Not you..... it's me. I need a new amp! But unfortunately I need some advice...
I have never bought a bass amp, but I played through a Behringer at school, and it's just not for me... I'm currently playing through two Peavy's at school, and I must say they sound pretty awesome.. Unfortunately, they're old, and dying, and plus the freaking school won't sell em to me.... (America and their rules... -.-)

I have a Marshall MG-50 guitar amp at home, which I use(and no i really don't care that it's a bass thru a guitar amp... i usually don't even go past 5, so i dont really care). So, for my amp's sake, I've been thinking about getting myself a bass amp!! The problem is I don't know what I should get, or if I should sell my Marshall and put that money towards a bass amp.. I'm also thinking about getting a nice effects board(not too expensive of course). The effects aren't a priority though, I can wait to get them later.

So what do you more experienced(or less?) players think? What amp should I buy?(links would be nice if you can) Should I sell my Marshall? If so, could I get a decent amp and maybe an effects board?

I'm trying to get an amp for under $700, $800 (U.S.D.) if possible, and both the amp and effects for under $1000 bucks, if possible.

Thanks in advance for any help you guys provide.
I don't know much about this, but I'm going to go ahead and mention that you should talk about what bass you have and what styles you like to play.

but for 700 damn, you could get something real nice. Ampeg makes sweet stuff, something used from them might fall in your range, But I think you could get by with a fender rumble, especially if you're not playing in a band... which I think you implied. and a rumble could totally keep up with drums, I'd recommend that. But I'm no bassist.

Also, effects aren't really that important man, you've budgeted 2-300 dollars for it and idk what you wanna buy but you should be fine with the amp's distortion (I think the rumbles have distortion but idk) and idk what else bassists really need. and the distortion is debatable.

In short, good news: you probably won't be spending nearly that much... unless I'm wrong... which I maybe
Quote by Strato-Massacre
yeah you shouldnt have told the pit to rape your mom.

Quote by Kensai
It's not sexist, girls are just too stupid and weak to hold up doors and stuff for themselves.
Quote by Lt.DanHasLegs
I don't know much about this, but I'm going to go ahead and mention that you should talk about what bass you have and what styles you like to play.

but for 700 damn, you could get something real nice. Ampeg makes sweet stuff, something used from them might fall in your range, But I think you could get by with a fender rumble, especially if you're not playing in a band... which I think you implied. and a rumble could totally keep up with drums, I'd recommend that. But I'm no bassist.

Also, effects aren't really that important man, you've budgeted 2-300 dollars for it and idk what you wanna buy but you should be fine with the amp's distortion (I think the rumbles have distortion but idk) and idk what else bassists really need. and the distortion is debatable.

In short, good news: you probably won't be spending nearly that much... unless I'm wrong... which I maybe

Per part.

Yes we do need to know that.

700 is a decent amount to get you a very high end combo or a low to medium quality head and cab. BTW if you've got the cash steer clear of rumbles otherwise they are decent practice amps

Effects aren't that important but that budget allows you a few pedals. Most amps don't have distortion so if you want that you'll need a pedal. So that'll run you between 100-200. I recommend you a compressor pedal, you'd be surprised by just how much they help and they'll run between 100-300. And finally if you got cash get a wah just to play around with.

and in short...he was wrong
For $700-800, especially if you're willing to buy used, you can get a LOT of good stuff, and even shopping new you can do pretty well for a good bit less.

So...What style(s)? What kind of sound are you going for? Playing with a band or no? If so, are you going to be mic'ed most/all of the time?

As far as effects: Style would be very helpful too. I'm going to go ahead and recommend the SansAmp VT (http://www.guitarcenter.com/Tech-21-Tech-21-VT-Bass-SansAmp-Character-Series-Bass-Pedal-459557-i1429673.gc), it's got a good sound, versatile, relatively inexpensive for what you're getting...I'm severely GASing for one. (Here's a demo, if you're interested: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_be9GSlt_eQ)
For your price of $799 you can check out
Gallien-Krueger Backline 600/Goldline 4x10 Stack at music123.com, the quality seems to be there as does the good reviews....I have all ampeg for the same $ you could get a b2re head and the classic 15"......I believe in buying new, just like a car......
I would look at Peavey and Ampeg maybe some Gallien-Kruger gear.
Quote by JagerSlushy

Black people play bass.
Quote by isabiggles
Nevermind, that's a stupid pun for Australian pyromaniacs.
Just forget I said anything.

