Page 1 of 2
So do you like live music or studio recorded music from your favorite bands? Or how about live sessions recorded in a studio without an audience?

I like both. However I think first loves for songs would be studio tracks as that is the "first" version you're likely to hear. Then live tracks would depend on recording quality and how well the overall concert went (whether or not they were on top of their game).

Or if its a local band do you have to have live since they don't have enough to put together a studio album?
I would like to listen to the studio album first, then go to a live show. I wouldn't purchase a live cd though.
Depends on my mood.
When you saw me sleeping
thought I was dreaming
of you...

I didn't tell you
That the only dream
Is Valium for me
Quote by TheReverend724
That depends

Mostly studio ones, although The Mark, Tom, and Travis Show is my favorite blink-182 cd

I've never seen them, but they are funny live.
I like polished studio stuff personally. I prefer the technicality and accuracy over energy and that 'live' sound.

Edit: By reading the FAQ, genius
V
Check out my band Disturbed
Last edited by StewieSwan at Dec 29, 2009,
loves how the new guys just got ignored hahaha
Ill Take it all
Arrows and Guns.. Hundreds and more

Save you from one
i was going to say it depends on the genre. but really, live music owns all whether it be jazz, rock, punk, bluegrass, classical, etc.
#DTWD
Quote by wesselbindt
1: There's a chance the band ****s up.
2: There's the annoying audience screaming.
3: I don't know thrice. So no. I haven't.

so?

It's FUN

and...

Wow... I misread the thread

Live music >>> recordings

I thought it said live recordings
Quote by wesselbindt
Studio, as the audience at live shows usually scream. Live music sucks balls.

and? they're out enjoying themselves and showing appreciation to the musicians there. when you finish playing a song and you hear the audience roaring, it's an amazing feeling. as it is for the audience too.

music was meant to be played and heard live. recordings are just a convenience for listening to said music when shows are not possible.

the feeling i get when the kick and the bass sync up and make my chest vibrate. that's the feeling i live for. there's nothing in recorded music that can ever replace that.
#DTWD
Quote by primusfan
and? they're out enjoying themselves and showing appreciation to the musicians there. when you finish playing a song and you hear the audience roaring, it's an amazing feeling. as it is for the audience too.

music was meant to be played and heard live. recordings are just a convenience for listening to said music when shows are not possible.

the feeling i get when the kick and the bass sync up and make my chest vibrate. that's the feeling i live for. there's nothing in recorded music that can ever replace that.

yeah, those were the three worst "not going to shows" argument I've ever heard
I usually prefer the studio version, but if I wouldn't want to listen to a live recording (i.e., the band can ONLY sound good with unlimited takes and a crapload of production), I usually don't like the band very much. I mean, I can't think of a single live recording that sounds "better" as in cleaner, crisper, more refined, than the studio version, but for me they have to be able to pull off something close to as good. (I could probably phrase that better, but I hope it's clear enough.)

Possible exception: I really like that Metallica allows you to get the specific show you saw, I wish more bands had something like that; to me, the special-ness of reliving the night makes up for the technical flaws.

EDIT: Experiencing live music > all, though.
Last edited by TheBadPlace at Dec 29, 2009,
Quote by primusfan

That's true, but when it comes to the music itself, the screaming just interferes with its awesomeness. I've been to concerts, and it's great and fun and everything, but it's just a whole different way of appreciating music. I prefer the way where you pay attention to the music itself, and not the atmosphere the audience adds.

Quote by primusfan

I honestly don't care about how the artists wants me to listen to it. I'll listen to it the way I like it, for I happen to like it better the way I like it.

Quote by primusfan

Whatever works.
Quote by wesselbindt
That's true, but when it comes to the music itself, the screaming just interferes with its awesomeness. I've been to concerts, and it's great and fun and everything, but it's just a whole different way of appreciating music. I prefer the way where you pay attention to the music itself, and not the atmosphere the audience adds.

I honestly don't care about how the artists wants me to listen to it. I'll listen to it the way I like it, for I happen to like it better the way I like it.

Whatever works.

you're logic is so flawed man. if given the chance to see my favorite band live, or to sit home and listen to them, i would go see them without hesitating in the slightest bit.
Quote by ninja.kitty

you're logic is so flawed man. if given the chance to see my favorite band live, or to sit home and listen to them, i would go see them without hesitating in the slightest bit.

