I thought i was sure on getting a Fender MIM HSS strat and probably end up making the bridge pup "coil splittable" and maybe changing the bridge to a Duncan JB and the neck to a Duncan SSL3

But then I saw this Ibanes SA260FM. It has the HSS pickup setup, is already coil split, is at a good price, has 22 frets (which i prefer), and has great reviews. If I get the Ibanez i would probably change the pickups to the same as the Ibanez (but maybe not if they are good)

So which should i go with... the Fender or the Ibanez?

If any of you have played any of them please say so and please tell why you recommend the one you recommended.

Thanks

EDIT: And i play mainly hard rock/metal but also play many other styles so versatility is important
Last edited by bobthebum16 at Dec 29, 2009,
If your main style is metal/hard rock, but still want versatility i would go with the ibanez my friend.
R.I.P foREVer
You need to try both of them. I thought I would've liked an Ibanez over Fender, then I played a Fender MIM and sold my Ibanez for it. Later bought a better Fender and never looked back.

The neck profiles are different, so you need to figure out which fits your hand better, then of course choose the best sounding one, then customize pickups from there.
Fender man here. No competition as far as I'm concerned but I do really like the Strat sound. I've owned a couple Fender Mexican Standards and they've all been good instruments. I wouldn't be in a hurry to change the pickups either. Play them for a while and only change them if you don't like the tone. Never had a Standard with a humbucker but the stock ceramic single coils sound damn good. In fact, I've been playing a MIM Standard Strat all afternoon.
I've played a couple of SA guitars. They've all been fine instruments. If you like it better than the MIM Strat then go ahead and pick it up. There isn't really any clear 'better' or 'worse' when it comes to most guitars. Just get whatever feels and sounds right to you.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
I've got an SA260, great guitar for the price and can absolutely compete with the MIM strat. But as others have mentioned, you should try both guitars and see what's best for you.
SA260FM owner here. Love it to bits and definately reccomened you try it if you haven't already. But as everyone else has said, try both.

The main difference between the two that I can see is the Ibanez has a floating bridge, while the Strat will obviously have a Strat bridge.
"Music snobbery is the worst kind of snobbery. 'Oh, you like those noises? Those sounds in your ear? Do you like them? They're the wrong sounds. You should like these sounds in your ear.'"
- Dara O'Briain
As far as i can remember the Ibanez is mahogany and the fender is alder, alder is generally brighter, whilst mahogany is warmer sounding, your going to get a big difference in tone between the two so you really do need to try both out.
My Gear

Ibanez J Custom RG8570Z-BX - BKP Warpigs
ESP Eclipse II Full Thickness - BKP Nailbombs
Fender Mexican Strat - BKP Trilogy Suites.

Axe FX II - Matrix GT1000FX - Rocktron All Access.

Stinnett M7 in the works
Quote by ch0
I've played a couple of SA guitars. They've all been fine instruments. If you like it better than the MIM Strat then go ahead and pick it up. There isn't really any clear 'better' or 'worse' when it comes to most guitars. Just get whatever feels and sounds right to you.

+1

Always try both guitars first and see which one better suits you.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO