Page 1 of 2
I thought since all of you guys have your Rectumfriers and you 100 watt tube amps you guys would be using some ear protection. I just joied a band and I wan to protect my ears to the fullest but with still being able to ear the music we're playing clearly.

So GG&A what kind of ear protection do you use and what is the best ear protection?
Quote by EchoxOath
SG has officially won this thread.
Quote by RazorTheAwesome
there are no words to describe how truly epic this is.

Quote by SGstriker
I think you win the award for the coolest member of '08
Hearos work just fine. The Xtreme is supposed to block more decibels. I don't know if that's true, though.
Budget?
Quote by Liberation
Every time I see your avatar I want to slit your neck with a butterknife. Goddamn Pingu.
Well I don't expect them to cost that much so I'll put in $50 for them. Is that enough for good ones? or should I put in more?
Quote by EchoxOath
Quote by RazorTheAwesome

Quote by SGstriker
just go up to the local homebase B&Q or hardware store if your a septeic
and builders ear defenders are excellent to use in a live studio
just don't let the drummer have a pair they will make them play LOUD
its a bitter sweet symphony this life try to make ends meet your a slave to money then you die
Quote by IYanoplathizoI
Scrounge loads of free yellow ones from airshows

Hey, if you're looking for free ear protectors, a pair of fired 9mm Parabellum casings work great. Scoop 'em up at your local range.
Quote by ChrixtianB
hear protection=gay!!
rock and roll is played at 11

And then you lose your hearing.

Google 'ear plugs' and see what you can find for your budget. I'm from the UK so I don't really know what you can get for $50...

Ideally, you want them to have good attenuation, sound transparent and be comfortable. Obviously the more you spend, the better it gets in all three.
Quote by Liberation
Every time I see your avatar I want to slit your neck with a butterknife. Goddamn Pingu.
Quote by ChrixtianB
hear protection=gay!!
rock and roll is played at 11

You dont need ear protection with your MG15 Chrixtian.

But on a serious note, I just wear the orange foam ones that shape to my ear when I need to. I can still hear whats going on without completely blocking out our sound, and I don't have a migrane that adds to the hangover the next morning.

I went to an Aussie Floyd concert back in October and to be honest, they were way to loud and I thought I suffered ear damage. Half the time they were so loud you couldn't even tell what song they were playing, but it still was amazing.
Gear:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio Cherry Sunburst w/ Alnico Pro II
-1960 Yamaha Orange Sticker Acoustic
-Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
-Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
-Blackstar HT-5RH
Last edited by IdntNedUrCvlWar at Dec 29, 2009,
Quote by loonyguitarist
And then you lose your hearing.

Google 'ear plugs' and see what you can find for your budget. I'm from the UK so I don't really know what you can get for $50...

Ideally, you want them to have good attenuation, sound transparent and be comfortable. Obviously the more you spend, the better it gets in all three.

Well like I said I can spend more on them haha I'm just cheap and trying to save for a Peavey XXX 212 lol

What do you guys think of these?
http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/alnasoearpl.html
Quote by EchoxOath
Quote by RazorTheAwesome

Quote by SGstriker
I think some cheap earplugs will probably do you fine, and its probably only worth getting really expensive ones when you're touring and/or playing insanely loudly every night for a long time. The ear can withstand like 30 minutes of extreme volume at a time, can't it? And from then on you're in hearing damage zone.

Quote by IdntNedUrCvlWar

I went to an Aussie Floyd concert back in October and to be honest, they were way to loud and I thought I suffered ear damage. Half the time they were so loud you couldn't even tell what song they were playing, but it still was amazing.

I saw them sometime early this year, and they were ****ing insanely loud then too. Damn good aren't they?
Those look like they would do just fine. Get the gold ones, if the prices are all the same.
Quote by ze monsta
I think some cheap earplugs will probably do you fine, and its probably only worth getting really expensive ones when you're touring and/or playing insanely loudly every night for a long time. The ear can withstand like 30 minutes of extreme volume at a time, can't it? And from then on you're in hearing damage zone.

I saw them sometime early this year, and they were ****ing insanely loud then too. Damn good aren't they?

Yeah they really are, i'm definitely going to see them again.

