Hey, I'm pretty sure this is where this goes. If not, sorry and could you tell me where it should be?

Before I tell you my problem I have an Ibanez EWC30PDERLG Acoustic/Electric guitar and I use DR Rare acoustic strings.

So basically I play "The Messenger" by The Tea Party a lot on the acoustic. Problem is that the tuning is DADADE (top to bottom) so you really have to stress the G string to get to that A. If I want to play this song but then tune back to standard and then tune back up to the Open D (sort of) tuning then the G string usually snaps. It has broken twice on me even being as gentle as I could possibly be. (Yes funny haha I keep breaking my G string)

So my question is since I have a full pack of strings aside from the G would it be better to replace it with the B or the D. Would either be a better choice or would they both just have the same reaction and snap because of stress.

I know I should just buy another pack and restring but I'd prefer answers that aren't the basic "Don't play in that tuning and then another tuning and then back to the other tuning again". Hopefully there is something someone can recommend me that will help.

I'm thinking the smaller B would be better to use than the bigger D because the B on the acoustic already can tune up to D and back down and back up and it has yet to snap on me. Or maybe it's just the strings I'm using or the guitar's action?

Any idea's are much appreciated. Thanks!
Originally Posted by happytimeharry
Your avatar is creepy, yet incredibly hypnotic...

I do what I can

Originally Posted by FiNNi
@AlterEdge: On a side note, I laughed when I noticed pedobear was your avatar

Me too... me too...
Tune down a half step and use a capo (or just play the song down a half=step) if your concerned about the tension. The open tuning would then be

Db Ab, Db, Ab, Db, Eb

Or, you could steal the B string from another pack and replace your G string with it.
Last edited by GC Shred Off at Dec 29, 2009,
Here's the "ugly little secret" about tuning a guitar. It's impossible to get a guitar to play totally in tune. There are several factors that cause this.

They include:

* where the frets are placed

* the height of the strings from the fingerboard

* the condition of the strings

* the way that notes and harmonics occur along the length of the vibrating string

* the fact that notes that are perfectly in tune in one chord, will be out of tune in a different chord

The good news is that we can usually make the guitar sound in tune. If the guitar is made correctly ( frets in the right place, saddle in right place and compensated correctly,etc...) the guitar can be tuned so that it sounds in tune with it's self.
============
VoIP Phone Service
cell phone service