is I just can't get any idea or inspiration to make a song. When I play something I always keep thinking what if it already been made cause it sounds too simple (even tho i know nowadays nothing can be very original anymore).

Second is listening to alot of artist a bad thing? Cause i've been thinking maybe that's why I can't come up with something.(i know it maybe a dumb question but still.)

And last how do you get influenced by a band/musician. (another dumb question) Like for example I like Arctic Monkeys or RHCP, and I want to make something a little like those but I just don't know how to get an idea, must I learn alot of their songs or something?

I'm really at a wall right here.
I've been playing for 4-5 years and I haven't made a song yet. I have song ideas scattered in note books.. but never a complete one.

The way i'd get to sound like a certain band or artist is learn a lot of their songs, Learn their song writing patterns and every technique they use to play. Basically dissect their playing style. And, Listening to a lot of different artists isn't a bad thing at all. I wish I listened to more music, but i'm way too damn picky for my own good
Last edited by Nevermind1299 at Dec 28, 2009,
Quote by JoshOnLama
I have a few questions, hope anyone can answer them.

First of all how long have you been playing before you went and made a song? I've been playing for a year now and I feel like i want to try and make something from myself, but the problem is I just can't get any idea or inspiration to make a song. When I play something I always keep thinking what if it already been made cause it sounds too simple (even tho i know nowadays nothing can be very original anymore).

Second is listening to alot of artist a bad thing? Cause i've been thinking maybe that's why I can't come up with something.(i know it maybe a dumb question but still.)

And last how do you get influenced by a band/musician. (another dumb question) Like for example I like Arctic Monkeys or RHCP, and I want to make something a little like those but I just don't know how to get an idea, must I learn alot of their songs or something?

I'm really at a wall right here.

I don't know when I first wrote something. I always tried early on, and would get ideas, and I have no idea when the first time I even completed something was, or when I started on that. Timelines compared to others aren't really important.

Try writing stuff, its a good thing to do. If you don't like it, scrap it, but eventually you'll come to something you like if only a few notes, or two chords or whatever. When you get something you like, just work on it, and try and make it into something. Maybe you'll get something decent, and long, and maybe you won't. Either way you'll get some experience, and eventually you'll get better. There is no prerequisites to writing a song.

If you want to be influenced by something, try to play like them. However, I don't think you should really try to force influences. Lean songs from bands that you want to sound like, and that should subconsciously influence you.
I've decided to help ya out and give ya my opinion and advice...Been playing seriously about 3 years... And i have found....

When i actually started playing music... the first song someone showed me was Deep Purples smoke on the water and Weezer's Sweater song... Played those until i was blue in the face. After that, I was lucky enough to have a friend to jam and create songs with. So i never really learned cover songs, soo much as i "INVENTED" them. simple stuff like a riff and overlaying melody. usually punk stuff b/c thats easy to play but as you get better..your musical tastes Change and you become more complex...Much more Personal. like when im feeling..IDK what but im feeling IT and I just bust out into a riff...its those small moments of inspiration to me that really get me INTO the music.

"Second is listening to alot of artist a bad thing? Cause i've been thinking maybe that's why I can't come up with something.(i know it maybe a dumb question but still.)"

The more you listen...the more you TEND to sound like...the artist. At least i feel i have...but w/e im playing is usualy reflected on what im listenin to. Example if ive been listenin to alot of Punk...my riffs or the emotion i TRY to put forth is usually aggressive... Versus I've been listenin to alot of Jazz... my sound will be... much more busy and probably abstract. or R&B Motown/Stax....I sound like like Blues or James Jamerson.

"And last how do you get influenced by a band/musician. (another dumb question) Like for example I like Arctic Monkeys or RHCP, and I want to make something a little like those but I just don't know how to get an idea, must I learn alot of their songs or something?"
I didnt know reagge before...so i went and really really got into Sublime. and learning their songs which helped me grasp the style and attitude...as well and some on the lix to help me capture the scene.

Your influence come from everywere.... Life, other musicians, events, politics. Shit something you dont even realize Frank Zappa is an influence. and then it'll hit ya
White/Cream Faded 1966 Stratocaster
100 Watt All-Tube JVM410H
1960 Lead Cab-B
-------------------------------------------------
Last edited by CommBreakDown at Dec 30, 2009,