We hear it all the time, when most people start playing guitar they only say "this is the only I want to do my entire life, I want to be a pro, I want to be in a band, go famous, etc". Why is it this way with guitarists but not so much with other musicians?
I imagin it's because alot of beginners start playing because they saw their fave band do it. Kinda like young kids with playing football, and all they want to do in life is play for their fave team.

As opposed to alot of other instruments, where you would have been taught it at school, or your parents forced you/suggested you take lessons in it.
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
Last edited by pigeonmafia at Dec 29, 2009,
Quote by pigeonmafia
I imagin it's because alot of beginners start playing because they saw their fave band do it. Kinda like young kids with playing football, and all they want to do in life is play for their fave team, but less than 0.10% of high school jocks become professional athletes, so they end up becoming wife-beating alcoholics who work in real estate and pressure their children, living vicariously through them and WHO'S A LOSER NOW TOM, HUH?!! HUH?!!! WHO'S THE LOSER NOW!!!!!!????

Fixed...
Dammit, how could I have missed that bit out??

Makes... sense...

Although if it helps a counter-argument, I started on guitar nad graduated to cello later becuase I wanted to play in an orchestra? Not sure if that's really what you're talking about, thought.
stop dreaming......play and maybe you`ll get noticed, you need to start networking within the industry before you even get a look in, alot of demos get about 20 seconds of a A&R guys time you have gotta make sure your demo is sh*t hot for him to give it any more and your band portfolios need to be the same.

i`ve gotta lot of contacts via myspace, facebook and twitter but you need to be what the industry is looking for, best most peeps can hope for is as a demo guy for manufacturers or a guitar teacher(what i chose) again you`ve gotta be good and versatile.
I wanted to be a guitar god but I'm not good enough so I just pretend I am.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
Quote by ibanezgod1973
stop dreaming......play and maybe you`ll get noticed, you need to start networking within the industry before you even get a look in, alot of demos get about 20 seconds of a A&R guys time you have gotta make sure your demo is sh*t hot for him to give it any more and your band portfolios need to be the same.

i`ve gotta lot of contacts via myspace, facebook and twitter but you need to be what the industry is looking for, best most peeps can hope for is as a demo guy for manufacturers or a guitar teacher(what i chose) again you`ve gotta be good and versatile.

Erm, that had nothing to do with what he asked.

But okay!
You hear it more because there are a ****ton of guitarists compared to other musicians. It's simply a matter of a much larger sample population.
Quote by Symphony21
Probably because a lot of people pick up the instrument just to get chicks/money. How many clarinet players started playing because it was sexy? I'll tell you.. not a single one.

probably because guitar takes longer to master than most instruments, which is why many guitarist practice all the time. which really has nothing to do with your question.
Quote by hippieboy444
probably because guitar takes longer to master than most instruments, which is why many guitarist practice all the time. which really has nothing to do with your question.

sorry, but that's utter garbage.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by hippieboy444

No, we practice all the time because we genuinely enjoy what we do.
I think it's because of the associations that come with guitar, people see rock stars with all the fortune and fame and they want a piece of that. Sort of like what you said with the: "this is the only I want to do my entire life, I want to be a pro, I want to be in a band, go famous, etc".
However, I don't think that's passion, I think that's just greed and a dream to have but never work for for a lot of people. If you're playing because you want to be famous then that's the wrong reason. I think that if you look at a true passion for the instrument you'd probably find more of it in other musicians, like violinists or something.
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.
Because like anything we do at a younger age we want to find out who were are. The world defines us by our work/job/carrear. Guitarist always want to be a 'guitarist' no matter the age. But when you are still at that young age you don't know who you are and haven't experenced life enough yet to know any of those answers. But you know that this band and that band or that band and that guitarist and this one guy that did this...so why not you?

Truth is, go and watch the local sence and you'll see the difference I those that play cuz they love to play, the ones that are trying to 'make it' and the ones that just there for all the wrong reasons.

Not that any of this makes any difference.
In the Valley of Vung
Quote by i_killed_bill

This. ahahhaha. its easy to live a guitar lifestyle. theres a lot out there to keep you entertained and so it makes it easy for you to jump in and want to be a part of it. plus, money, girls, fame, etc....most likely not something 99% of us will achieve, but the possibility is enticing is it not?
It is naive, self-indulgent and ridiculous to make the generalization, that of all muscians, guitarists are the most passionate.
Quote by i_killed_bill

yeah, this. forget what i said.
Because the guitar is associated with things that we have been taught are good:
Sex. Money. Fame.
If successful clarinet players got all the girls, went on world tours, had millions of adoring fans worlwide, and lived in huge mansions, then many people who want these things would become clarinet players and aspire to play clarinet for a living.
Of course, look what it did for Kenny G.

