Ok I've been writing songs for about a year now and I've been told I'm a good songwriter but I don't feel like I'm writing at my best...
So my question for you is how do I put imagery into my lyrics, kind of like kurt cobain, and chris cornell do any help is appreciated.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
You're best bet is to put it in the way Kurt Cobain or Chris Cornell does...

But in all seriousness, it's just something you have to experiment with and see what fits you best. You can imitate, too.
I think of Iron Maiden and Judas Priest for imagery in lyrics.

But seriously though, if your trying to literally put a movie in someone's head through lyrics, it takes practice.

Listen to Dance of Death by Maiden, perfect example, you can SEE everything that ****ing goes on in the song.

Maybe there's the fact that you MIGHT not be good at those types of lyrics, imagery I mean.

Pin point what your good at lyrically and progress it, perfect it. Be careful stepping into different styles.
Fire it up, let the engines roll!
It's time to burn it down!
Keep bleeding on till the day you die!
Forever love it loud, yeah!
Read a lot. Not like song lyrics, but books. A lot of the previously mentioned Maiden lyrics come from classic and classical literature.

Also, don't be afraid to lift some imagery from people you like, provided you switch it up. My favourite line I wrote comes right out of the Tom Waits playbook:

Through nicotive haze
And bourbon tinted glasses
This torch that I carried
Is turning to ashes.
Quote by Bazookajoe_666
I think of Iron Maiden and Judas Priest for imagery in lyrics.

But seriously though, if your trying to literally put a movie in someone's head through lyrics, it takes practice.

Listen to Dance of Death by Maiden, perfect example, you can SEE everything that ****ing goes on in the song.

Maybe there's the fact that you MIGHT not be good at those types of lyrics, imagery I mean.

Pin point what your good at lyrically and progress it, perfect it. Be careful stepping into different styles.

Wow I was thinking the same thing! Dance of Death actually inspired me to write my first lyrics. You literally feel like the events happened to you when that song is on.
Quote by sadSTATUE
Uhmmm... Well, apparently I was mentioned in a thread called "Japan and Lesbians."

Quote by Unknown_Biskit
Try typing "potatoes" with your dick then submit it.

My cover of Manchester Orchestra's "I Can Feel Your Pain"
http://www.mediafire.com/?jfvt54j4mkiiq99
Well, not to state the obvious, but start by focusing on a handful of images.

Build your song around images you pick out ahead of time instead of starting with a story or a message. Once you have a few images, think of the language you can use that reinforces these images--maybe you need synonyms maybe you need descriptive details(ok, not maybe-you will need both).

You can play image association with these first images to drum up more. If I'm writing a song about pulsars, for example, I'll be describing red and blue shift, fields of radio telescopes, clockwork, maybe even pulsing blood or heart beats, etc.

Conversely you can think of contrasting images you can use to juxtapose with your first images: city/country, water/desert, etc.

If you do well enough creating these images and then reinforcing them with supportive language and images, you'll find that the story and message of the song just pops up on its own where you thought there were only images.

last note--when you're beginning, the more specific the better: granite is better than rock, elm is better than tree and so on. This can lead you down a nasty road to sounding like you came out of the Iowa writer's workshop, but you'll be able to rein it in and use more generic imagery later as you hone the skill.
Last edited by dullsilver_mike at Dec 29, 2009,
Ok ill try reading some stuff in the style you mentioned but I read that some of you want to read some of my lyrics, so I'm noÞ gonna type in complete songs cause thatll take to long. So ill just put in a couple things of mine that haven't made it into a song yet.

1) Gods got no name
In this game
Tell me to trust
Nothing but lust

2) Better give it all away
Yeah
Don't care what you say
Gonna let it,
Let it all go away

That's all I'm putting in for now let me know how I can improve them and also you might still be able to find the two songs I put up when I first started writing.
They're called "zero" and "ciggarettes aren't that addicting". Please don't comment on them there cause they're kind of old so tell me what you think here, also the two fragments I put up here are more rescent.
Thanks every one
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
Atmosphere helps as well. Its kind of hard to tell what is going on without the music, no matter how good the lyrics are.
Fire it up, let the engines roll!
It's time to burn it down!
Keep bleeding on till the day you die!
Forever love it loud, yeah!
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13

1) Gods got no name
In this game
Tell me to trust
Nothing but lust

2) Better give it all away
Yeah
Don't care what you say
Gonna let it,
Let it all go away

Let's begin with this excercise: look at the stuff above and give me one concrete image out of it.... nothing, no physical objects that can appear in a person's mind. God, is the biggest specific noun you provide, and you picked one that is as vague and abstract as possible. I'm not slamming your work here, I'm pointing out how you need to rethink this. Begin with some nouns that represent specific physical objects. Start trimming some of those pronouns out--no need for an "it" unless you already clearly stated what "it" is multiple times. And you can tighten things up by qualifying your other vague nouns: "this game"--well add an adjective in there, tell us what kind of game it is. Trust and lust are abstract concepts, what kind if images can you think up that depict these in a concrete way.

Hope that's helpful.
Quote by jean_genie

Through nicotive haze
And bourbon tinted glasses
This torch that I carried
Is turning to ashes.

Just like to say that that's a really good lyric.

I hate you a little bit now.