TS, cheap ones will work fine, like the ones ^ posted the link to.
Gear:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio Cherry Sunburst w/ Alnico Pro II
-1960 Yamaha Orange Sticker Acoustic
-Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
-Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
-Blackstar HT-5RH
Quote by SGburnsRED
Well like I said I can spend more on them haha I'm just cheap and trying to save for a Peavey XXX 212 lol

What do you guys think of these?
http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/alnasoearpl.html

Yeah, I know how it is, I don't have expensive ones at all, and they were free with my job anyway

Yeah, those look fine to me (though I'm no expert). As someone else said, not worth spending loads unless you'll be using them a lot.
Quote by Liberation
Alright well I think I'll get the Alpines. They come with all three filters so you can change them for your needs.

^^^ Well I have band practice every week now and also go to concerts every now and then.
Quote by EchoxOath
Quote by RazorTheAwesome

Quote by SGstriker
Last edited by SGburnsRED at Dec 29, 2009,
Cheap foam earplugs and even earplugs like the Alpines posted above really won't do you any good as they do not properly block out the right frequencies to actually protect your ears. While the sound may be attenuated, certain frequencies are still coming through and damaging your hearing.
^ Please explain?

I know that the ears are most sensitive around 1-4kHz, which is where the ear plugs seem to have the most attenuation.

Is there something I'm missing?
Quote by Liberation
Just to generalize, there are about 3 "classes" of earplugs..

Foam - <$1/set
Rubber earplugs - $20-30 (eg. the ones you posted)
Molded earplugs - $150+

With $50, you're not going to get much better than the ones you posted or any of its equivalents. But hearing protection is an extremely important investment for a musician who will tend to be around loud equipment for long periods. You can't really put a price on your hearing and once it's lost, it will never come back. How much is $200 for a molded pair of earplugs versus a lifetime of tinnitus? Read through this thread.

All in all: although you may call yourself "cheap", if you plan on gigging a lot in the future, it would be well worth it to save up for good, professional earplugs. If you don't want to pay for "high" price, ask your parents to chip in. They should see the worth of it.
Quote by bendystraw
what's pron?

EDIT: i googled it, you guys are gross.

a2m/gape/murder/suicide/farrakhan/braziliancakefarts/bugera
Quote by loonyguitarist
^ Please explain?

I know that the ears are most sensitive around 1-4kHz, which is where the ear plugs seem to have the most attenuation.

Is there something I'm missing?

I don't personally know the science behind it but I'm very good friends with an audiologist and he explained that cheap ear plugs don't protect you. He wasn't saying this to try to make a sale or anything - he actually gave me a set of ear plugs for free that he had to pay $100+ to have made.
Fair enough. I did some psychoacoustics as part of my degree, but I can't remember much, except that it's good to look after your ears.
Quote by Liberation
Quote by no.mop

With $50, you're not going to get much better than the ones you posted or any of its equivalents. But hearing protection is an extremely important investment for a musician who will tend to be around loud equipment for long periods. You can't really put a price on your hearing and once it's lost, it will never come back. How much is $200 for a molded pair of earplugs versus a lifetime of tinnitus?

All in all: although you may call yourself "cheap", if you plan on gigging a lot in the future, it would be well worth it to save up for good, professional earplugs. If you don't want to pay for "high" price, ask your parents to chip in. They should see the worth of it.

Well I kind of already have tinntus......

Like I said I could spend more on them. Which with what you said, I most likely will now.

So mop what are some good high quality earplugs?
Quote by EchoxOath
Quote by RazorTheAwesome

Quote by SGstriker
Quote by IdntNedUrCvlWar
You dont need ear protection with your MG15 Chrixtian.

But on a serious note, I just wear the orange foam ones that shape to my ear when I need to. I can still hear whats going on without completely blocking out our sound, and I don't have a migrane that adds to the hangover the next morning.

That's what I wear. When I start gigging more and get a louder amp, I'm gonna get better ones
My Gear:
Guitars:
Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 in Charcoal Burst

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Vintage '70s Thomas Organ Crybaby Wah
Boss DD-6
Quote by SGburnsRED
Well I kind of already have tinntus......

Like I said I could spend more on them. Which with what you said, I most likely will now.

So mop what are some good high quality earplugs?

I think that if you go to a local hearing clinic, they should be able to make a mold of each of your ears which you can then send to a company that will use the molds for...molding your fitted earplugs. The hearing clinic probably has links to such a company as well or will even do it in their building. I can't recall any of the companies online, but it shouldn't be too hard to find them.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Quote by bendystraw
what's pron?

