i get pretty sweaty hands when i play, so i tend to wipe down the strings after i'm done playing. but even when i do that, the strings i've used tend to completely lose their tone after a couple of days. so far i've used fender, ernie ball, and d'addarios.

tried ghs boomers a few days ago because i thought i played them before and that they lasted a while. wrong! even after wiping down after touching the strings, they literally rusted up and lost all tone within 3 days.

can anyone recommend some strings that can actually last? i've heard good things about DR so i might try those.
Get some metal polish and swipe the strings with it then clean up with clean tissue, then again with mineral oil.
3 days....must be an exaggeration.

But point taken. Try some Elixirs. I had a similar problem to yours; my strings rusted after a few weeks. My Elixirs have been strung on for a few months now and they're still doing fine. You may find the feel of the Elixirs a bit strange at first, but you will grow accustomed to it.
Fender 1996 Floyd Rose Standard Stratocaster
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon
Marshall RG-1 Regenerator
Electro-Harmonix/Sovtek (Black) Big Muff Pi

Visit my site for some FREE RE-AMPING! http://www.wix.com/reamps/reamp
elixir nanoweb (twice the price of all the other manufacturers), but i think daddarios last alot loger than 3 days and i play on average over 10 hours a day.......i can go upto 3 weeks before the life is gone out of them.

make sure you wipe your guitar down after playing
Last edited by ibanezgod1973 at Dec 29, 2009,
Elixir nanoweb.

Yeah they cost more (especially on bass, jesus christ...) but in my opinion they're pretty well worth the cost. Why? Well, because they last. I get pretty sweaty hands myself, and even if i wipe the guitar down after playing it just seems like strings go too fast, or faster than they should. I'd definitely recommend these.
When you saw me sleeping
thought I was dreaming
of you...

I didn't tell you
That the only dream
Is Valium for me
Quote by HellBoy9393
3 days....must be an exaggeration.

But point taken. Try some Elixirs. I had a similar problem to yours; my strings rusted after a few weeks. My Elixirs have been strung on for a few months now and they're still doing fine. You may find the feel of the Elixirs a bit strange at first, but you will grow accustomed to it.

haha, no exaggeration here! i was playing those ghs boomers for exactly 3 days, and then all of a sudden i noticed the unwound g, b, e strings just felt and sounded dead. they were completely fogged up/rusted? over which blew my mind.
+1 on the Elixir recommendations. They're worth trying out, some people find them a little slippery.
Quote by consecutive e
+1 on the Elixir recommendations. They're worth trying out, some people find them a little slippery.

They sort of are, but after they get stretched out, there's this long period where they just 'feel right' (at least for me personally). That just lasts until they need replaced.
When you saw me sleeping
thought I was dreaming
of you...

I didn't tell you
That the only dream
Is Valium for me
Quote by Td_Nights
They sort of are, but after they get stretched out, there's this long period where they just 'feel right' (at least for me personally). That just lasts until they need replaced.

Yeah they feel slippery at first...recently my top strings (low E, A and D strings) have started to unwind at the pickup area. Could be because of the strings themselves, or maybe I'm picking a LITTLE too hard lol. Or maybe it's just the coating peeling off?
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon

i guess i'll try the elixers then.

also, this is off-topic but, can the fretboard cause problems for the strings? my fretboard is pretty dried out looking and collects dead skin and dirt pretty fast. i'm thinking that might also be a huge factor in my strings dying so fast?
Quote by HellBoy9393
Yeah they feel slippery at first...recently my top strings (low E, A and D strings) have started to unwind at the pickup area. Could be because of the strings themselves, or maybe I'm picking a LITTLE too hard lol. Or maybe it's just the coating peeling off?

Might just be the coating coming off, I know that's happened to me before a few times.

That's when you can really visually see the difference though...I know i sound like an advertisement, but meh I'm tired. They cost more for a reason
When you saw me sleeping
thought I was dreaming
of you...

