Page 1 of 2
So I was curious and wondering what the local metal scene is like in other parts of the world. So what are some of your favorite local metal bands and what is your city's metal scene like?
@KreatorRage

Be useful, and link to it.
Quote by CoreysMonster
Why, my pasty danish cracker, I believe you've got it!
how do we mean local?

id consider the UK folk/black my local scene but obviously some are from the other end of the country. but the the uk isnt the biggest country so....
Where I live, an Australian coastal town we've got a few decent bands. Mostly hardcore, some heavy rock. There's nothing better to do then have a gig ever month where all the hardcore bands rock up and play, and the kids throw down. The edge kids be edge kids, the DTD kids get drunk, pretty standard really.

Here's some bands if you wanna have a listen

http://www.myspace.com/wecanbedangerousau (my band)
http://www.myspace.com/floorislavalol
http://www.myspace.com/theartofher
http://www.myspace.com/thedreamlightdeparture
http://www.myspace.com/upinarmshardcore
http://www.myspace.com/inthewallsband
Who Cares?!
The Rev Is Dead
Argh
On playing the Paul Gilbert signature at the guitar store extensively, my missus sighed:
"Put it down now, It's like you love that guitar more than me!"
In Which I replied.
"Well it has got two F-Holes!"
Quote by Nameless742
Who Cares?!
The Rev Is Dead
Argh

None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
We've had some good local bands.
The Duskfall got really big, though unfortunately they quit.
http://www.myspace.com/theduskfa11

Machinae Supremacy seems to have built up quite a large fanbase, no one could tell that power/heavy metal with commodore 64 sounds would become popular.
http://www.myspace.com/machinaesupremacy

Helltrain is alright, though their latest album was a bit boring. Their first is solid death'n'roll though.
http://www.myspace.com/punkassrotnroll

We've had surprisingly large metal bands, even though we're a small city with a population of about 45.000 located at the far north of Europe.

Edit: Though I'm severely displeased with the lack of thrash, black metal and death metal in this town. Most new metal bands here seem to be sporting the melodeath/borderline metal core sound.
Last edited by Guitarmike123 at Dec 29, 2009,
Quote by UltimateDud
who's the Rev?
A7X drummer who was fairly good Unfortunately, now pretty much all of their fans are going to profess him as one of TEH GREATEZT because he's dead.
Quote by Steve08
A7X drummer who was fairly good Unfortunately, now pretty much all of their fans are going to profess him as one of TEH GREATEZT because he's dead.

That reminds me of Dimebag.
Only local metal band I can think of from the city I live in now is Clonecircle. And they suck.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBMZyAwv0-M

The metal scene here isn't that visible to me, but I haven't been looking very hard either tbh

EDIT: This was my 400th post
Quote by rg_metal
I love to utilize furniture to achieve the desired penetration.

UGH!
taste
kaygade
Last edited by Senor Kristian at Dec 29, 2009,
Well the most notable band in Leeds at the moment is probably Reth. Rather good Extreme Metal, seem to have a few different elements to their sound. Still need to check out their full-length in all honesty.

Tangaroa seem to be getting a fair bit of press nowadays too, really proficient stuff, saw them ages ago when I lived in Middlesbrough supporting Ephel Duath, crazy live show. Music is about a 6/10 for me personally, but hey, might be up some of your guys' alley.

Oh, there was also Send More Paramedics when they were still together, Really fun Crossover kind of stuff. Also saw them in Middlesbrough before I moved down here.

Snow are quite a good band too, a lot of promise, quite Opeth-influenced.

Theres more, but thats about all I can be arsed typing at the moment.
LAMMERGEIER
Disclaimer: Dyer's Eve can not be held responsible for the loss of time spent or the insult to your aural senses as a result of exploring this link
SYL.

That's it. And Iskra, but they're from Victoria.

EDIT: Forgot Annihilator, Tenet, Bison B.C. (who kinda suck). Iskra and SYL are the only ones I really like anyway.
Last edited by raincoffin at Dec 29, 2009,
Mainly it's the whole Metalcore/ copy A7X, BFMV kinda stuff here.

But we've also got one Power Metal band similar to Five Finger Death Punch who's really good. Every Sunday at 8:00 we have local bands on our rock station.
Quote by UltimateDud
who's the Rev?

The true Rev is from Sadistik Exekution and he's still very much alive and smashing guitars.
Shadilay.
Quote by morbid_death
The true Rev is from Sadistik Exekution and he's still very much alive and smashing guitars.

Well said, there's not a more krook, fukked up band out there!

But seriously...

Sydney is doing quite well atm there's a few dm bands surfacing as well as quite a few black metal bands.

Not to mention we have Naxzul!
I am me. Live with it.
Quote by DeAd-RiP
Well said, there's not a more krook, fukked up band out there!

But seriously...

Sydney is doing quite well atm there's a few dm bands surfacing as well as quite a few black metal bands.

Not to mention we have Naxzul!

Naxzul are only a stain of what they used to be! Luke should have stuck to doing Pestilential Shadows full time instead of running off with Naxzul.

Sydney is a bit quiet at the moment when it comes to the national stage. It seems to be the most bustling in Brisbane, but currently trading off with Melbourne with Brisbane and Melbourne bands constantly teaming up for gigs back and forth. It appears the trade mark Australian black-thrash is making a serious re-emergence too. Urgrund are already there, but watch out for Lustration too, they'll be the powerhouses of the aussie metal soon (in the D666/GOTH vein).

