floyd rose tremlos (not licensed) have a pair of patent numbers on the back of the bridge...any way to use them to identify models ect? how many different types of the german made are out there? do they break down beyond the originals, II's, low pros, and speedloaders?
The patent numbers are actually for the 'mechanics' of the bridge, instead of the bridge itself.

What are the numbers on yours?

Also, the II's and low pros are actually Ibanez tremolo's, not Floyd Rose.

You can find a list of proper Floyd Roses on their website: http://www.floydrose.com/bridges.html
Quote by guitarcam123
Also, the II's and low pros are actually Ibanez tremolo's, not Floyd Rose.

Not necessarily. The Floyd Rose II is a cheaper Floyd, and the Floyd Pro is a low profile Floyd.
yeah i think all the ibanez produces are the "edge" tremlos...i have an edge 2, its alright i guess...the floyd i have no is a licensed pos im looking to upgrade, i saw this one on the net at a price that cant be beat and thought this is probably to good to be true.

US PAT 4171661
US PAT 4497?36

the ? is either a 7 or 2,...not sure bad photo
Patent numbers wont tell you what trem it is. They just tell you what patents the trem is licensed under. Dont risk it with LFR's on the net, just get the Original. Most licensed Floyds are made of cheap metal in China, and you have no idea of the quality of it. OFR's are made in Germany by Schaller.
Quote by littlephil
Not necessarily. The Floyd Rose II is a cheaper Floyd, and the Floyd Pro is a low profile Floyd.

I forgot about the FR II, I was thinking he was talking about the edge II and for the low pro I was assuming he meant the bridge called 'low pro' not the actual low pro FR.

TS, wheres the FR your thinking of buying?
well what is this one?
Last edited by Duncanbullet at Jan 2, 2010,
Just a standard Licensed Single Locking Floyd Rose.

Is there an ebay listing that goes with it? It should help to find out whether its a good or bad lic FR.
so i wont need to buy the nut?
Last edited by Duncanbullet at Jan 2, 2010,
the licensed will say licensed under floyd rose, like the link duncan bullet posted...but if it just says floyd rose on it...not licensed...and it says it on the side opposite the whammy bar, not along the bottom, i thinks its real...
Quote by Duncanbullet
so i wont need to buy the nut?

Yes you will. No nut in pic = no nut. A single locking trem locks the strings down at the bridge only, a double locking trem locks them down at the nut and the bridge. A single-locking trem is probably one of the stupidest ideas ever. Supposedly allows you to change tunings easier. Unfortunately, it makes keeping your guitar in those tunings almost impossible. Buy a real floyd with a real locking nut, not the licensed cheap one. There's a guy on youtube called DMOmetalguitar with some good info on floyds.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
Quote by FrustratedRocka
Yes you will. No nut in pic = no nut. A single locking trem locks the strings down at the bridge only, a double locking trem locks them down at the nut and the bridge. A single-locking trem is probably one of the stupidest ideas ever. Supposedly allows you to change tunings easier. Unfortunately, it makes keeping your guitar in those tunings almost impossible. Buy a real floyd with a real locking nut, not the licensed cheap one. There's a guy on youtube called DMOmetalguitar with some good info on floyds.

No, single locking floyd roses only lock at the nut, look at the two different bridges in the the ultimate floyd rose thread.