My logic? You are laughable. It's just my opinion.
seeing how i listen to a lot of improv baised bands studio albums are very bleek in comparision to a live album and/or seeing them in concert. so live music is hands down better than studio albums.
Quote by wesselbindt

I get what you mean here.

For me it entirely depends on the artist, the music they make, how they play live, etc. etc.

Take Symphony X for example, they are amazing musicians and their recordings are awesome, and even though they may play perfectly live, it just doesn't give the right feel it needs to have to imagine what they're trying to portray with their songs than when you would be listening to it with headphones on, hearing every detail added into the recordings. + their shows are pretty boring, they basically just play what they recorded previously and then leave (off course there's some communication with the audience here and there, but that's about it).

And then there's bands like Slipknot (just a quick example, couldn't think of anything better at the moment).
I can't say I really like their music, but the mood they set playing live is amazing. The clowns on the extra drums they have, seem pretty over the top when you hear it on the album, but when you feel the beat of those drums while listening to them live, it's pretty awesome.

It all comes down on preferences for individual bands to me, and I can't really say too much about music overall, though I think a bands functions best if the music is on the same level live as it is recorded. (on a good level that is)
Seeing a band live is infinitely better than hearing a band live on a CD and for that reason I won't buy live albums and when I download live albums in discographys I usually don't put them onto itunes.
<--- This is Wally. Not Waldo.

Gear List:
Ibanez RG570
Fender MIA Strat (in black, HSS)
Godawful Marshall MG practice amp

My Youtube
My godawful blog
I prefer live music, because (and I know this because I have experienced this) the pressure of the however many people out there makes you want to perform better, and the adrenaline adds more energy and spontaneity to the music.
Call me Andrew. It's my name.

Quote by theogonia777
i fond God too, man! i sat next to him on the bus once. he told be the meaning of life and then gave me a pretzel. i can't remember what the meaning of live was, but it was a good pretzel, man!
It depends, some songs are better live than studio recorded.

Oh, and to the guy flaming the other guys logic, "you are logic is so flawed"? You'll find it's "your logic etc". If you are going to flame, at least use some proper grammar.
An Augmented 4th or a Diminished 5th?

Quote by I.O.T.M
You, fine sir, have impeccable taste.

Ahhhh Yuck Fou.
Last edited by Dawginator at Dec 29, 2009,
I never used to be a fan of live recordings. This was when my interests were more Metal-orientated.

Jazz, Blues, other non-rock/metal/hardcore genres have great live recordings.
Concerts are fun to go to, but I honestly prefer listening to completely live Studio recordings. All the live feel, no audience.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by 'Leviathan'
I take it you've never seen Muse.

I just watched part of their live DVD. Holy smokes they are good. Bellamy is a sex god.
The two "Real" concerts I've been to, Opeth and Porcupine Tree, both times, they sounded better live than on studio.

All the other local bands ive seen, i have no real basis for comparison.
depends on the band. some are absolutely far and away better live than they are on their albums. for example: Stardeath and White Dwarfs, Flaming Lips, Wilco, White Stripes, etc.

but some bands, even though i still love them, just don't have that fantastic of a live show. examples include: REM, Better Than Ezra, Greenhorns

so it depends on the band.
Both at the same time

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Resignation

Quote by Wikipedia
Guitars, bass, drums, and some keyboards on this album were all recorded live. Vocals, horns, percussion and additional keyboard parts were then overdubbed. They only allowed themselves a limited number of takes for each parts. Once a take was recorded, it was left as it was, with no post-thought interference.

But seriously, that album kicks all kinds of ass.
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
Live Music all the way. Nothing compares to that :P
The only thing that would make a live performance less awesome then a studio version would be if all the band were sick and had to play slowly.
"You have brains in your head,
You have feet in your shoes,
You can steer yourself,
any direction you choose,
You're on your own,
And you know what you know,
And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go."

- Dr. Seuss
Live Music > Studio Albums.

With bootlegs, it really depends, some are better than the studio albums, others aren't.
I think it depends on the band. I like Zeppelin a lot better live. Same deal with Hendrix.
Quote by Son.Of.TheViper
Hmm... seems the thread has been taken over by a swimming pool filled with sperm.

Quote by iantheman
Whenever I run out of tissues, I get worried that I'll be caught hopping through the hallway with my pants around my knees, a dying erection, and a fist full of semen.
Page 1 of 2