hey UG, world is a little happier today

i've had my strat-style Cort HBS-II refretted with Dunlop 6100 wire... and. it was like: "f.ck! is it the same guitar?"

bending is pure orgasm. no fret-outs, no effort, no accidental muting with your own bending finger, nothing. just concentrating on dynamics, vibrato and other things which make a glorious bend glorious. I believe the main thing here is how wide frets are, not the height. Also, they have much much smoother slicker feel. Easier sliding for sure. Trills, I can do them!

the tone. THE tone. round and full bodied. it has pianoesque qualities to it. sustain improved, but that's not the deal - the whole tone changed. not that woody now, it's become overly smooth and hm... it's like comparing hendrix or SRV tone to Gilmour.
actually I was really sceptical about tone improvement but it's not a placebo thing for sure

If you are wondering, the frets I had replaced were the small vintage stuff

Now you can congratulate me!
Originally Posted by Twist of fate
I thought the "clean" button was to clean out the inside of the amp automatically, so I never pressed it.

Originally Posted by DjBrandenburg
pedals are stupid
Last edited by Regensgeliebte at Dec 29, 2009,
awesome... im glad you enjoy your new fretwire
2008 M.I.A. HSS Strat
Marshall JCM 900 50w Dual Reverb
I knew that, like everything, Fret wire will alter your tone, playability however I didn't know it could have such an impressive effect. Re-fretting is usually one of the last things a guitar modder decides to change, reading this has definately bumped it up on my list.
Yeah, now you're gonna die wearing that stupid little hat. How does it feel?

Help me to live.

I make custom guitar wiring harnesses and I'm pretty damn good at it!
The best thing you can do to a guitar is play it!

But congrats, it is underestimated what wonders a refret can do to an instrument, well a much needed refret anyway! We dont want a load of "What fretwire shall i use?" threads popping up.
My Gear

Ibanez J Custom RG8570Z-BX - BKP Warpigs
ESP Eclipse II Full Thickness - BKP Nailbombs
Fender Mexican Strat - BKP Trilogy Suites.

Axe FX II - Matrix GT1000FX - Rocktron All Access.

Stinnett M7 in the works
sounds like who ever did it knew what they were doing, i wont refret guitars, im not good at it, and its hard to practice on guitars you love and dont want to ruin, but congrats with better tone comes better rocking
my gear//
GUITARS
ESP Horizon Custom
ESP M202BB
ESP HB300
Gibson LP Custom
Gibson V
AMPS
Orange Rockverb 50
Mesa Triple Recti
Marshall JCM800 2210
Wait, you couldn't do trills before switching to jumbo frets? You need practice, not fretwork.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
thats lame... stop trying to put fancy mods on guitar and just play the damn thing
Quote by lifesuckstomuch
Quote by Mangohabs
...great post

Quote by Headphonehead
@ Cobracarg: 1 word:Genius!!!
Ok can we stop sucking this dudes dick and deal with my question?
Wait, you couldn't do trills before switching to jumbo frets? You need practice, not fretwork.

I could, but now it's much easier. They sound like they should. Or is it just two weeks playing acoustic guitar strung with .12s made me a better player? I think both.

how much did that cost you to get done?

I don't think you can really compare prices here and in the USA
Refret + Bone nut cost me $90, but think how drastically level of income in Ukraine and USA differs

thats lame... stop trying to put fancy mods on guitar and just play the damn thing

yes sir, NOW I am going to play it day and night
you should always look fot the best in-between. Some mods some playing, they can't live without each other
I thought the "clean" button was to clean out the inside of the amp automatically, so I never pressed it.

pedals are stupid
Last edited by Regensgeliebte at Dec 29, 2009,
Quote by Equivalence
The first quote in your sig was more interesting than the whole fret-thing story.
But ok, since you asked for it...gratz mate

^True dat!
Welcome to the jumbo fret club!
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
FWIW, what you are experiencing is mainly due to quality fret work; not so much the fret size.

Good fretwork is paramount to a good playing guitar and why I learned to do it myself. You can make even the cheapest guitar play like a dream if you know how to do fretwork.
The first quote in your sig was more interesting than the whole fret-thing story.

neither is your post interesting, nor is your sig
I posted it not to tell how awesome I feel, but to tell all those guys unsure about doing proper service to their instrument instead of say... pickup swap

pedals are stupid
Quote by Regensgeliebte
neither is your post interesting, nor is your sig
I posted it not to tell how awesome I feel, but to tell all those guys unsure about doing proper service to their instrument instead of say... pickup swap

In most cases a pickup swap will do more for the sound of an instrument than a refret, and to be honest in most cases a refret isnt necessary, especially on newish instruments. A good setup with a fret dressing thrown in will do just as well, with newer instruments refretting is just throwing money away.

On older instruments a refret can bring an instrument back to life.

So do not dispense advice without knowing fully the circumstances, because if someone buys a new guitar and then refrets it, it will just be an epic waste of time
My Gear

Ibanez J Custom RG8570Z-BX - BKP Warpigs
ESP Eclipse II Full Thickness - BKP Nailbombs
Fender Mexican Strat - BKP Trilogy Suites.

Axe FX II - Matrix GT1000FX - Rocktron All Access.

Stinnett M7 in the works
Quote by Talentless
So do not dispense advice without knowing fully the circumstances, because if someone buys a new guitar and then refrets it, it will just be an epic waste of time

+3,14159
Waste of time AND money.

That said, congrats on your new fretwork
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by Talentless
In most cases a pickup swap will do more for the sound of an instrument than a refret, and to be honest in most cases a refret isnt necessary, especially on newish instruments. A good setup with a fret dressing thrown in will do just as well, with newer instruments refretting is just throwing money away.

On older instruments a refret can bring an instrument back to life.

I agree. Though, if after a few years go ahead.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by Regensgeliebte
I could, but now it's much easier. They sound like they should. Or is it just two weeks playing acoustic guitar strung with .12s made me a better player?

this.

The benefits of practicing on an acoustic with heavier strings and high(er) action are considerable.

(another month on the acoustic and you could probably have save your money on the fret job)