(yes i know he plays a sax)

(no i dont care)
Gibson Les Paul BFG Gator
Line6 James Tyler Variax JTV-69
Line6 Pod HD500
Blackheart Handsome Devil
I am going to say that you hear it more because you hang around guitar players. If you hung around with........say tennis players, you would be saying the same thing about them.
when most people start playing guitar they only say "this is the only I want to do my entire life, I want to be a pro, I want to be in a band, go famous, etc".

Because rockstardom is very cool and seems pretty easy if you've just picked up the guitar.
Quote by TimeIsTheEnemy
Don't you think it's kinda arrogant to say guitarists have more passion than other musicians?

Not only that but this is Ultimate-GUITAR.com

I'd like to see this question asked on any other forum.
Quote by Symphony21
Probably because a lot of people pick up the instrument just to get chicks/money. How many clarinet players started playing because it was sexy? I'll tell you.. not a single one.

I think clarinets are sexy... But flutes are most definitely sexier.
I find that music is one of the only things that relaxes me and interests me enough to continue playing. What I find so ironic is that no matter how much you practice, how good you are at certain things, there is no clear way to define the best and there are so many possibilities you can truly never master the instrument. Maybe when I am 70 years old (and still playing) I will sit and just think "damn that was all worthless" but then again maybe I will think "I want to get better at this or that" I dont think it will ever go through my head as "I am exactly where I wanted to always be with guitar" because that idea constantly evolves as your taste changes. My goal isn't necessarily to be famous or rich, but I would like to enjoy my dream of doing what I love for a career and being successful. Music just happens to be what I love.

I think that is more the logic with people. Whether they are completely true to it or not, people say it with the desire of being able to gain success doing what they love. Some people might just be going through a phase where they really relate to music and need it and there for love it for that moment, but then life settles down they get through their troubles and move on to other careers. Others just truly love it and say they want to do it professionally at age 15 and continue to say it until they die, the passion doesn't dissolve.
Quote by PattyCakes
I find that music is one of the only things that relaxes me and interests me enough to continue playing. What I find so ironic is that no matter how much you practice, how good you are at certain things, there is no clear way to define the best and there are so many possibilities you can truly never master the instrument. Maybe when I am 70 years old (and still playing) I will sit and just think "damn that was all worthless" but then again maybe I will think "I want to get better at this or that" I dont think it will ever go through my head as "I am exactly where I wanted to always be with guitar" because that idea constantly evolves as your taste changes. My goal isn't necessarily to be famous or rich, but I would like to enjoy my dream of doing what I love for a career and being successful. Music just happens to be what I love.

I think that is more the logic with people. Whether they are completely true to it or not, people say it with the desire of being able to gain success doing what they love. Some people might just be going through a phase where they really relate to music and need it and there for love it for that moment, but then life settles down they get through their troubles and move on to other careers. Others just truly love it and say they want to do it professionally at age 15 and continue to say it until they die, the passion doesn't dissolve.

Well... I'd say that it's possible to pick a best guitarist as far as technicality goes since that's not subjective. You've got guys like Rusty Cooley, Michael Angelo Batio, Shawn Lane, etc; basically, a small group of people who are clearly above everyone else in technicality. Of course, there's a problem with that in some cases like Shawn Lane since the other guys have gotten an extra 6 years on him already and who knows how much better he'd have been by now. But, eh, it's doable.

Composing is impossible to determine, though.
Quote by Eag1e
Well... I'd say that it's possible to pick a best guitarist as far as technicality goes since that's not subjective. You've got guys like Rusty Cooley, Michael Angelo Batio, Shawn Lane, etc; basically, a small group of people who are clearly above everyone else in technicality. Of course, there's a problem with that in some cases like Shawn Lane since the other guys have gotten an extra 6 years on him already and who knows how much better he'd have been by now. But, eh, it's doable.

Composing is impossible to determine, though.

Yea you can pick a handful of players that are among the top at what they do but it is pretty much impossible to pick the flat out best one. It is so subjective.

By the way, google Mance Lipscomb, I am sure he is not nearly as great as the people you mentioned, I just dig his shit and he is bomb with fingerstyle...he plays blues, worth a listen, I just love these old school blues players they jam!
Last edited by PattyCakes at Dec 29, 2009,
Well lets think about this for a minute. When you go see a band in concert, who is in the front? Bass, vocals, and guitar. Why don't people want to be bassists? Because most of the time you can't hear them at all. If a guitar is playing, people can't hear the bass so they just don't care. Why not vocals? Because you are the instrument. If something goes wrong and you can't sing something right, you have nothing to blame but yourself. So that leaves guitar. Sure sometimes there's a drum solo or keyboard solo, but they are usually short lived, and too few and far between. Not to mention that nobody wants to play keyboard because people have been playing piano for hundreds of years. Guitar seems pretty modern and cool by comparison. And nobody wants to be a drummer because in this vicious cycle they know they probably won't get noticed much.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Quote by hippieboy444

This is the shittiest post I've seen here in a long time...
and that's probably true. I practice the whole time. I can't live without my guitar. If I went one day without my guitar, I'll pobably go insane...
Quote by Junior#1
Well lets think about this for a minute. When you go see a band in concert, who is in the front? Bass, vocals, and guitar. Why don't people want to be bassists? Because most of the time you can't hear them at all. If a guitar is playing, people can't hear the bass so they just don't care. Why not vocals? Because you are the instrument. If something goes wrong and you can't sing something right, you have nothing to blame but yourself. So that leaves guitar. Sure sometimes there's a drum solo or keyboard solo, but they are usually short lived, and too few and far between. Not to mention that nobody wants to play keyboard because people have been playing piano for hundreds of years. Guitar seems pretty modern and cool by comparison. And nobody wants to be a drummer because in this vicious cycle they know they probably won't get noticed much.

a lot of that was ramblin on how egotistical guitars are. if metal guitarist would learn how to eq, sound check better and not think way too much overdrive is cool we wouldn't have a problem.

and as a avid paino player i plan on teaching piano for a living after i'm done with college next year. so don't say nobody.
Quote by PattyCakes

I really enjoyed this post. Although I must disagree with you and say that technical ability on guitar is indeed an objective matter and not subjective.

May I ask how old you are btw?
Quote by yearzero
Not only that but this is Ultimate-GUITAR.com

I'd like to see this question asked on any other forum.

Indeed, the fact that this is ultimate-guitar.com pretty much just pwned this thread.

What even caused OP to create this thread? The fact that there are lots of 14 year olds learning EVH tapping licks and "starting bands" ??? Like others have stated, that's hardly "passion." I mean... it could be, but not necessarily.

Guitar has become such a showy instrument in today's culture... if anything it seems like guitarists (percentage-wise) are much less passionate than other musicians. As has been stated, many guitarists have shallow reasons for playing (it's "cool," girls dig it, it makes you seem... sophisticated?) whereas Squidward passionately loves playing his clarinet, regardless of how he looks or is treated.

Also, the fact that guitar technique is still quite an unknown thing to the general public seems to makes it a more mysterious and challenging task to take on (for those who have the drive to do so, and not quit within their first year). Violin, piano, cello, flute, clarinet, etc... all have pretty much classically set technique, but when it comes to guitar... there are so many players with awful technique and it's due to a lack of knowledge really...

WHICH is why this forum is here
Quote by fixationdarknes

Indeed, the fact that this is ultimate-guitar.com pretty much just pwned this thread.

What even caused OP to create this thread? The fact that there are lots of 14 year olds learning EVH tapping licks and "starting bands" ??? Like others have stated, that's hardly "passion." I mean... it could be, but not necessarily.

Guitar has become such a showy instrument in today's culture... if anything it seems like guitarists (percentage-wise) are much less passionate than other musicians. As has been stated, many guitarists have shallow reasons for playing (it's "cool," girls dig it, it makes you seem... sophisticated?) whereas Squidward passionately loves playing his clarinet, regardless of how he looks or is treated.

Also, the fact that guitar technique is still quite an unknown thing to the general public seems to makes it a more mysterious and challenging task to take on (for those who have the drive to do so, and not quit within their first year). Violin, piano, cello, flute, clarinet, etc... all have pretty much classically set technique, but when it comes to guitar... there are so many players with awful technique and it's due to a lack of knowledge really...

WHICH is why this forum is here