As for Adelaide and Perth.. no one gives a shit about them, they can do their own thing!
Shadilay.
Nothing ever happens in Adelaide anyway.
New To Town With A Made Up Name

In The Angel's City

Chasing Fortune And Fame
09/03/2012
Except for Cauldron Black Ram, everyone in SA should stick to making wine. In my opinion.
Shadilay.
terrible, we have like 4 actual metal bands, 1 thrash, 1 southern, 1 power, 1 melodeath.
There are so few shows and even fewer people going to see them. Our 1 promoter is amazing though and supports the scene so well opening his own label for local bands hosting all the shows and booking bus's for bigger shows up in toronto. Our scene is also kinda intermeshed into the punk scene and rock scene. Its like a orgy of music that fails to interest. Im hoping that when my band gets going we can pull in some dope crowds, i want to see some attendance picking up soon.
Jackson RR3 - BKP Painkiller/Warpig
Bugera 333XL 212
Pod Studio UX1
MXR Smart Gate
Hardwire CM-2
Quote by morbid_death
Naxzul are only a stain of what they used to be! Luke should have stuck to doing Pestilential Shadows full time instead of running off with Naxzul.

Sydney is a bit quiet at the moment when it comes to the national stage. It seems to be the most bustling in Brisbane, but currently trading off with Melbourne with Brisbane and Melbourne bands constantly teaming up for gigs back and forth. It appears the trade mark Australian black-thrash is making a serious re-emergence too. Urgrund are already there, but watch out for Lustration too, they'll be the powerhouses of the aussie metal soon (in the D666/GOTH vein).

As for Adelaide and Perth.. no one gives a shit about them, they can do their own thing!

That is indeed true about Nazxul.

Oh and recently I've been very impressed with local bands Daemon Foetal harvest and Synperium. And though not local (Melbourne), Alarum are ****ing mind blowing still. Canberra has also had a gem surface in the form of Aeon of Horus as well.
I am me. Live with it.
Canberra and central/south coast is doing pretty well. Again with the denim bands, but Kill for Satan (Canberra), Trench Hell (Gosford), etc etc are all pretty awesome.

I was done with Alarum about 6 or 7 years ago :P
Shadilay.
there is no metal scene here in victoria, AU that i know of the 5000 local bands i know of resemble this shape somewhat...

and a few black metal bands that i havent heard.
AND my band which is in the making and my solo video game metal project.
Quote by DeAd-RiP
Synperium.

Whaaaaaaat, this band blows more nuts than a Vietnamese ladyboy.
Quote by fumb duck
there is no metal scene here in victoria, AU that i know of the 5000 local bands i know of resemble this shape somewhat...

and a few black metal bands that i havent heard.
AND my band which is in the making and my solo video game metal project.

You know why there's 5000 core bands in Vic? Because core kids don't give a shit about peer pressure, social acceptance, appealing to a certain crowd or being "tr00". Kids get together and start playing music together to have fun and hopefully entertain people, none of this pretentious shit about which genres are gay and which aren't, none of this shit about who your influences are to prove how metal you really are, none of this artistic bullshit that drags so many bands into the muck and none of the stupid, petty, overhyped crap that bands feel the need to inflict on the rest of us. That's why your metal scene sucks.

Also, you know nothing about Victoria and the metal scene is actually huge.
GTFO.
Last edited by Magero at Dec 30, 2009,
Pretty much no scene to my knowledge in Bristol, which sucks, and I know very few musicians as well
Quote by Wretched_Spawn
IWhat he said.. and then some
^You guys have had Onslaught and Amebix.

You've also got Amputated apparently, lolololol.
LAMMERGEIER
Disclaimer: Dyer's Eve can not be held responsible for the loss of time spent or the insult to your aural senses as a result of exploring this link
Israeli metal scene used to be cool, now very quickly deteriorating and turnin into the retarded cousin of America's mainstream metal stream.

Still got a couple of cool bands floating around, though.
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.
All we have here is little screamo/hardcore "tryingtobemetalband" bands.

An if a live metal night is being advertised at a club thats all you really get cause the metal scene consists of shit and that makes more bands like those who are wanting to be a metal band but fail miserably.
Quote by 7stringusr
+99999999999999999999999999999999

Guitars

Ibanez XPT700 Xiphos
"Jackson Warrior" (still needs funding)

Amplol

Crate GT65

Pedals

Vox Satchurator
Cry Baby
Phraser

My Last.fm

Fallout 3 Data
Quote by Magero

You know why there's 5000 core bands in Vic? Because core kids don't give a shit about peer pressure, social acceptance, appealing to a certain crowd or being "tr00". Kids get together and start playing music together to have fun and hopefully entertain people, none of this pretentious shit about which genres are gay and which aren't, none of this shit about who your influences are to prove how metal you really are, none of this artistic bullshit that drags so many bands into the muck and none of the stupid, petty, overhyped crap that bands feel the need to inflict on the rest of us. That's why your metal scene sucks.

GTFO.

DAMN RIGHT, l3ITCHES
On playing the Paul Gilbert signature at the guitar store extensively, my missus sighed:
"Put it down now, It's like you love that guitar more than me!"
In Which I replied.
"Well it has got two F-Holes!"
Note to self, explore Melbourne's Black/Thrash scene.
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
Quote by Magero

GTFO.

but yeah, there IS a metal scene that being slowly thrown to the back of the closet and buried under all the core, we have destroyer 666! + i wasn't bagging anyone so dont go starting pointless fights.
Page 1 of 2