I'm having some trouble with my acoustic's action.
I have an Ibanez EW20AS.
I have just taken off the strings and was ready to re-string, and my nut just fell off.. I glued it back on, no problems, but that's not why I'm posting (This was just random, it'd never fallen off before)
So, I took off every single string before I was ready to re-string because I was going to adjust the bridge, as the action was far too high on it. On inspection of the bridge.. it looks like I cannot raise or lower it.. Which seems odd to me. I've tried pulling and pushing on the bar, and it doesn't budge. I'm wondering if there's no way I can adjust the action by the bridge on this acoustic?
I have yet to re-string it, I wanted to come here first and see if I could find some advice or help.
I dont think you are supposed to change the action on most acoustics. You could, if it isnt glued down, pull out the bridge (just the beige piece) and shave down its height with some sandpaper or something.
Quote by Thean4rchist
I dont think you are supposed to change the action on most acoustics. You could, if it isnt glued down, pull out the bridge (just the beige piece) and shave down its height with some sandpaper or something.

If worst comes to worst I could possibly do that.
The strings passed the 10th fret were just ridiculously high, like almost an inch off the fretboard. That's why I really want to have it closer O.O
you could try lower gauge strings but maybe you need a like a truss rod adjustment or something because an inch is alot of room and you could also try shaving down the nut alittle but i suggest that you get someone alse to do it
Quote by supersac
you could try lower gauge strings but maybe you need a like a truss rod adjustment or something because an inch is alot of room and you could also try shaving down the nut alittle but i suggest that you get someone alse to do it

As of right now I use 13 gauge Elixir nanowebs..
Should I try for a lower gauge?
And yeah I know, the action is just horrid on it and it makes it extremely difficult to play.
you shouldn't glue your nut in - max of one drop, so you can get it off whenever you want.

you're not supposed to remove your bridge to adjust your action - you're supposed to remove and adjust only the saddle. btw, supersac is mistaken. you do not use the truss rod to change anything but the neck relief - your nut and saddle are where you adjust your action. if there's nothing left on your saddle, and your action is that high, it may be time for a neck reset or your guitar may need repair. or you may indeed need to adjust your neck relief.

lighter strings will make the guitar easier to play. are you sure the guitar is made to take 13s?
Last edited by patticake at Dec 29, 2009,
Update on the acoustic:
I just went ahead and re-strung it, and the action was A LOT better this time.. I'm not sure why there's such a massive difference, but anyways, it's higher then most acoustics, but it's so much better then it was before. It plays so much easier now as well.
Quote by TheAbsentOne
I glued it back on

Oh dear. Let's hope you don't need to make any more adjustments.
First off, never glue your saddle in. The saddle height can be adjusted by sanding the bottom. The height of the nut can also be adjusted with a set of nut files.

Take it to a luthier and have them do a set up on it. Will cost $40 or so. It is well worth the money. If it's hard to play it's no fun.