Poll: Which is the better option?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which is the better option?
English/Literature Teacher
6 26%
Professional Chef
17 74%
Voters: 23.
So Pit, I'm approaching college application time and there are 2 paths i want to take that I need your opinion on.

Path 1 Teaching: I love literature and the English department as a whole and want to go to college to become a literature/English teacher with a minor in music theory. The bad part is unless your a professor or teach at a private school your going to get paid jack shit, and the demand for that job is hit an miss. Yet you get 3 months off every year.

Path 2 Cooking: Being Italian I was basically raised in the kitchen and have always loved to cook and try new food combination's while cooking, plus I love eating. There is a Le Cordon Bleu cooking school very close to me and is looking pretty promising. Bad part is professional chefs are on they're feet all day above hot stoves working constantly during they're shifts if they even have shifts. But they get paid $40,000-70,000/year and their job demand is usually constantly high
My obligatory gear list

Guitars
Schecter C-1 Classic
Gibson SG Special
1987 Fender Strat
Epiphone PR-150

Amp and Effects
Peavey Valveking 112
Boss DD-6
Crybaby Wah-wah
Ibanez TS-9DX
Banshee 2 Talkbox

Crit plz! Wh ore of Gommorah
well up to you, cant go into something you dont enjoy or love or youll be bored, think more and broaden the choices my friend trust me
Butcher
teach how to read cookbooks (just kidding)! or just be a chef cause like u said teachers dont get paid jack shit but they sit down unlike a chef...if u look at it teaching requires the same effort as cooking you have to love it. i would go for cooking if i were u tho
Kids are assholes.
Food is wonderful.

The choice is yours.
Begin again in the night, let's sway again tonight.
Your arm on my shoulder, your cheek against mine.
Where can we go, when will we find that, we know.
if your a chef.. you could get on food network, then kick Rachel Ray's ass for me!
Just Sooo Jaded!

Quote by drunknpunk204
Why cant Helen Keller drive?
cause shes a woman
Being a chef means you work in a restaurant which means you work late nights. Which means it can be hard to have a family, if that's your plan. Something to consider. It deterred my sister from that and now she's becoming a pastry chef instead.
Quote by angus is god
So Pit, I'm approaching college application time and there are 2 paths i want to take that I need your opinion on.

Path 1 Teaching: I love literature and the English department as a whole and want to go to college to become a literature/English teacher with a minor in music theory. The bad part is unless your a professor or teach at a private school your going to get paid jack shit, and the demand for that job is hit an miss. Yet you get 3 months off every year.

Path 2 Cooking: Being Italian I was basically raised in the kitchen and have always loved to cook and try new food combination's while cooking, plus I love eating. There is a Le Cordon Bleu cooking school very close to me and is looking pretty promising. Bad part is professional chefs are on they're feet all day above hot stoves working constantly during they're shifts if they even have shifts. But they get paid $40,000-70,000/year and their job demand is usually constantly high

Should be "their", go for the cooking. Plus, eating is ALWAYS a plus. My Dad always says that the best part about cooking is trying the food before everyone else.

Listen to my covers here.

"Some even claim that I'm a terror, a dictator and they're right." - Lou Reed

AK-ROWDY
Quote by sadSTATUE
Kids are assholes.
People who pay for food are assholes.

The choice is yours.

Fixed.
Quote by LPDave
and my mom then told me to masturbate more.

Quote by Toastbot

Big burly men grunting without shirts on pretty much summed up my childhood.

Quote by The Leader
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do more look like?
Quote by shut_up_n00b
Fixed.

Aha, touché.
Begin again in the night, let's sway again tonight.
Your arm on my shoulder, your cheek against mine.
Where can we go, when will we find that, we know.
Be a chef, fool!

Make me a sammich
"Breasts the size of watermelons" is what Moses said to the Egyptians
Public school teachers get paid a fair bit more than private school teachers in an extremely vast majority of cases--just something to note based on what you said earlier. Whether or not teaching is a good career all depends on the school district you end up in. Anyone can love teaching kids, and English is one of the fields that is always hiring teachers, so there's plenty of job security. The problem is dealing with the bureaucracy and politics of public school systems. I live in a town right now where I know exactly 0 happy teachers, the faculty turn over rates in the schools is absolutely insane and I've watched talented educators turn into cynical, apathetic people.

By all means, study English literature if that's what you love; I did it. Just be aware that, in the US these days, secondary education can be an absolutely terrible career for people with a lot of passion and ambition. Unless you're diligent enough to discover a good district, it's one of the most toxic work atmospheres I can imagine.

edit* and let me amend this a bit to hit two more of your points.
The pay for an English teacher who has a masters and a few years experience is actually going to be pretty decent for 9 months(ignoring the fact you work 80 hours a week your first few years and at least 60 after that). Most educators can knock out their masters within 5 years while working full time. Go check out the pay scale for your state, you'll be above 40k a year in no time.

Also, you will be able to find a job in any US state as an English teacher, you might not get to teach at a decent school district, but you will definitely be able to find a job, so don't let that be a worry.
Last edited by dullsilver_mike at Dec 29, 2009,
Your leaving your career choice in the hands of The Pit?.... cool. Enjoy your life as a homeless anal rapist.
Teachers get paid shit and so do chef that are starting out. Do some research before you go into cooking, dont think your going to be on Food network right out of school.