Hello all,

I've only been playing for about 9 months, and I recently took the initiative to upgrade my Squire Strat Affinity Series HSS. I originally just wanted to swap out my pickguard with a black one, and noticed that guitar fetish sells a wired one for only 35 bucks. It's a small step up to have all the knobs and pickup covers black so I am intrigued. I realize the pickups on these wired units are not top of the line, but all I want to know is if it will be a downgrade, or hopefully at least comparable to stock.

Here is a link to what I've been looking at: http://store.guitarfetish.com/prewihupiblo.html

Thanks in advance for your advice and input.
It's not worth the expense - you're basically paying $35 plus about $10 shipping for a side-grade.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Hmmm ok thanks. So I'll probably just get a pickguard and knobs/covers.

I can only seem to find pickup cover kits for the SSS though. If get an extra single pup cover will that be good for the humbucker (2x single covers)?
No. My advice is to just make a new one out of some GFS pickups.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
What are your thoughts on the Fat Pat Boutiques?

http://store.guitarfetish.com/alfatpafbohu.html

Seems like it would be a tiny upgrade, but they are el cheapo so who cares!

I haven't looked into replacing pickups yet - is it quite difficult? I can solder if I have to, but a nice picture tutorial would be great if you happen to know of one.

Yeah search is my friend, I know :P

Edit: I play mostly metal. Nothing too furious. I like playing Electric Wizard and the like. EW on a Strat you say?!?! :P
Last edited by Concat at Dec 29, 2009,
Guitarfetish's stuff is actually great value. I have a Lil killer in my tele and its the best $30 I have ever spent. Im sure there will be some dud products, but if you research before you buy, you should be good. Jay, the guy that runs gfs, he's over at harmony central, is a really nice guy, if you get a bad one, hell be glad to help.

Man that was a run on sentence.

And, replacing pups is as easy as seymourduncan.com, find the schematics page, and print. Then of course wire. haha.

HSS black on black wired one

Heres a black on black one if you dont want to deal with wiring. But trust me, you ll want to replace all of your pups, most squier pups are total crap. <--- From expierence.

GFS should hire me. Im on that website all goddamn day.

Fender Telecaster w/ GFS Lil' Killer
Jet City Pico Valve

Quote by Chaos-Serenade

The fretboard is dry because it is more than likely made in China.

I wonder how he came to this conclusion.
Lyrics
Inside the back
Walk with me
Reign, Rain

Call me Drew
Haha, thats the one I was originally asking about, and both replies basically told me that the pups would be the same as what I already have. My current pups really aren't up to snuff when it comes to metal. They are ok, great in fact, for a beginner like me, but I've been bitten by the bug and want to make a beefier strat. It's ok though, cause I've already ordered a pickguard.

I will upgrade the pups separately. I'm considering the Hellabucker at the moment. Any comments on what single pups would go well with that humbucker? Or the rails (power or crunch?) on GF.com for that matter?

The consensus seems to be that GF.com has no middleman, and you're not paying for a name, so generally speaking their stuff is good bang for your buck. Just sooo many options to consider :P
I have the lil killers, so I know that those are really great, but as far as singles go I have no idea from gfs. The power rails from there look like they would be real cool. If I ever buy another pup from there it will be the black one.

Oh, and about the guitarheads.net or whatever, I just don't trust it. Im sure its all secure and trustworthy but the website just seems cheap and the parts are little more expensive.

Fender Telecaster w/ GFS Lil' Killer
Jet City Pico Valve

Quote by Chaos-Serenade

The fretboard is dry because it is more than likely made in China.

I wonder how he came to this conclusion.
Lyrics
Inside the back
Walk with me
Reign, Rain

Call me Drew
The prewired pickguards are not GFS PUPs, and I think the general opinion of them is that they are not as good.

I put a GFS Protube PUP in one of my guitars, as well as new pots and switch. They shipped fast and came with pictorial installation instructions.