Hey guys.

I've got invited to my friends band to play bass (i play electric, but my brother has a bass geetar), which there doing easy covers at the moment (Nirvana, Foo Fighters, etc).

I was just wondering, what should i practice on bass?
Also, what are the Steve Vais, Paul Gilberts, John Petruccis of the bass world :P?

What are also some good shreddy bass licks/songs out there

Cheers,
Join the 7 String Legion!

RG7420 with Dimarzio Crunchlab + Liquifire set
Peavey Vypyr 75 with Sanpera I
Digidesign Eleven Rack
Sennheiser HD280 headphones
Behringer FCB1010 with EurekaProm

Call me Eddy
Well first you should practice all your scales and learn all your notes.
But everyone knows that.

As far as bass shredders I know too many.
Steve Di Giorgio, Jaco Pastorius, Cliff Burton, Billy Sheelan, Vicotor Wooten, Tony Choy, Jeroen Paul Thessling, Les Claypool, Justin Chanceller, Steve Harris, Alex Webster and Sean Malone.

Just to name a few.

As far as licks, remember that its not a guitar, the actions higher, the strings are farther apart and muting is crucial especially in that range. You're goin to want to work your way up. Start off with somthing like Peace Sells and work your way up to Only Ash Remains.
Last edited by corrda00 at Dec 29, 2009,
Quote by Quaned

I was just wondering, what should i practice on bass?
Also, what are the Steve Vais, Paul Gilberts, John Petruccis of the bass world :P?

What are also some good shreddy bass licks/songs out there

Cheers,

paul's old Mr. Big band mate Billy Sheehan is ridiculous, look up any of his stuff. most progressive/ technical metal bands (necrophagist, obscura, the faceless, etc.) tend to have very technical shreddy type bass playing.

also you might be interested in Bassinvaders (all bass side project of Markus Grosskopf from Helloween)
Last edited by theogonia777 at Dec 29, 2009,
John Myung, Billy Sheehan, Steve Harris, Cliff Burton, Jaco Pastorius, Victor Wooten, Les Claypool. There are also some guys that just play well but arent shredders, like Flea, Duff McKagan, Tom Hamilton and Feildy(though most would bash me for liking Korn)

EDIT: and how could I forget David Ellefson.
The greatest bass shredders were already named (I personally like Billy Sheehan). Good bass lines for practice:
Burn - Deep Purple
Heaven And Hell - Black Sabbath
Immigrant Song - Led Zeppelin
Sweet Child Of Mine - Guns N' Roses
Many ohers...
Quote by Dio10101
John Myung, Billy Sheehan, Steve Harris, Cliff Burton, Jaco Pastorius, Victor Wooten, Les Claypool. There are also some guys that just play well but arent shredders, like Flea, Duff McKagan, Tom Hamilton and Feildy(though most would bash me for liking Korn)

EDIT: and how could I forget David Ellefson.

Cliff Burton was actually a good bassist :O
Not just overrated like the other guys in metallica?

Digidesign Eleven Rack

Call me Eddy
Quote by Quaned
Cliff Burton was actually a good bassist :O
Not just overrated like the other guys in metallica?

How can Metallica be overrated when they are so popular? If this many people like something based on it musical merits alone, it can't really be overratted- it CAN be good music.

Yes, Cliff was an awesome bassist, have you ever tried to play any of his stuff? Do you understand what he is doing musically in his basslines? There really is alot going on when you listen to Cliff playing.

So, in conclusion, I recommend listening to Cliff Burton if you want to be a good bass player
Quote by chainsawguitar
How can Metallica be overrated when they are so popular? If this many people like something based on it musical merits alone, it can't really be overratted- it CAN be good music.

Yes, Cliff was an awesome bassist, have you ever tried to play any of his stuff? Do you understand what he is doing musically in his basslines? There really is alot going on when you listen to Cliff playing.

So, in conclusion, I recommend listening to Cliff Burton if you want to be a good bass player

I guess so aye.

Well playing bass with a pick or finger picking/ plucking?

Digidesign Eleven Rack

Call me Eddy
Cliff was one of the best bassists to ever live. When James and Lars found him, they were at a show listening to him play a solo (which was later released as Anesthesia on their Kill 'Em All album) and they though he was playing a normal guitar until they counted the strings. Many people have said he is the single best and most inspirational bassist who ever lived.

And I think their current bassist, Rob Trujillo, is underrated in my opinion. Anyone who can play Battery with finger picking deserves recognition.

Some other greats are John Myung (Dream Theater), Tony Levin (King Crimson), Steve Harris (Iron Maiden), John Paul Jones (Led Zeppelin), Les Claypool (Primus), Geddy Lee (Rush), Dave LaRue (Dixie Dregs), Flea(Red Hot Chili Peppers), John Entwistle (The Who), Paul McCartney (The Beatles), Chris Squire (Yes).
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Stay on topic guys, don't argue on his thread.

I'd say your best bet for practicing bass is to get the feel for it first. Do chromatic stuff until you get the fingers moving right for the bass. Then try learning some Nirvana.

After that, try learning some of YOUR favorite artists.
Quote by Superperfex
Stay on topic guys, don't argue on his thread.

I'd say your best bet for practicing bass is to get the feel for it first. Do chromatic stuff until you get the fingers moving right for the bass. Then try learning some Nirvana.

After that, try learning some of YOUR favorite artists.

Thanks for the tip man
My bands covering Nirvana atm >.>

Digidesign Eleven Rack

Call me Eddy
I love Billy Sheehan. Especially when he toured with Steve Vai
I'll pretend I can mod your amp but break it instead.
Quote by corrda00
Alex Webster and Sean Malone.

I cannot emphasize these two enough; Alex is just insane, everyone whio is interested in good music at all should listen to Blotted Science and pay attention to just exactly how mental the bass work is(while I'm on the subject Ron Jarzombek, the guitarist, is also crazily good... and the drummer... just listen to the band).

Sean also is just insane, Cynic's record stuff, Gordian Knot's two albums and his solo album Corlandt are all absolutely sterling works... even his bass lines on Dawning Of A Golden Age on Roadrunner United are crazy.

Check out a band called Dying Fetus as well, it's pretty brutal death metal but if you want to hear some seriously technical bass work then I suggest you check it out; having seen them live I can quite safely say that the bassist is one of the best out there right now.

Quote by Quaned
I guess so aye.

Well playing bass with a pick or finger picking/ plucking?

Learn to do both. Genereally you'll get more respect for playing with your fingers but anyone who knows anything about bass will tell you that being able to play with a pick is just another tonal option that you should have at your disposal just in case you ever need that distinct sound.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr at Dec 31, 2009,