Hi Guys,

I've been looking into the Vox AC4TV head and cab and was just wondering what people thought of it??

Thanks
its a good amp...i've only played them a few times at a friends house. It has a great overdrive tone for that 70s type of rock music, kinda like KISS type of stuff. It has a good mild tone for that blues/jazz type of feel. It also works very well with pedals. I tend not to use lots of effects but I have some just for fooling around and it seriously has one of the best tone for effects. But no amp beats my late 1980s Peavey Bandit 112
Quote by lifesuckstomuch
Quote by Mangohabs
...great post

Quote by Headphonehead
@ Cobracarg: 1 word:Genius!!!
Ok can we stop sucking this dudes dick and deal with my question?
This thing is like the girl of your dreams.

Looks hot, sounds better.
Gear:
Ibanez SZ320 -> Höfner Analouge Delay -> MXR GT-OD -> Laney GH50L -> T.C.Electronics GMajor -> Line6 4x12 w/ Celestion G12T-75

My Lyrics and Poems

"with golden hair and perfect eyes,

with hollow words and empty lies."
i liked it quite a bit, and was considering buy one at one point. i thought the amp was best in a lower gain style, but not quite clean. cleans were ok, but it was when it started to get a bit of crunch that the amp shone. didnt do a full on crunch as well as some of the other low watters IMO, but it would be good for some classic rock or gritty blues. i didnt think it would be good for anything with more gain than that though.
It does quite a lot of gain for a vintage style amp but it's not "designed" for it like modern amps are so that gives it this unique fuzzy voice. Sounds a bit like an Orange amp - the Tiny Terror is essentially an AC15 with a bost, that's kind of like what the AC4TV is too.
I have the combo version, and I love it! Despite what you may think, this thing can ****ing CRANK on the 4 watt setting, and even the 1 watt setting is pretty loud. Takes pedals really well and the cleans chime like only a VOX can. The overdrive is very low gain though, which is fine for me, but I don't know about what you play. Dirty blues, classic rock, and newer indie stuff works like a charm on this amp. Perfect for me.

The only complaints I have are that once you turn the volume up too high the overdrive gets kind of muddy and sloppy. However, that can be solved with a Tubescreamer. I use a BOSS SD-1 SuperOverdrive. Another thing is that you need to turn the volume at or lower than 9 o'clock to get a COMPLETELY clean sound. I mean NO distortion at all. It might be a hassle to other people but to me it's just a little nuance.

Granted, the head/cab version will sound slightly different because of the 12" speaker, as opposed to a 10", but all of the circuitry is the same.

Quote by dullsilver_mike
The resonant frequency of the clitoris is too low for the guitar players to take care of.

Quote by jackers1234
you sir, have just won for this statement. =D

Young Knees
buy it. best amp purchase of my life.

so warm but can be perfectly dirty. as said by others, it takes pedals well (i use a lot... check my profile for proof). I use it for practicing in my apartment (1/4w) but it still can keep up at band practices and jams (1-4w depending on how loud my drummer decides to be that day).

it's even better when combined with an amp stand, cuz then you can get some real good tones at lower volumes.
+1 on the use of a Boss SD-1. The SD-1 normally sounds good as a standalone unit too, though not as much with the AC4TV - where it instead works really well as it's intended function, a big ol' gain boost/extra gain stage. Matches the voicing quite well.
I found it sounded best with Single coils. it gave me slightly more control over the drive of the amp than with humbuckers. But with humbuckers, this amp sounds meaty. i could get Sabbath sounds out of it with my Les Paul, but i had to crank it on full power.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Yeah, it does get a bit doomy sounding crank. I found it much better with humbuckers though, a little fizzy with single coils.

The tone knob I find to be nearly useless though, except when I'm using certain pedals with it, I need to roll it down to make it sound unvoxxy. That's the most disappointing thing of this amp actually. That said I've never really used it on the 4w setting.
Quote by GURREN LAGANN
Yeah, it does get a bit doomy sounding crank. I found it much better with humbuckers though, a little fizzy with single coils.

The tone knob I find to be nearly useless though, except when I'm using certain pedals with it, I need to roll it down to make it sound unvoxxy. That's the most disappointing thing of this amp actually. That said I've never really used it on the 4w setting.

Oh, dude. that's where it shines. It's like amps that tap the transformer for differenc cabinets: it sounds best at full power.

Also: Mercury Magnetics has announced plans for an AC4 upgrade kit. From what ive seen/heard their VJ and Champ kits do, i can't wait
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
get the combo and a cab instead imho. I think the 8inch combo is actually only 175 at guitar center stores and it has a speaker out, 4w 16ohm same as the head. Best of both world's, something light to carry around and an option for a cab if necessary.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
The amp gets a lot of love here.

From what I've heard it goes from clean to Black Sabbath gain-levels and sounds really nice.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz