I'm looking for a guitar around the $2500-$3200 aus price range.
Looking for a metal guitar, preferably neck through and must have 24 frets. I'm aware of the ESP's, however they are disgustingly overpriced for the quality. Any recommendations?
A very high end ibanez would do the trick.

Some of those prestiege RGs, like the RGT320Z.

Now after doing a quick look on ebay you can pick up a 2nd hand one for about $1000 USD and with the AUD being pretty close (about 90c to the dollar) you can save some big bucks and spend the rest on other upgrades. (i'd recommend you buy american after you've tried it in a store). I did this for my S470 and i got it about 1/2 the price i would've new with a case, and it was definatly worth it.

Hope this helps, but for that price range ur only being limited by vintage guitars, u'll be hard pressed to find a guitar that's actually worth $3500.

Toodles!
- Ibanez S470 (2004)
- late 70's vintage Fender Stratocaster (USA)
- VOX VT100 Amp
- Digitech Whammy Pedal
- Weeping Demon Wah Pedal
- Visual Sound Volume Pedal
- MXR Micro Amp
Oh no, there are guitars up in that price range, i forgot about the J-customs!

Now that would be a treat to buy yourself!
- Ibanez S470 (2004)
- late 70's vintage Fender Stratocaster (USA)
- VOX VT100 Amp
- Digitech Whammy Pedal
- Weeping Demon Wah Pedal
- Visual Sound Volume Pedal
- MXR Micro Amp
Get a Carvin CT6. You can choose custom options to your heart's delight, and you won't find a better guitar. The thing is unbelievable.
i've actually checked the Carvin site before, but living in Australia it's pretty rare to come across someone that has one so I've never really been able to play one or see the quality of one. What are they like quality wise?
also, any idea how much shipping would cost?
Quote by randomucker
i've actually checked the Carvin site before, but living in Australia it's pretty rare to come across someone that has one so I've never really been able to play one or see the quality of one. What are they like quality wise?
also, any idea how much shipping would cost?

I don't know what the shipping costs would be, but if you send them an e-mail, they'll get back to you quickly. As for the quality, the quality on every Carvin guitar, bass or amplifier I have owned has been second to none. They truly are spectacular instruments made of top quality materials. Most people who encounter them for the first time are amazed that they don't cost at least twice as much.
Have you ever tried using a banana?
"And on the 4th day God created fog and regretted it bitterly"
Do you know whether they come with original floyd roses? it doesn't state what type it is, those licensed ones are awful. And it doesn't really give you much of a choice in regards to the pickups. =/ I'd end up spending another $200 to replace them
Ok, Carvin has a shipping calculator....wooww...i'm looking at around $500 for shipping, that's insane
Could you not get one custom made by a Luthier for that price?
Quote by Liberation
Every time I see your avatar I want to slit your neck with a butterknife. Goddamn Pingu.
The MAB-1 and MAB-2 are supposed to be very good guitars. And if you are looking for something shred-worthy, Mr. Batio is a pretty good barometer of just how well that thing can be shredded.

That one has the Original Floyd Rose tremolo, an ebony fretboard and EMG pickups, which are all very nice touches.
Quote by loonyguitarist

Exactly.

http://www.ormsbyguitars.com/models.html
Surely that would get you a custom Ormsby build?
He's based in Perth, so having presumed you're Australian and not putting your currency into AUSD for shit n giggles, wouldn't this be a better option.
Last edited by ze monsta at Dec 29, 2009,
Quote by loonyguitarist

to be honest i know of no electric guitar luthiers in sydney. there are tons of acoustic makers around though. australia loves theres acoustics
If he's in Perth, here's hoping you're not in Brisbane. That would be one hell of a commute.
Quote by randomucker
I'm aware of the ESP's, however they are disgustingly overpriced for the quality. Any recommendations?

I don't know how expensive they are in Australia, but I would take an ESP over any guitar, any day of the week. I have yet to play one that didn't feel and sound absolutely amazing.

Also, this belongs in EG.

Reported for move
Quote by ze monsta
Exactly.

http://www.ormsbyguitars.com/models.html
Surely that would get you a custom Ormsby build?
He's based in Perth, so having presumed you're Australian and not putting your currency into AUSD for shit n giggles, wouldn't this be a better option.

Yup, check out his build diaries in the Gear Building and Customising forum here on UG (yes, he's a member here).

He does fantastic work.
Quote by Liberation
Every time I see your avatar I want to slit your neck with a butterknife. Goddamn Pingu.
I agree 100% with Ormsby. His work is tops, especially his finishing techniques and the good ol' Ormsby neck test. I'd so get one if I lived in Australia.
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS:
Ibanez RG3570Z
Digitech Whammy
thanks guys, how the f### did I not know about ormsby??? i've sent him a quote, and if the guitars are as good as you are all saying they are, they're decently priced too
Hey require some info and shit

What type of bridge?
What pickup layout?
What woods?
Inlays/control layout etc.?

If you're in Sydney I do know of a luthier called Charles Cilia however most of the work I've seen him do is pretty vintage-y stuff. And I'm not too sure what problem's you've had with ESP guitars but I'd suggest you try them again 'cos I've never noticed a major quality flaw on a single ESP I've tried/seen so maybe you got a rare model.

I guess you could also start looking at Caparison guitars but they're at the upper end of your budget and their is still no certainty if they will drop in price next year or not As for Carvin guitars there is a dealer over here in the west by the name of PK's Music, they mainly concentrate with left handed guitars but can order you a Carvin of your choice. I'm really not sure on the prices but doing out a quote form on their website with Australia listed as the country the price was rather shocking compared to the US site.
Quote by azn_guitarist25
Hey require some info and shit

What type of bridge?
What pickup layout?
What woods?
Inlays/control layout etc.?

If you're in Sydney I do know of a luthier called Charles Cilia however most of the work I've seen him do is pretty vintage-y stuff. And I'm not too sure what problem's you've had with ESP guitars but I'd suggest you try them again 'cos I've never noticed a major quality flaw on a single ESP I've tried/seen so maybe you got a rare model.

I guess you could also start looking at Caparison guitars but they're at the upper end of your budget and their is still no certainty if they will drop in price next year or not As for Carvin guitars there is a dealer over here in the west by the name of PK's Music, they mainly concentrate with left handed guitars but can order you a Carvin of your choice. I'm really not sure on the prices but doing out a quote form on their website with Australia listed as the country the price was rather shocking compared to the US site.

Two friends of mine have bought ESP's in the price range i'm looking at. One of them had a bow in the neck and the floyd rose route was slightly off, the other had the same problem with the floyd route. they both also were completely unplayable when they first got them...there was almost no attempt at setting them up at all.

anyway as for your questions. I prefer mahogany, but only if it's Brazilian or Honduras...which is pretty much impossible to get on anything other then super high end guitars, so alder for me.

for the pickups i'm looking for an emg 81 or seymour ahb-1 blackout in the bridge, or something close to, im not particularly fussed with the pickups, almost any high quality active pickup will do-I barely use my neck pickup on any of my guitars, so if it doesn't have one altogether that's fine with me.

Inlays aren't a concern either, and I prefer 1 volume+1 tone knob per pickup on my guitars.
:S Doesn't sound like ESP would send out something that bad, I do know they completely wrote off a guitar for just having a scratch in the final paint so not too sure what the go was there. As for being completely unplayable well that's not acceptable but why wasn't the shop doing a set up before the guitar got to your friends hands.

Anyway Jackson RR24 meets most of your things except for the lack of tone knob. And they can be had for around $2500-ish if you look around.
ouch, really? a year build time? to long. as for the jackson rr 24, played it before and it's very nice, but i'm currently in the process of making a guitar...and i've gone with the rhoads body shape for it..don't ask me why, but i dont want two of the same shape . The rhoads shape being built has a fixed hannes bridge as well, so this is why i'm after a separate guitar with a floyd rose....probably should of said all this earlier
Quote by randomucker
ouch, really? a year build time? to long. as for the jackson rr 24, played it before and it's very nice, but i'm currently in the process of making a guitar...and i've gone with the rhoads body shape for it..don't ask me why, but i dont want two of the same shape . The rhoads shape being built has a fixed hannes bridge as well, so this is why i'm after a separate guitar with a floyd rose....probably should of said all this earlier

Oh dude if you can make your own guitar then do that. You'll get much better bang for your buck and everything will be perfect for you. It's what I would do if I wasn't so lazy.