Get molded plugs. They may be expensive but they're more than worth it! The sound is way better than with anything else.
I'm currently working on a system to generate MIDI from the motion of a guitar. More info coming soon.
Quote by no.mop
I think that if you go to a local hearing clinic, they should be able to make a mold of each of your ears which you can then send to a company that will use the molds for...molding your fitted earplugs. The hearing clinic probably has links to such a company as well or will even do it in their building. I can't recall any of the companies online, but it shouldn't be too hard to find them.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

You sir are correct. Your local hearing clinic/audiologist office will be able to make ear molds for you, which you can send to a company to have custom-fitted ear plugs. Some companies actually make "musician earplugs" which are designed to block the frequencies that normal cheapo plugs don't block.
Well then to the local hearing clinic I go!!........when I find where this is one around here lol
Quote by EchoxOath
Quote by RazorTheAwesome

Quote by SGstriker
Do musicians still use the Shure headphones/earplugs? When I still went to shows I saw them all the time, but last night I plugged a pair into my Blackstar and it sounded like a worn out old cassette.
Extreme Isolation headphones?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Wow I didn't know people used earplugs lol. Unless you play cranked for an hour I don't see a reason. Gigging it would be nice but I always thought I wouldn't be able to hear my nice tone.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Quote by JoePerry4life
Wow I didn't know people used earplugs lol. Unless you play cranked for an hour I don't see a reason. Gigging it would be nice but I always thought I wouldn't be able to hear my nice tone.

Anything above 85db (I believe that's the cutoff but I'm not positive) is considered hazardous to your hearing weather you're playing for a minute or an hour. Most amps hit 85db easily.
Maybe thats why I can never hear my girlfriend yelling out to me when I'm playing guitar lol.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Quote by JoePerry4life
Maybe thats why I can never hear my girlfriend yelling out to me when I'm playing guitar lol.

lmao!

And I just realized that I used "weather" instead of "whether" in my last post. epic fail =(

I blame the alcohol I've been consuming.
Man, my $12 pair of was one of the best purchases I've ever made. Not only can I play louder and still get full quality of what I play, it actually makes my tone sound better because it gets rid of all the noise that your ears pick up. And my ears never ring
Quote by drewfromutah
Man, my $12 pair of was one of the best purchases I've ever made. Not only can I play louder and still get full quality of what I play, it actually makes my tone sound better because it gets rid of all the noise that your ears pick up. And my ears never ring

It's great that it sounds good to you, but what about the audience? If you're not aware of the highs that you're dialing in, that could easily get pretty ice-picky for them and be brutal on their ears.
Quote by bendystraw
what's pron?

I use those. They cost about 2 bucks and come in there own container, you can get em at hardware stores... Hearos has there version of them, they are the same design, different colour, just as effective and cost like 5 times as much... Anyways they block out about 20db. I've turned my 6505+ 4x12 up to 7 with them in and been fine, no ringing or anything afterwards.

You just got to put them in right, pull your ear up and slide them in. They enhance the clarity of the sound too, and get rid of messy hissy noises... which is nice for your won personal listening but doesnt help much for everyone not wearing ear plugs. The faoms ones and lower quatlity hearo ones suck they dont really fit well, and dont block noise in a good way, they will muffle rather than cut out bad frequencies..
Reinhardt 18 Head
H&K Tubemiester 18 head
Blue 6505+ head

TC Electronics G Major
MXR phase 90, Pigtronix Echolution 2
Digitech Whammy (5th gen)

ETB Infinity x2
ETB Yoda

Frust
Whatever is cheap dude, doesn't really matter. Go to your local hardware store and get the biggest package they carry, they get gross after a while. And from my experience don't really compress right after washing.

There are some re-usable ones on the market too.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by Ethanb08
They enhance the clarity of the sound too, and get rid of messy hissy noises...

That's not something you should look for in earplugs. You want it to sound exactly the same, but quieter. Otherwise, you won't be able to hear everything the way it really sounds which sucks if you actually play.

Before I had my molded earplugs, I used rubber ones. I went to a Dream Theater concert, and the bassdrum just drowned out everything else. Recently, I was at a Porcupine Tree show in exactly the same venue, with my molded earplugs, and it sounded just perfect.

I'm always shocked at how few musicians use earplugs. I read a thread on another forum where someone had a hearing test and his ears were as bad as those of someone forty years older, after only 5 years of playing without earplugs. So yeah, be careful with your ears, you only get one pair.
I'm currently working on a system to generate MIDI from the motion of a guitar. More info coming soon.
Page 1 of 2