Quote by mac_attack
THE PURE SEXUAL THRILL!!!!
And stuff...

^^^
On playing bass.
Gear:
ESP B-206SM
Behringer BRX1800H
Acoustic B115
Asher Custom 2x10
Quote by ScottSVT4

Gallien-Krueger Backline 600/Goldline 4x10 Stack at music123.com

I think you can do a lot better for under $800.
I have heard VERY GOOD reviews on the GK BL600, so think about that.
But haven't heard very good reviews on the Goldline Cabs.

So think about
Head
http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/GallienKrueger-Backline-600-Bass-Head?sku=482534
or
http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Tour-450-Bass-Head-?sku=480314
through 4ohm version of

http://www.avatarspeakers.com/b212.htm (only 56 pounds)
Ummm probably a combo, but something that'll make me stand out. I'm the type of bassist that likes to be heard and likes to play on the higher frets with distortion and wah... so yeah..
I have a Schecter Hellraiser-5(5 string) and a Hohner MX-1 Series 4 string. I play pretty much everything except like ****, rap, pop and all the hardcore metals or whatever that bullshit is.

For the 1st guy, I'd like at least a wah pedal and distortion if it doesnt come with the amp, and loops would be nice too, and all that stuff. I like versatility! haha

Okay, so just a quick question... would it be better to get a nice cab for like 500-800 bucks, then save up for a nice head, and then when i get the head, sell my marshall, and buy an effects pedal??
you might be able to pick up a 2nd hand Peavey combo on Craigslist possibly thats an option and would serve you well if you like the Peavey's.Also have a look at some Laney's they are well built and sound good for their price as is most laney stuff imo.
Guitar Gear
Guitar: Ibanez GRG140 (black)
Amp:Peavey Vypyr 75

Bass Gear
Bass: Fender P-bass MIM,Peavey Millenium 5 BXP (x2),Epiphone Thunderbird
Amp:Ampeg PF500 w PF210 cab
Pedals: ODB-3,Big Muff.
hmm okay, thanks. I'll check it out. Do you, by any chance, know if they have the Laney's at GC or Music Go Round?
Distortion: IMO, a good overdrive would be the SansAmp I linked to...Or, if you want something more dirty/ugly, a Big Muff (I like the USSR on a 4-string, but with a 5er you'd probably want the one specifically for bass). Wah, I just use a guitar wah, but you might want this: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Dunlop-Crybaby-105Q-Bass-Wah-Pedal-100465851-i1124428.gc. A compressor would be a good idea too, but I don't have any specific recommendations. Most decent guitar chorus/flanger/phaser/similar pedals will work with bass, just try a bunch of stuff until you find the sound you want.

I'm not a real amp expert, so I'll mostly defer to the people who are, but I'll throw this out there: Acoustic amps don't have stellar tone, but they're really cheap and really transparent, plus they have an effects loop, so if you do want to play something that's very effects-driven that might be worth looking into.
what do you mean by acoustic amps??
sorry i really dont know much about amps, just that they make me louder... well i know more, but yeah..

EDIT: Yeah, that Wah looks good, and good reviews, but I was thinking more like....
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Boss-Boss-GT-10B-Bass-Multi-Effects-Pedal-104818034-i1389440.gc

Money isn't really a problem, as I don't have to get this NOW, I'm just planning for the rest of the year
Last edited by hellbasser at Dec 29, 2009,
It's an amp brand. These: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Acoustic1,Bass.gc. Like I said, the tone isn't brilliant, and you may want to look at something that has a better inherent tone, but if you're wanting to get a lot of your tone from a distortion/wah these will take it well. To my ears, at any rate.