I didn't tell you
That the only dream
Is Valium for me
Quote by b00m
i guess i'll try the elixers then.

also, this is off-topic but, can the fretboard cause problems for the strings? my fretboard is pretty dried out looking and collects dead skin and dirt pretty fast. i'm thinking that might also be a huge factor in my strings dying so fast?

A dirty fretboard will make your strings dirty too (at least the undersides). I suggest you get a dry cloth and wipe the fretboard clean when you re-string.
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon

tried a few myself, and d'addarios are the best sounding, longest lasting strings I have used. play for 1-3 hrs a day, and I DO NOT wipe my strings when I finish and they still last a good month, month and half before they starting dying. I am not sure why you are haveing such a problem. Ernie balls I can understand, they suck.
R.I.P. Randy Rhoads
Quote by madh4ttr
tried a few myself, and d'addarios are the best sounding, longest lasting strings I have used. play for 1-3 hrs a day, and I DO NOT wipe my strings when I finish and they still last a good month, month and half before they starting dying. I am not sure why you are haveing such a problem. Ernie balls I can understand, they suck.

Well, I have to disagree. Sure D'Addarios are great (I'd been using them for over 8 years without a problem), but now I'm using Ernie Ball, and I play about 3 hours a day, do not wipe the strings, and they last me for over 2 months without losing tone or rusting. It depends on the person's sweat composition; i guess mine isn't very acid :P

To the TS, I had the same problem years ago, when I was using Dean Markley they wouldn't last me even a week.
DR's are IMO some of the best uncoated strings, but if you want something that will surely last, then go Elixir. They're great and last for a LONG time, but they're not for everybody.
- Fender American Standard Ash Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Chopper T & Twang King
- Alhambra 5P
- Laney Lionheart L5T-112
- Line 6 POD XT
- Suhr Shiba Drive
- MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
- Dunlop Cry Baby
^, yea, I guess everyone has different experiences. EB strings died so quick on me, didnt even last 2 weeks before they really sounded like shit. Oh well, to each his own. peace
R.I.P. Randy Rhoads
Get Elixirs. You'll save cash and tone.

So far my current Elixirs have lasted 2 weeks on my guitar and are slightly decolourized but the tone is still pretty decent (I play a few hours a day and have sweaty palms).

On the other hand, Ernie Balls last an average of about 3 days before tone loss and I have to change them after two weeks at most. D'Addarios last slightly longer but they don't feel smooth to my fingers even right out of the pack.
Strings aren't going to really vary from brand to brand seeing as they are all made of the same thing - steel or nickle. The only things that will last longer are coated strings such as Elixers (there are a couple other brands that sell coated strings but I can't remember - I think Ernie Ball makes a set).
Elixirs for sweaty hands.
Quote by bendystraw
what's pron?

EDIT: i googled it, you guys are gross.

a2m/gape/murder/suicide/farrakhan/braziliancakefarts/bugera
Not everybody sweats the same yo. What lasts a couple of weeks for me can be run on my buddies guitar for three or four months, if not longer.

Anyways, if Elixirs don't work out for you there's a German (I think) company that produces gold coated strings. Those should last longer than anything and they're still only $15-20/pack.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Quote by DethDroogie
Elixir are way too expensive.
Not really; they do last a fair bit longer. I'm not a huge fan of Elixirs, but I admit that the anti-corrosion treatment on the plain steels works very well.

Also check out the 24 carat gold-plated 'Optima Gold', they cost about the same as Elixirs (£11 a set) but feel much nicer, especially for bending. In fact, I strongly recommend going up a gauge as the '9s feel more like '8s...
I had a set of Pyramid strings on my guitar that lasted a while.

They're expensive though.
Quote by The Deported
Try Dean Markley.

I got two packets of their Frozen Molecular Changed strings (can't remember the real names... Frost Steel or something..) and they were literally blackened on the E, B and G strings within 5 days. I will never go back to them =[
"if i were you I wouldn't fiddle with the feet etc. as that nullifies warranty but yeh, just get up in digitech's grill and demand they make you a custom whammy that is purple and gold and fires rockets when you bend +2 octaves"