EDIT: My experience with Boss has been less than good, but I haven't extensively played around with any of their multi-effects, so I can't say one way or the other about that...But definitely try it, and not just a bit, before considering buying it. This goes for anything.
Last edited by TheBadPlace at Dec 29, 2009,
hmm so would something like this be good then?? http://www.guitarcenter.com/Acoustic-B200H-and-B410-Stack-880988-i1461063.gc

Also, would an Ampeg be a good amp for both effects and like that clean, rich, low bass sound?? Or is an amp like that impossible to find?

Hmm.. most of the reviews are pretty good. But yes, of course I'll try it out extensively, same with the amp too, I'm not just gonna play for 5 minutes and buy it. I like jamming in Guitar Center... hehe
Generally, high-end Ampegs would be great for that, low-end not quite so much. I haven't tried enough to really tell you what exactly to look for.
Haha allrite, well I guess I should just go to a bunch of music stores and try out their amps..
Thanks for the help though!!! That Acoustic kinda interested me, so I'll ask the guy's at GC if they have it.
Thanks for the help man, I really appreciate it!
Sorry I missed out on the majority of your search but like BadPlace said, Acoustic amps are really "clear" as far as tone goes, but since you've got a Hellraiser you're bass should have enough tone in itself that your amp would simply serve as a thing to make you loud rather than that plus color your tone.

Anyway if you really want to be heard and have a little color I recommend this set up for the cab and this for the head With this set up you'll actually be underpowering that cab a little bit (I checked on Peavey's website the head puts out 300watts at 8 ohms) but later if you want to add a 15 with that then you'll have that extra power to do it on a 4 ohm load.

That setup would work good with your effects have a good solid, deep clean tone. My .02
Actually i gigged with a fender rumble yesterday and it did the job well, i had it D.I ed though. And it acted a good moniter and close to the stage amp. Luckily the PA also consisted of 2 2x15's and 2 2x18's so i had plenty of bass FOH. If cant be di.ed i recommend a good ashdown mag combo a 2x10 one and a 1x15 underneath it. Also look out for some trace elliot combo's which are very nice.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by thunderbritches
Sorry I missed out on the majority of your search but like BadPlace said, Acoustic amps are really "clear" as far as tone goes, but since you've got a Hellraiser you're bass should have enough tone in itself that your amp would simply serve as a thing to make you loud rather than that plus color your tone.

Anyway if you really want to be heard and have a little color I recommend this set up for the cab and this for the head With this set up you'll actually be underpowering that cab a little bit (I checked on Peavey's website the head puts out 300watts at 8 ohms) but later if you want to add a 15 with that then you'll have that extra power to do it on a 4 ohm load.

That setup would work good with your effects have a good solid, deep clean tone. My .02

hmm looks good, but is a little on the expensive side, so i'd have to star saving of course
I'll try to try out as many of these amps as i can before i buy them though.
Quote by hellbasser
hmm looks good, but is a little on the expensive side, so i'd have to star saving of course
I'll try to try out as many of these amps as i can before i buy them though.

It is a little expensive but don't forget to check for used on eBay or Craigslist. I picked up my cab (the same one I recommended for you) for $300 dollars on eBay and it was practically brand new.

Something to keep in mind no matter what set up you decide on
Hmmm eBay, huh? I haven't thought about that! That sounds good. I wrote down the names of the cab and head, so I'll look them up on eBay or Craigslist when i get the money. Which might not be very soon :P

Oh, and someone also said that my hellraiser has a good enough tone on its own, so the amp would pretty much just be for effects and, well, amplifying my sound. So this cab and head would be good for that, right?
Yes your Hellraiser will have a good tone on a "clear" amp, but if you have a better amp your tone can be even better. And what I recommended, yes it would be good for of course amplifying your sound. Almost any amp will be good when using effects like distortion or wah, but to really test your amp with effects you need stuff like compressors or other similar effects. I don't know if that helps but thats what I've got on the subject...
yeah, yeah that helps a lot man, so I guess I should just try out the stuff before I buy anything..
Hell, I might even change my mind :P